Automatic shifting really harshly in Sport mode

Lgb0250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
22 Mustang GT Premium, 22 Lexus 450h Luxury
I had a 19 that had the same characteristics and hated it. The Sport mode, not the car. I’ve tried the Sport mode once in my 22 and the feeling hasn’t changed at all. I’m a believer it’s just the nature of the beast. Awesome in WOT but terrible around town.
Sponsored

musclecar6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT premium Black/ Show Stopper Red.
I have a 2020 GT PP1 10 spd auto, that I bought new about a year and a half ago. I had the same experience as you with sport or sport plus fine if you are really getting on it, but heaves and bucks under light throttle, just cruising around. Also it will not rev match when paddle down shifting from 4 to 3, 3 to 2 or 2 to 1 In either sport or normal.

Just like you, I thought this is screwed up. Took it to the dealer who had supposedly a very sharp transmission tech on staff and he said it was normal. Well I like everything else about the car and have just said the hell with it and I’m not gonna worry about it. I’d heard the for 10 spd was not dialed in as well as the Camaro 10 spd that was co-developed between Ford and Chevy and now I know why.

You may have better luck, but I wouldn’t count on it.

OP
OP
wynand32

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
I have a 2020 GT PP1 10 spd auto, that I bought new about a year and a half ago. I had the same experience as you with sport or sport plus fine if you are really getting on it, but heaves and bucks under light throttle, just cruising around. Also it will not rev match when paddle down shifting from 4 to 3, 3 to 2 or 2 to 1 In either sport or normal.

Just like you, I thought this is screwed up. Took it to the dealer who had supposedly a very sharp transmission tech on staff and he said it was normal. Well I like everything else about the car and have just said the hell with it and I’m not gonna worry about it. I’d heard the for 10 spd was not dialed in as well as the Camaro 10 spd that was co-developed between Ford and Chevy and now I know why.

You may have better luck, but I wouldn’t count on it.
Thanks. I'm very strongly leaning toward my experience being "normal," which is fine as long as nothing's wrong. I'll find out more when I have my oil change and make sure the transmission fluid's topped off. If it is and they drive it and say it's normal, I'll live with it. The 15-minute warmup is something else I'll try in the meantime.

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
My 22 has acted like you described with the "bucking" & hard shifts in Sport/Sport+ when driving around town and lower speeds especially, since I got it last spring and when I took it in for an oil change last week, I insisted that they check the trans fluid level.

They resisted initially "we will have to get the trans up to temp & it is not all that easy so we would have to charge you for the time - about $30)". Probably thinking that would deter me but I said, fine just do it please.

Anyways, it was indeed low (I don't recall if it was quarts or liters, but it was more than 2 low). They acted surprised and did not end up charging me to top it off.

Over the last few days, I have drove it around 5 hours on my normal daily drives and so far the difference is noticeable, Sport/Sport+ drives like I would expect (not bucking & changing gears like a wild horse).

OP
OP
wynand32

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
My 22 has acted like you described with the "bucking" & hard shifts in Sport/Sport+ when driving around town and lower speeds especially, since I got it last spring and when I took it in for an oil change last week, I insisted that they check the trans fluid level.

They resisted initially "we will have to get the trans up to temp & it is not all that easy so we would have to charge you for the time - about $30)". Probably thinking that would deter me but I said, fine just do it please.

Anyways, it was indeed low (I don't recall if it was quarts or liters, but it was more than 2 low). They acted surprised and did not end up charging me to top it off.

Over the last few days, I have drove it around 5 hours on my normal daily drives and so far the difference is noticeable, Sport/Sport+ drives like I would expect (not bucking & changing gears like a wild horse).
Okay then, my plan to have the transmission fluid checked seems like a sound one. It's insane that a problem with the transmission fluid level that was identified on this forum a couple of years ago is still happening -- but that shouldn't surprise me, I guess.

Sponsored

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
Okay then, my plan to have the transmission fluid checked seems like a sound one. It's insane that a problem with the transmission fluid level that was identified on this forum a couple of years ago is still happening -- but that shouldn't surprise me, I guess.
If nothing else, it will give you the piece of mind that the level isn't the cause. BTW, me and my wife drive to/from work together and I didn't say anything the first couple of days after the level top off but in my head was thinking "man it is really shifting better in Sport now". The 3rd day I ask my wife if she has noticed anything different with how the car drives and she said "yeah, the shifting isn't throwing my head around like a bobble head, but I didn't want to say anything and jinx it".

