Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I have no FHE with PMAS and their Mustang products, but I had one of their no-tune intake setups on my 5.0 F150 and the difference was night and day. The throttle response was unreal.

It would still be on the truck today if it hadn't been in the shop several times for under hood warranty work and I didn't want to deal with potential flak at the dealer, not to mention I didn't like how the air filter sealed to the airbox lid (or didn't, as the case probably was).
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I would go with the OEM box,
The OEM box, 18 up is consistently flowing less air than the GT350 box. About 1.5 lbs less air. I think it is due to the filter maxing out on the 18 up. Tested with and without the big mouth.

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
The OEM box, 18 up is consistently flowing less air than the GT350 box. About 1.5 lbs less air. I think it is due to the filter maxing out on the 18 up. Tested with and without the big mouth.
Can't beat good research and quantifiable results.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
If you never go beyond the OEM tune, the stock CIA is fine. For instance, there are 2 flavors for the ROUSH CAI

ROUSH CAI
Ships a larger than stock ID intake tube. Also included is an insert of a smaller ID that mirrors the OEM intake, reducing the CFM.

Flavor #1
CAI with insert is for the OEM tune, could be said is just a cosmetic change, like the fake side scoops.

Flavor #2
Unrestricted, + ROUSH soft tune ........... does in fact make difference in performance.

As old Harvey might say and now you know the rest of the story.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Stock.
20221130_074354_HDR.jpg

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
PMAS “NO Tune” is in fact a No ECU transfer function change. The supplied PMAS MAF sensor has been calibrated for the PMAS 120mm MAF housing diameter.
Kook-Aid drinker or not the PMAS No Tune is a tuned up custom MAF sensor to get the transfer functions correct. The advertised 20 HP isn’t Fake News.
There’s no other CAI company that offers a custom calibrated MAF sensor for larger than stock MAF housing diameters.
Just to tag on, that CAI / MAF package worked flawlessly for me. I did do some things to help lower IATs which is an issue on an open element. In Texas, you have to do that! I think PMAS now offers a new version that draws air from the fender well. I was thinking of going that route until deciding to switch to a Power Pack 2 setup, which means the car now has a GT350 intake as part of the new setup. IMO it does a much better job of keeping hot air out than the original PMAS. It is more closed off and has a snorkel for the intake charge. Of course, the best temps are with a stock box.

mikengail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible A10
So, in your opinion, do you think the MAF that PMAS included made any difference Mike, or is it just window dressing that no other aftermarket CAI offers? That's kind of the way I'm leaning, since if it was actually effective, all the other manufacturers would have followed the same route and included a MAF with their systems also.
So, I'm not sure what you mean by MAF. You have to use the stock MAF sensor that came with your car from Ford when you install the PMAS. The PMAS model of CAI that I used also required a tune recalibration. It's readily apparent that the intake tube between the throttle body and the air filter are different from the PMAS to the stock system. I never actually measured length or diameter dimensions of the intake tube though. Still, there must be enough of a difference to require a new tune.

I had seen and read some information on the subject of CAI vs stock intake in both dyno testing environments (open hood w/ large shop fan blowing towards the front of the car) and simulated real world environments with the hood closed, but without the shop fan. My source was mostly articles and videos from Alejandro (Alex) Flores of Lund Performance.

My thoughts are that at high speed, I would suspect not much difference. Just an opinion, as I didn't test that. However, at the drag strip or a street light, the hood would be down. In those kinds of scenarios, I felt that my "ported" 2018+ stock outside air solution would be optimal. Now, I didn't test at the local drag strip, because my car is a convertible and I still don't have a required roll cage. Hope this helps. Sorry, for the late response...

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
So, I'm not sure what you mean by MAF. You have to use the stock MAF sensor that came with your car from Ford when you install the PMAS. The PMAS model of CAI that I used also required a tune recalibration. It's readily apparent that the intake tube between the throttle body and the air filter are different from the PMAS to the stock system. I never actually measured length or diameter dimensions of the intake tube though. Still, there must be enough of a difference to require a new tune.

I had seen and read some information on the subject of CAI vs stock intake in both dyno testing environments (open hood w/ large shop fan blowing towards the front of the car) and simulated real world environments with the hood closed, but without the shop fan. My source was mostly articles and videos from Alejandro (Alex) Flores of Lund Performance.

My thoughts are that at high speed, I would suspect not much difference. Just an opinion, as I didn't test that. However, at the drag strip or a street light, the hood would be down. In those kinds of scenarios, I felt that my "ported" 2018+ stock outside air solution would be optimal. Now, I didn't test at the local drag strip, because my car is a convertible and I still don't have a required roll cage. Hope this helps. Sorry, for the late response...
They offer two kits. One with their MAF (no tune req’d) and another with just the CAI (tune req’d).

I ran it both ways with no trouble.

mikengail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible A10
They offer two kits. One with their MAF (no tune req’d) and another with just the CAI (tune req’d).

I ran it both ways with no trouble.
Oh, OK. I understand now. Thanks for clearing that up for me...
Sponsored