šŸ˜¬ thanks

Kona5.0h

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nicholas
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt
Hi! Should these ā€œgearā€ indicators be backlit/ turn un at night? Mine donā€™t and I find it curiousā€¦ thanks!

9C3C2BCD-D503-4900-B3B3-60E92645BEF2.jpeg
Should be but they arenā€™t. Stupid I changed my auto shifter out for a pistol grip and threw on a manual boot. Not trying to be a manual just looks cleaner. GM doesnā€™t have PRND next to the shifter for the automatic Corvettes.

Ransom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang GT, 09 Challenger Srt8
My 18 does.

Sponsored

Nikujaga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Hi! Should these ā€œgearā€ indicators be backlit/ turn un at night? Mine donā€™t and I find it curiousā€¦ thanks!

9C3C2BCD-D503-4900-B3B3-60E92645BEF2.jpeg
My 2018 is illuminated. Ford deleted that in later S550 Stangs.

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
i think at one point those letters did light up orange, but in 2020 (i think) Ford removed that and the glovebox light for who knows why
"cost savings"

šŸ¤£

My $0.02 is worth more than the cost cutting Ford saved here.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I guess that's what gets us a V8 RWD performance car at a sub-stratospheric price though.
I keep hearing this, but frankly I don't get it. So it has a V8. So what? A V8 is still a lump of metal with some holes in it, through which some pistons move up and down. OK, you have eight pistons instead of four, eight spark plugs instead of four, but that doesn't mean it should cost an arm and a leg.
Let's put it this way. How much is a crate Coyote? I believe it's about $10K give or take, right? That leaves between $30K and $40K, depending on the optional extras, for the rest of the car. And you get a car that's much more sloppily built, with noticeably worse materials, than one that costs just $30K to $40K altogether, engine included.
So, the fact that it has a V8 doesn't seem like a good excuse to me.

Sponsored

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
I keep hearing this, but frankly I don't get it. So it has a V8. So what? A V8 is still a lump of metal with some holes in it, through which some pistons move up and down. OK, you have eight pistons instead of four, eight spark plugs instead of four, but that doesn't mean it should cost an arm and a leg.
Let's put it this way. How much is a crate Coyote? I believe it's about $10K give or take, right? That leaves between $30K and $40K, depending on the optional extras, for the rest of the car. And you get a car that's much more sloppily built, with noticeably worse materials, than one that costs just $30K to $40K altogether, engine included.
So, the fact that it has a V8 doesn't seem like a good excuse to me.
Find me a V8 in a true premium brand that is at the same price point.

It's all tied to the development cost of an engine that has limited application. The fact that the Coyote is used in the best selling vehicle in America (the F150) along with our Mustangs spreads that cost out and makes our cars affordable. But in the end, we are still buying a Ford, and Fords have never been known as "premium" cars. Compared to BMWs and Volvos (two "premium-ish" brands that I have owned), there is just no comparison, especially in the small details.

What really bothers me about Ford these days is that they are not designing in quality. Quality can be designed in with no impact on manufacturing cost (and possibly even a reduction in cost). The industry-wide recognition that quality is "Problem #1" at Ford proves that they have totally missed the boat on this one.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Find me a V8 in a true premium brand that is at the same price point.
That's because you're paying for the premium brand part more than for the V8 itself.
That's the fallacy. You see V8 engines in premium brands, which are expensive by nature, and therefore you think V8s should be expensive. But they shouldn't. They're only expensive because the market has come to accept the idea of them being expensive, because premium brands are the only ones that still make them today - apart from Ford.

Last edited:

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, they got rid of V8 because of emissions and power, replaced them with twin turbo V6. V8 remained in some of the flagships, but not N/A but again with twin turbo. They got rid of those too now like AMG C63...

We pay the high price to get N/A V8 but it's not because the V8 is costly. Anyway with Mustang, it's actually still pretty cheap, even for 80kā‚¬ incl. VAT. BMW M4, Audi RS5 or Lexus cost much much more.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
That's because you're paying for the premium brand part more than for the V8 itself.
That's the fallacy. You see V8 engines in premium brands, which are expensive by nature, and therefore you think V8s should be expensive. But they shouldn't. They're only expensive because the market has come to accept the idea of them being expensive.
So my original comment still stands. Fords is a NOT premium brand, and there are very few choices when comes to finding a V8 other than premium brands. Chevy and Dodge are getting out of the game and they have the exact same level of "non-premiumness" that our Mustangs have anyway.

So maybe I should have said what other options are there other than premium brands with a V8?

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
So maybe I should have said what other options are there other than premium brands with V8 performance?
There aren't. Which is why Ford can afford to charge whatever they want. But that doesn't mean the Mustang is cheap. It's extremely expensive for what it is, it's just that the market is willing to pay the price for lack of better options.
That's why removing a glove box light or a shifter backlight to save a few cents is preposterous to say the least. You're charging premium prices for a car built to Eighties standards, then remove a light bulb to cut costs? Really?
Sponsored

Last edited: