Thoughts on Engine Machine Work Quote

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Got a quote for engine machining and parts on my 2015 mustang gt.
Piston had a hole in it and piston rings melted to piston. Piston scraped the sides of the cylinder wall.
1660097144555.png

Total Cost Machine Work (Heads / Block): $2,060
Total Cost Parts: $3,522.00
Total Cost: $5,582

What do you guys think?
I think that the .030 bore is too much for the 2nd gen coyote and it severly limits finding pistons. I'm hoping the .030 is just the initial quote and not what they think needs to be taken off.

I think I am okay with the machine work but I think I want to try to find different/cheaper parts.
Car is currently N/A and I doubt it will see high hp for quite awhile. So while I want to future proof it, spending 6k is too much for me (considering how well the stock engine does when running right).
Thinking either getting a quote for resleeving the damaged cylinder instead of boring the whole block, allowing me to run a stock piston and keep my other pistons/rods. Or trying to find cheaper pistons.

Don't think I need the upgraded spring kit or main studs also. Although if someone could chime in I have been thinking more about N/A cams. Think it would be best if I kept vct though and I think MMR recomends deleting vct if upgrading springs and retainers.
Sponsored

GregO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550 GTPP
Scrap your motor and find a low mileage engine out of a wrecked Gen2 S550.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Scrap your motor and find a low mileage engine out of a wrecked Gen2 S550.
$8k+. Couldn't find a cheap motor

Also I probably only need the shortblock. Headwork is just a precaution incase the valves were damaged

mejohn50

Intergalactic Snail
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mitch
Vehicle(s)
slow junk
A brand new block is <$900 from Ford. Stock rods and pistons from eBay or something. Get your crankshaft inspected and cleaned up if needed. Measure it for bearings and throw it together. Probably the cheapest way to put a stock short block together.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Prices seem ok, although not sure about that 0.030 boring job. I don't think the sleeves are anywhere near thick enough to support that and I didn't see a line item for new sleeve installation.

Any boring should be done just enough to cleanup any scarring, not a set amount especially on the sleeves of a Coyote. To me that just sounds like a generic line item and one that might not be all that necessary or even possible.

Sponsored

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
A brand new block is <$900 from Ford. Stock rods and pistons from eBay or something. Get your crankshaft inspected and cleaned up if needed. Measure it for bearings and throw it together. Probably the cheapest way to put a stock short block together.
I think it would be cheaper if I just had them replace the damaged sleeve and buy a new stock piston.

OP
OP
tdstuart

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Prices seem ok, although not sure about that 0.030 boring job. I don't think the sleeves are anywhere near thick enough to support that and I didn't see a line item for new sleeve installation.

Any boring should be done just enough to cleanup any scarring, not a set amount especially on the sleeves of a Coyote. To me that just sounds like a generic line item and one that might not be all that necessary or even possible.
Ya I don’t even see any oversized pistons that are that big I think they just put that in there. I think .020 is max oversize bore on stock sleeves.

I asked them how much it would be to just replace the sleeve and bore to standard. Don’t think I will need upgraded pistons for a long time. Just gonna replace my rings/bearings.

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
you can not bore a coyote .030 and find pistons. they sound like the do a lot of chevy work. they should be looking at .010 or .020 max. i have a built gen2 for $3500 ready to go

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
he needs to get a new block is $770
rods $34 each piston $37 each fix for under $1500

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
you can not bore a coyote .030 and find pistons. they sound like the do a lot of chevy work. they should be looking at .010 or .020 max. i have a built gen2 for $3500 ready to go
I thought it was still in your car

Sponsored

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I thought it was still in your car
it is. ready to go as in built, broke in, tested, some one buys it then it will be ready to ship or pick up the next day. also i have 3 different engines

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
it is. ready to go as in built, broke in, tested, some one buys it then it will be ready to ship or pick up the next day. also i have 3 different engines
I was ready a week ago lol you haven’t sent me the start up video
Sponsored