Sponsored

Automatic shifting really harshly in Sport mode

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Too bad you need a freaking lift to check the trans fluid. I have no idea what my level is. Is there a trick to reach it on the ground?
yes, dig a pit. :)
Sponsored

20Crimson18

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1
Mine would automatically downshift to 1st gear around 45MPH. Numerous trips to the shop and they couldn't find it. I told the mechanic to take it home and sure enough it happened. He was then determined to find the issue. It was crossed wires shorting. Amazing how many wires are stuffed in the steering wheel.
I'm assuming that you were just letting the electronics do its thing and this is why it went crazy. I have had to upshift the car to prevent the harsh kick down to 1st @45mph like you mentioned. I will pull the wheel apart to see if there are any wires crossed. FML!!!

OP
OP
wynand32

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT California Special
So, I made a drive into the Valley about 15 minutes away, and stuck it in Sports mode when I got there. This time it... wasn't that terrible. I gave it a little more throttle, and the shifts were more aggressive but not overly harsh (mostly). Just the 3-4 (I think, maybe 4-5) clunked a bit.

Still going to get my tranny fluid checked, but after today's drive I'm not quite as freaked out about it.

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
So, I made a drive into the Valley about 15 minutes away, and stuck it in Sports mode when I got there. This time it... wasn't that terrible. I gave it a little more throttle, and the shifts were more aggressive but not overly harsh (mostly). Just the 3-4 (I think, maybe 4-5) clunked a bit.

Still going to get my tranny fluid checked, but after today's drive I'm not quite as freaked out about it.
I got to enjoy my trans working well, after my trans fluid top off, for a whopping week, lol.

Not that this part is related to the trans but - on Wed morning when I woke up my car didn't auto start & I didn't think much about it and drove to work and don't recall it driving out of the norm.

After work, I start the car and it sounds awful, sputtering and missing and like it's going to stall & the check engine light is on. Turned it off and back on and it is running better but the check engine light stays on. Drove it home and it still was not running normally.

Took it to the dealership the next morning - it's driving terrible - in limp mode I assume.

The diagnostic showed cylinder misfires. They ended up "re-programming the PCM" with what they said was a new calibration. They tested it afterwards and did not detect any problems and asked me to pick it up.

Back to the trans - after a couple of days, it seems to be back to normal, engine wise at least but the trans shifting is back to being harsh, like it was before they found the low trans fluid level and topped it off.

I am hoping that it just may be the "learning" process after the PCM was flashed.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
I went round and round with this.

Now I just drive 10 miles or so, and then swap, and all is well. If I'm driving a cold car 2 mins to get some fast food breakfast and come back home, it stays in normal. I didn't beat on my 2019 until cyl head temps were at operating temp, so this is no different.

Sponsored

OP
OP
wynand32

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
So I had the initial oil change yesterday and the dealer installed the missing hood insulation cover (different thread). Got a call from the service advisor and the transmission fluid was indeed low but she didn't know by how much or what else was done. I'll find that out when I pick the car up today.

However, there's another case of low transmission fluid and harsh shifting. I can't wait to see how the tranny performs now that the fluid's where it should be.

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
So I had the initial oil change yesterday and the dealer installed the missing hood insulation cover (different thread). Got a call from the service advisor and the transmission fluid was indeed low but she didn't know by how much or what else was done. I'll find that out when I pick the car up today.

However, there's another case of low transmission fluid and harsh shifting. I can't wait to see how the tranny performs now that the fluid's where it should be.
When mine got topped off, it took a few drives before I noticed a big difference and then I was actually able to drive around town in Sport, Sport+ & track and it finally started shifting normally for the first time since I bought it about 8 months earlier.

I got to enjoy if for a whole week until my engine decided to have major issues (but that is also another thread...).

P.S. I would double check your oil level after they changed it, just to make sure they did it correctly.

OP
OP
wynand32

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
When mine got topped off, it took a few drives before I noticed a big difference and then I was actually able to drive around town in Sport, Sport+ & track and it finally started shifting normally for the first time since I bought it about 8 months earlier.

I got to enjoy if for a whole week until my engine decided to have major issues (but that is also another thread...).
Unless I'm misremembering what the advisor said, they also reset the tranny (still not sure what that means). So I think there will be a relearning process, or whatever it's called. I'll try to be patient while I wait for the improvements. :)

OP
OP
wynand32

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
What's also interesting is that I spoke with the transmission guy, who seemed like he knew what he was talking about, and he said that low transmission fluid would certainly cause the symptoms I described but that he'd never seen it from the factory. If it wasn't the fluid and he thought it wasn't shifting correctly, he was going to go to a next step that now I can't remember exactly what it was he said. Darn it. But it took six hours, whatever it was.

merlin803

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
clay
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 P0004
What's also interesting is that I spoke with the transmission guy, who seemed like he knew what he was talking about, and he said that low transmission fluid would certainly cause the symptoms I described but that he'd never seen it from the factory. If it wasn't the fluid and he thought it wasn't shifting correctly, he was going to go to a next step that now I can't remember exactly what it was he said. Darn it. But it took six hours, whatever it was.
The trans fluid top off definitely made a big difference with my "harsh" shifting so I am confident that a low level could cause those types of symptoms.

If you didn't see my above post edit regarding double checking your oil level after your oil change, I would definitely recommend it.

While I can't prove that my oil change was related to my engine issues, I had about 8,000 miles on it with no engine issues, until about a week after my oil change...

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
he was going to go to a next step that now I can't remember exactly what it was he said.
how does your phone not have a record audio function? or pen+paper?

OP
OP
wynand32

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
how does your phone not have a record audio function? or pen+paper?
Well, my phone does have an app that records but it stopped working a couple weeks ago and I never bothered to find out. And I was busy when I got the call, hence the few details. :)

And besides, the conversation about next steps with the transmission were standing there at the dealership and I didn't think to write them down. I figured I'd worry about it if it happened.

OP
OP
wynand32

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
For what it's worth, here's a description of the transmission service. Their test drive definitely highlighted the issues I had. Looks like I was 2 quarts (!) low on fluid, which seems like a lot.

Looks like they didn't reset anything but did test it after. I'm really looking forward to driving it home.

1672164237358.jpeg

OP
OP
wynand32

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
BTW, how much damage/wear could it have done to drive for about 1,200 miles on low transmission fluid?

OP
OP
wynand32

wynand32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
So, just picked up the car and drove it home, about a 20 miles trip with a mix of freeway and side streets. It's raining, though, so I couldn't go crazy with it.

So, the transmission tech said he did an "accelerated break-in" process, which I think means that it reset the transmission tables. He said it would take a little while to work everything out and might still be harsh for a bit. But once it settles in and particularly learns my driving patterns, all should be good.

Interestingly, normal mode shifting is already smooth as silk. Night and day difference from before, and I'm certain it's not just placebo. Where it would shift harshly 1-2/3, 3-4, and especially 4-5, it's now entirely smooth. Almost like driving a new car.

In Sports mode at low throttle, it's still a bit rough at times. The only "bucking" shift I noticed, though, was 3-4 a few times, and I'm hoping that's just the learning process and it will balance out. Things were better at higher throttle, although again, it was raining so I took it pretty easy.

I think it's safe to say that if you have any problems with your transmission, the very first thing to do is get the fluid level checked. And the extra care the technician gave to the car was very appreciated.
Sponsored