After I drive for about 10-15 minutes, I almost always switch it to Sports mode because the response/acceleration is just much better to me.

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
My experience has been that it is very, very throttle position sensitive. If you aren’t giving it full throttle, there is a fine line between not enough and just enough. Very light throttle in mine is okay, but beyond that if you use too little you get really hard, jerky shifts. I have now found the sweet spot which for my car seems to be between 1/4 and 1/3. Try a variety of throttle openings off the line and see where you fall.

Robottrainer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Robottrainer
I posted this in the transmission forum as well, but I was hoping to highlight it a bit and get a quicker response. It's bugging me on this Thanksgiving Day (and a happy one to you!).

I just passed 1,000 miles and so thought I'd give Sports mode a try. While my transmission has been a little harsh in normal mode in downshifts when stopping and also at times around 45MPH, it's not been terrible.

However, in Sports mode, upshifts are brutal. They're harsh and clunky, to the point where the whole car shudders. My wife sitting in the passenger seat just said, "That's not right." I agree with her. The terrible shifts are 1-2, 3-4, 4-5, which is as far as I went before switching back to D.

What's everyone else's experience? I can't imaging this is normal, but then I'd expect to see more issues in Normal mode. The same happens when I keep the transmission in D and use to the switch to turn on Sports+ mode.

Edit: I suppose my specific question is, how harsh is too harsh?
I have a Roush tune in mine. Mine shifter hard but it was OK. They did a reflash to address another issue. After doing the 300km drive around in normal mode I noticed the 4th to 5th upshift in sport, sport plus or paddle shift has a intermittent rpm flare.

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
I just passed a year with my car just the other day. At one point I was going to ask this same question. But I never did due to someone else posting about it the same day I was about to. Since then this same question has been asked many times. You have to read through one of the pinned threads on the forum. You'll come to find out this is very common. Sport mode begs to be driven hard, the way it was meant to. If you baby it or pussy foot it, it will not be happy & will give you the symptoms everyone here is complaining about. I did exactly that & my problem went away. So when I'm normal driving, that's what I'll have it set on. But when I want to carve some pavement, I click over to Sport mode & drive it like it begs me to & no issues what so ever. So try that before you go through the hassle of checking your oil or going to a stealership. Just my .02

Cordero1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang
The answers to your problems can be found on post #6. Take the time to read through it. Enjoy! 🍿🍿🍿

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
ask Ford to flash the F-150 shift strategy to your car.
ok, that was a joke - but the Mustang trans tune was done by a retard 7yr old who thinks violent shifts are "cool". The F-150 team isn't run by idiots who play with Matchbox cars and works perfectly up and down, yes even in 'Sport' mode.

Short of driving your car thru the plate-glass doors at Ford HQ and dragging the A10 programmer across Detroit by a lasso, you need a trans tune (and not from the juvenile delinquents at Lund) to fix the abomination.

But check fluid levels first

Last edited:

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
Read the other thread. If you are under warranty, take it to the dealer and have the transmission fluid checked.

Mine acted crappy too, and after months of asking, made them check it. Oil was found to be 2 quarts low earlier and the trans fluid was also 2 quarts low.

The dealer didn't prep the car, properly.

Why, you ask? Shipping weight, every car shipped out 4 quarts of fluid short equals at least 8 lbs, times millions of cars/trucks = lots of money in shipping costs.

OP
OP
wynand32

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
Read the other thread. If you are under warranty, take it to the dealer and have the transmission fluid checked.

Mine acted crappy too, and after months of asking, made them check it. Oil was found to be 2 quarts low earlier and the trans fluid was also 2 quarts low.

The dealer didn't prep the car, properly.

Why, you ask? Shipping weight, every car shipped out 4 quarts of fluid short equals at least 8 lbs, times millions of cars/trucks = lots of money in shipping costs.
But can we assume that running the car with low transmission fluid does NOT cause problems that need to be fixed under warranty? Because Ford needs to factor in that cost as well.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
But can we assume that running the car with low transmission fluid does NOT cause problems that need to be fixed under warranty? Because Ford needs to factor in that cost as well.
there is no savings to be had for 8lbs. It's just one more example of Ford's commitment to "Quality is Job #1" mantra. What, you actually expect union workers to cross-check their work?

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
Look I gave you my experience and my take on the situation if it works for you great, if not, do your own thing, I'm done.
Sponsored