Sponsored

Best CAI

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
I'm a newbie here...just signed up a few days ago. I have a question that I'm sure has been discussed many times before, but I can't find it in any of the posts. I recently purchased a 2022 Mustang GT automatic. I'm looking to purchase a cold air intake for this car, and I've narrowed it down to the Injen EVO 9202, or the JLT (now S&B) CAI-75-5147D. Both systems are closed box dry filters. I've read good things about both of them. I figured this would be the place to ask to get a better opinion on these two systems. I don't plan on running this car at the track, just some spirited driving elsewhere. I also don't want to void my warranty, so I'm not considering anything that requires a tune. I'd be happy to just pick up the 10 HP and 10 ft/lbs of torque that the '22 model lost from previous years. Appreciate any insight anybody can provide.
jlt, pmas are the most popular we offer, but we have a ton of brands if there is something specific your looking for

feel free to hit me up for any of your mod questions

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I'll echo what many have said. Save your money unless you plan on a tune or you just want it for looks for car shows or something. I did a Roush CAI originally without a tune and all I saw were higher temps. I did end up going with the Ford Performance Calibration Pack which has the GT350 CAI, bigger throttle body and a tune/calibration and I get to keep the warranty.

OP
OP

BobKool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT 5.0L automatic
Consensus seems to be that it's a waste of money installing a CAI that doesn't require a tune. In further researching this, I stumbled upon the PMAS system that boasts an improvement of 20 rwhp without a tune. Apparently they claim to do this by including in the kit a MAS with that's precisely calibrated to their CAI. Anybody have any experience with this?

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Welcome!
I've been there where u are 2 years ago. And I've heard 50% people saying does something 50%saying the best one is the OEM .
So i started to test them on the street with data log and on the dyno.
The JLT does gain a good amount only if you get one that requires a tune.
And no ,just the tune does not do a lot.
Neither just the JLT.

The IAT PROBLEM is real to a certain point.. you do 1/4racing? Maybe a close system is better (i repeat maybe cause i do roadcourse and i have no exp there although i believe that an Open CAI gets way more mass flow ,tested with datalog, and get colder sooner that a closed one)

Do roadcourse ? Then open CAI gives u more power.

Some rolls on the highway? CAI wins again.
And also slighty "whistle" when floor it.

I have the JLT in my racecar.
Hope this help.
Alessandro

20220326_081008_HDR~2.jpg

Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
So.... Ford's MAF isn't precisely calibrated? Again, does it make any sense that Ford would invest millions of dollars just to be fooled by a stupid little tube? Any gains you're going to get are going to have to come at the sacrifice of something else the original design chose to keep i.e. drivability, emissions, etc. That sacrifice might be worth it to you but you aren't going to get 20 free HP for nothing.

2022 Mach 1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cameron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1...2014 Mustag GT whipple supercharger
There is a reason Dustin @whipple recommends a closed box.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Consensus seems to be that it's a waste of money installing a CAI that doesn't require a tune. In further researching this, I stumbled upon the PMAS system that boasts an improvement of 20 rwhp without a tune. Apparently they claim to do this by including in the kit a MAS with that's precisely calibrated to their CAI. Anybody have any experience with this?
PMAS “NO Tune” is in fact a No ECU transfer function change. The supplied PMAS MAF sensor has been calibrated for the PMAS 120mm MAF housing diameter.
Kook-Aid drinker or not the PMAS No Tune is a tuned up custom MAF sensor to get the transfer functions correct. The advertised 20 HP isn’t Fake News.
There’s no other CAI company that offers a custom calibrated MAF sensor for larger than stock MAF housing diameters.

Last edited:

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Stock box with drop in. Keeps iats down and flows well. Being a 22 lose the HC trap too. Save the $ for another mod worth more power like tuning for e85 etc.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Do roadcourse ? Then open CAI gives u more power.
I did extensive testing between the stock 18 up and the GT350 CAI.

The 350 is the winner by about 1.5 LBS/min averaged over 12 days.

I also tested the 350 with and without a cover making it closed. I saw no difference. Again averaged over 12 days, 3 tests each open and closed per day. Each open and closed test were back to back. It was one test in the AM one around noon and one late at night.

I tried to get the most diverse atmospheric conditions to get a true sample.

Some tests were at 50 degrees and some were over 90. I did three tests 60 to 130 pulls. After I found the stock box down consistantly I quit testing it. Only had 9 total tests with it.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I was surprised there was no improvement without the cover due to the way I made my cover. It shrouds the top of the filter. I mostly made it to keep rain water out.

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
I did extensive testing between the stock 18 up and the GT350 CAI.

The 350 is the winner by about 1.5 LBS/min averaged over 12 days.

I also tested the 350 with and without a cover making it closed. I saw no difference. Again averaged over 12 days, 3 tests each open and closed per day. Each open and closed test were back to back. It was one test in the AM one around noon and one late at night.

I tried to get the most diverse atmospheric conditions to get a true sample.

Some tests were at 50 degrees and some were over 90. I did three tests 60 to 130 pulls. After I found the stock box down consistantly I quit testing it. Only had 9 total tests with it.
Interesting. The JLT is even bigger (and less flow) so probably even more .
My test with logs was with a 350 Ported mani and JLT CAI with and without a close lip.
PULLS IN 4TH AND 5TH gear .we were expecting some "ram" effect in the closed system.
Results were opposite :
I've seen 1.5-2 lbs /min more air in the Open Box vs closed one.
But,
I do have a massive hood louver right above the air filter so i think i "fish" more air that is why i have more air in the open CAI

this,together with your test seems to confirm that the closed box is less performing than open one.

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
Stock box with drop in. Keeps iats down and flows well. Being a 22 lose the HC trap too. Save the $ for another mod worth more power like tuning for e85 etc.
yeah, i did this and yesterday just cruising at 67mph got around 30mpg's on the highway.
throttle response seems improved as well. my iat temps are closer to ambient as well, i guess because less stuff to heatsoak = less heatsoak.

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
IAT measured behind the Throttle body would prove to be interesting compared to MAF sensor IAT reading.
Sponsored