E85 tune... is it worth it?

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I'm not looking for more performance and I don't drive a lot... 2500 miles a year. But E85 is $1.50 a gallon cheaper than premium. So, I'm wondering if it's worth the expense to swap over? I have heard it just requires a tune, but that seems a little too easy.
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Yes, it’s worth it and all that is required on your car is a tune. Cleaner burn and more power. Do it!

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
If you’re not looking for performance and driving 2500 miles a year. At 15mpg average for both fuels you’re looking at like $250 savings a year.

But that’s not necessarily a good measure as E85 mpg is worse than 93. So really it makes no sense for your desires if increased performance is not the intent.

Crash89

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
You won’t save money. On my F-150, it’s a wash due to the reduced mileage of E-85. But at 2,500 miles per year, does it really matter?

performance wise, it’s a nice improvement.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Balr14

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Yeah, the 2500 miles a year is always a sticking point for just about everything, along with my age (79 and not likely to be driving more than 3 - 4 years).

Driv3n to Dr1ve

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang v6 6 speed manual
It’s great for performance, but I wouldn’t let it sit in the tank for months on end without driving. Also if you live in a cold climate it makes starting the car more of a hassle.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
E85 is the best gas you can run in the car if you are looking for a cheap high octane gas with excellent knock resistance. It costs nowhere near as much as other race gases like ms109 by VP. Sure there are expensive blends of E85 out there but for most ap;ications what you get from the pump is all you'll need.

The only drawback to E85 would be in the case where you do a power adder you need to upgrade your fuel system, but this is well worth it because of the safety and potential that it adds to the vehicle, it also does cause the car to burn through your tank a little quicker but it is really not that bad honestly.

E85 burns cooler, is more knock resistant than 91/93 and while it does burn a little faster, it is way cheaper than 91/93 and the MPG hit really isn't that bad depending on how you drive.

Before I put the blower on my car I ran E85 from the time I got it until the blower went on and once I do the fuel system it'll be on E85 once more.

We offer a flex fuel tune that takes alot of the guesswork out of the equation. On an n/a car you can just fill up with "flex fuel" at the pump and the car will learn what is in the tank and adjust based on what it sees.

What mods and what year is the vehicle? in the case of the gen 1/2 you just need a tune depending on mods. It is absolutely worth it

- Hunter

OP
OP
Balr14

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
My car is a 2018 GT premium convertible. It has 18k miles and no mods. A10 with 3.15 gears, so basic standard convertible trim.

OP
OP
Balr14

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
It's not about saving a few dollars, it's more about not feeling like I'm being ripped off.

Sponsored

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
Definitely not a rip off. It gets great results and it makes a world of difference when it comes to the trans shifting, we firm it up and change the mapping to a more performance oriented one. We also can fine tune it to your liking And, we do not charge for revisions or added tunes. This is a huge plus of going with us

young at heart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 GT vert A10 / 23 Mach 1 A10 / 23 Mach 1 Tremec
Definitely not a rip off. It gets great results and it makes a world of difference when it comes to the trans shifting, we firm it up and change the mapping to a more performance oriented one. We also can fine tune it to your liking And, we do not charge for revisions or added tunes. This is a huge plus of going with us
Livernois, a few questions about your E85 tune when you have a chance:

Will it work successfully on a 2022 GT?

Is it a flex tune so that you can mix and match fuels based on availability?

To what extent is it a “set it and forget it” tune, that is to say can you forget about it after installation without back-and-forth adjustments, etc. ?

What sort of hp increases can be reasonably expected over the 2022’s stock 450 with various fuels?

Any other thoughts to someone not familiar with tuning?

Thanks!

P.S. Manual trans.

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
Livernois, a few questions about your E85 tune when you have a chance:

Will it work successfully on a 2022 GT?

Is it a flex tune so that you can mix and match fuels based on availability?

To what extent is it a “set it and forget it” tune, that is to say can you forget about it after installation without back-and-forth adjustments, etc. ?

What sort of hp increases can be reasonably expected over the 2022’s stock 450 with various fuels?

Any other thoughts to someone not familiar with tuning?

Thanks!

P.S. Manual trans.

So we do have a tune for flex fuel for the 2022 mustang!

This tune is a flex fuel tune so all you need to do is put 93 in it or e85 and the car will learn what is in the tank based off of several things it sees through various sensors.

There is a learning process you need to do. Drive the car around for 15-20 minutes without going WOT or staying stationary for too long so the car can learn what it needs to trim to, say you fill up today with e-85 and then lets say next week you go to fill up with e85 you will need to do the learn process as "e85" at the gas pump is not always e85, it can range at some pumps e30-e85. Also the Tuner has a neat ability to tell you real time as the car is learning what the ethanol content it is seeing is! Besides the relearn process there is nothing you need to do on your part. Also there is no relearn needed if you have been constantly filling with 93 but, once you feel the power of the "dark side" (e85) you'll never want to go back!

for power numbers, usually you will pick up on a stock car in the range of 40hp with 93 in the tank. The e85 will add about another 10hp on top of this on a stock car, so it's a nice bump. Also the e85 allows the car to have more punch lower in the rpm range due to the timing you can get out of it.

These files are all very well vetted. We tune thousands of mustangs and people love our tunes! We do alot of testing and R&D before we release to the public. We are also one of the few companies that are offering 50 state legal tunes. The tune process is very simple and just takes a little bit of your time. WE also offer tunes for bolt ons, and several combinations

If you have any questions, let me know!

OP
OP
Balr14

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I meant paying $5 a gallon for gas is a ripoff. Your tuner module appears to be on back order.

Last edited:

Mspider

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT
So we do have a tune for flex fuel for the 2022 mustang!

This tune is a flex fuel tune so all you need to do is put 93 in it or e85 and the car will learn what is in the tank based off of several things it sees through various sensors.

There is a learning process you need to do. Drive the car around for 15-20 minutes without going WOT or staying stationary for too long so the car can learn what it needs to trim to, say you fill up today with e-85 and then lets say next week you go to fill up with e85 you will need to do the learn process as "e85" at the gas pump is not always e85, it can range at some pumps e30-e85. Also the Tuner has a neat ability to tell you real time as the car is learning what the ethanol content it is seeing is! Besides the relearn process there is nothing you need to do on your part. Also there is no relearn needed if you have been constantly filling with 93 but, once you feel the power of the "dark side" (e85) you'll never want to go back!

for power numbers, usually you will pick up on a stock car in the range of 40hp with 93 in the tank. The e85 will add about another 10hp on top of this on a stock car, so it's a nice bump. Also the e85 allows the car to have more punch lower in the rpm range due to the timing you can get out of it.

These files are all very well vetted. We tune thousands of mustangs and people love our tunes! We do alot of testing and R&D before we release to the public. We are also one of the few companies that are offering 50 state legal tunes. The tune process is very simple and just takes a little bit of your time. WE also offer tunes for bolt ons, and several combinations

If you have any questions, let me know!
So your saying the gain from E85 is only 10hp compared to a 93 tune?
Sponsored