Threads
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
16 White GT Vert GT PP Roush Stg1 M'flow ctbck
Anyone have comments on the MT82 class action vs. non-class action lawsuit? Pros & Cons of class action vs. going with Detroit firm that pursues as non-class action?

I bought the car last August with 12,000 miles on it, in pristine shape, but a few gremlins have emerged (AC, trunk lock failure and now tranny vent tube leak), now it has 16,000 miles.
Sponsored

Last edited:

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
It's a legal scam, nothing more.

The MT82s are just fine.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
I don't think I'd bother with a lawsuit if I didn't have an actual loss (cost of repairs, time without the car, etc). Seems like that kind of thing would get tossed out of court pretty fast.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
It's a legal scam, nothing more.

The MT82s are just fine.
For 2019+ yeah, but the few revisions before that they did have a bit of a higher failure rate. Nothing I'd call crazy though.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Just a guess but with a boosted car I would think the only recourse would be through Roush not Ford since Roush would likely have to guarantee the drivetrain when the car is no longer stock from the factory. I can't see Ford being on the hook on a boosted car lawsuit or not.

Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
So let me make sure I get this straight - you have a heavily modified mustang, that does not have any real issues with transmission, yet you consider suing Ford and get them to replace your transmission with Tremec based on what some people say about MT82 in the internet?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
them to replace your transmission with Tremec
What ? They want the one used in the GT350 ? Breaking news: It's weaker than the MT82.

OP
OP
plresultsman

plresultsman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
What ? They want the one used in the GT350 ? Breaking news: It's weaker than the MT82.
Do you have any links to articles discussing the Getrag vs. the Tremec failures? I've never heard that about the Tremec..?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have any links to articles discussing the Getrag vs. the Tremec failures? I've never heard that about the Tremec..?
Ask Ben Calimer & Lund racing.

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
Both the class action and individual lawsuits, if successful, will end something like this. The lawyer will fly to Fiji in his brand new G650. You'll get a discount certificate for $400 off the purchase of any new Ford vehicle in the next 3 years.

The only winner will be the lead plaintiff.

Sponsored
OP
OP
plresultsman

plresultsman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, that is what I was afraid of. And the certificate holders end up on a shit list at Ford, I imagine.

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
Anyone have comments on the MT82 lawsuit? Status of the class action? Pros & Cons of class action vs. going it one at a time like some law firms present as an option?

I am getting calls from Detroit-based Stern Law to join their non-class action lawsuit. I am happy with my '16 'vert GT PP1 Roush S1 Magnaflow cat- back car (670 hp/550 torque), but am concerned about future, given what I read about MT82. Mine is a tiny bit 'notchy' going into third gear, but I don't really have a complaint. I would be happy to have the Tremec 6 speed (preemptively) put on my car to eliminate MT82 issues, but am skeptical that would be the result of a lawsuit. My Roush Stage 1 supercharger was installed by a Ford dealer under Roush supervision at the 5,200 mile mark, on 5/4/2018. Now have 16,200 miles. I bought the car last August with 12,000 miles on it, in pristine shape, but a few gremlins have emerged (AC, trunk lock failure and now tranny vent tube leak).
Need to have 3 tings for a successful lawsuit:

1) a duty
2) breech of that duty
3) harm from the breech

I don't think you can even get past #1

OP
OP
plresultsman

plresultsman

Threads
Reaction score
Website
en.wikipedia.org
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Need to have 3 tings for a successful lawsuit:

1) a duty
2) breech of that duty
3) harm from the breech

I don't think you can even get past #1
Right. So why is there both a class action and this single-at-a-time lawyer doing outbound marketing? They've won other suits against Ford and another car maker. Has no one else been contacted? I can't be the first.

BimmerDriver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT convertible w/3 pedals, BMW M550i
The only winner will be the lead plaintiff.
And, as noted, the lawyers.

I once threatened to sue BMW on a lemon law car (that's how you do it in my state if they reject your claim). I spoke with the regional guy about the issue, and since we couldn't resolve it, I suggested that we would go to court.

"You'll lose," he said.

We reached an equitable compromise.

Anyone taking on a manufacturer like Ford needs to have incredible patience and very deep pockets. Class action is the only way to go, and even then, as noted above, you won't get much except perhaps some karmic satisfaction. You can show the check to all of your friends at the retirement home, and apply that $250 to your new scooter.
Sponsored