V8 Engine Cylinder Deactivation?

Mercedestech77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
16 DIB GT PP
It is a nice feature. I have driven a 2013 SLK 55 AMG and it has cylinder deactivation. It is very smooth and you can't even notice it the way Mercedes has engineered it. Also averages 19mpg city and 28mpg highway out of a 5.5l V8.
Sponsored

Dub347sbf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 F150 4x4 Lariat 3.5 Ecoboost

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT 301A PP1 A10 Magneride
Definitive inside policy knowledge or just a wild unsupported assumption ?
I think it's more like OHC vs OHV V8 engines. Just different ways to achieve the same goal.

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
It is a nice feature. I have driven a 2013 SLK 55 AMG and it has cylinder deactivation. It is very smooth and you can't even notice it the way Mercedes has engineered it. Also averages 19mpg city and 28mpg highway out of a 5.5l V8.
How many gears in the transmission?

gojensen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Ecoboost 'vert
This is very normal in European cars now (Citroen, Peugot, Audi, Mercs etc), cylinder cut-off and even engine auto start/stop at intersections...

I guess we do a lot more of city driving (whenever I'm over US side you always seem to jump on the nearest interstate and cruise of to wherever you're going).

There's a lot of traffic lights and roundabouts around here so a lot of stopping and gear shifts. (On my road to work there's a short bit of about a km with 2 roundabouts and 6 intersections with stop lights... takes forever to get through).

Sponsored

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
I don't know how much that Mercedes weighs, but it has cylinder deactivation and a 7 speed transmission and it still doesn't get a substantial improvement in fuel economy versus the Mustang. Is it direct injected too? What about aerodynamics? Gear ratio?
Doesn't look like the Holy Grail that some are trying to make it out to be. Of course I think a lot of people read things online and automatically assume it's the best thing since sliced bread without doing any hands on research for yourself. It's just the latest whizzbang thing going. It's cool.

aardvark

I don't know how much that Mercedes weighs, but it has cylinder deactivation and a 7 speed transmission and it still doesn't get a substantial improvement in fuel economy versus the Mustang. Is it direct injected too? What about aerodynamics? Gear ratio?
Doesn't look like the Holy Grail that some here are trying to make it out to be. Of course I think a lot of people read things online and automatically assume it's the best thing since sliced bread without doing any hands on research for yourself. It's just the latest whizzbang thing going. It's cool.
Not sure I've seen anyone here making it out to be a Holy Grail or anything like that. A 1-2 mpg improvement will not materially impact the finances of many drivers in the real world.

However, with the CAFE standards mandating fuel economy improvement, this is literally one of those situations where every little bit helps. Direct injection, gear ratios, turbochargers, cylinder deactivation, vehicle weight reduction, mild hybrid techonologies... all these things have the potential to add up to fuel economy improvement. Companies like Ford have little choice but to implement some or all of them.

Mercedestech77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
16 DIB GT PP
Doesn't look like the Holy Grail that some here are trying to make it out to be. Of course I think a lot of people read things online and automatically assume it's the best thing since sliced bread without doing any hands on research for yourself. It's just the latest whizzbang thing going. It's cool.
It is direct injected. Also a 2 seater hard top convertible. Not sure weight figures/gear ratio off top of my head but you have it right. Its cool but not crazy improvements in fuel economy. ( car also has eco start/stop and its rated at 415hp) Our new standard v8 is actually a twin turbo 5.0L direct injected. In our e class its rated at 17 city and 26 highway so once again not big improvements. It has 402hp and the same engine in AMG form has 550hp.

Sponsored

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
Not sure I've seen anyone here making it out to be a Holy Grail or anything like that. A 1-2 mpg improvement will not materially impact the finances of many drivers in the real world.

However, with the CAFE standards mandating fuel economy improvement, this is literally one of those situations where every little bit helps. Direct injection, gear ratios, turbochargers, cylinder deactivation, vehicle weight reduction, mild hybrid techonologies... all these things have the potential to add up to fuel economy improvement. Companies like Ford have little choice but to implement some or all of them.
My apologies. I have gone back and taken out the word "here" in the sentence related to "Holy Grail".
As far as CAFE standards go, I have always known them to be a fleet average, not an individual model standard. It is also based on units sold. So cars like the Fiesta, Focus and Fusion will displace the poorer fuel economy of the Mustang V8. Especially when the take rate has historically been higher for the 6 cylinder and soon the 4 cylinder.
Are the new standards that are coming the same way? I don't know.

FStephenMasek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V8 '02 M-B c230K
I just bought a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland V8 4x4 to replace my 2006 Explorer RWD V8. The Jeep only has 1,000 miles on it, but thus far the mileage is the same or slightly better than the Explorer, even though the Jeep weighs 500 pounds more than the Explorer. I drive it with ECO off. The cylinder deactivation and 8-speed transmission do help, and I expect the mileage of the Jeep to improve after it has run a few thousand miles.

FordBlueHeart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Torr
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure how you can make the assertion that the MDS is attributable to the better mileage. Does the non-Eco mode shut it off? If you are attributing the gains due to it getting better mileage than the 06 Explorer, I don't think that is a fair assumption since all manufacturers have been able to increase mileage without it. Maybe I'm reading into your post too much?

blubyu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Supercharged
I don't think ford will utilize the MDS system. However I think you will continue to see the use of the TIVCT by shutting down two of the cams at highway speeds. MDS has come a long way since it's first days of being in the cadillac product.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I don't think ford will utilize the MDS system. However I think you will continue to see the use of the TIVCT by shutting down two of the cams at highway speeds. MDS has come a long way since it's first days of being in the cadillac product.

I don't think you can shut off a camshaft, Ti-VCT or not. The system is however a great benefit to overall performance as well as fuel mileage. I think DI will hit before cylinder shut off.
Sponsored