Sponsored

Ode to my convertible

Tim_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning blue S550 Coyote convertible
I'll bring down the average of this thread :wink:

I wanted a coupe but the other half wanted a vert, we ended up renting a vert in Florida and when returning to the UK we bought a vert. Even sat in traffic with the roof down it still feels special, popping the roof up is just like being in a coupe. Most people in the UK drive at a constant 40 mph (40 in a 50, 40 in a 60, 40 in a 30...) and our roads are small and busy so over taking is either pointless because you can see the next 40mph train of cars just up the road or simply no opportunity. Cruising with the roof down changes that frustration, it becomes a special event.

I wouldn't change the fact we have a vert but I might be tempted to chop one of the other cars in for a coupe.
Sponsored

SEAICE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BW
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I'm 60 and was born and raised in Florida. with the exception of a couple years when I had T-top Corvettes and Camaros, I have never not had a convertible. I've run the gamut from spitfires, TR4s, Fiat 124s, to CJs, Wranglers and Commandos, to BMW 135s, Z4s, and a Jaguar XK. I can't stand being in a closed vehicle unless I absolutely have to be, even here in cold, rainy Seattle. Here's my last 4 'Verts (with a bonus of my (then) 16-year old son's 1st car an '05 Mustang 'vert in the background) Keeping the Convertible flame alive!
VKIU8278.jpg

Redcruzer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco boost premium convertible, Ruby red
I don’t drive with the top down as much anymore. Something about the constant heavy traffic and noise has been a turn off lately. But I do make a point of getting out to the coast or country side often enough to enjoy the top down experience as it’s just hard to beat.

One thing I’ve noticed is that just knowing we have a top down option is often enough. Sometimes, just knowing I CAN drop the top is all I need.

Sure wouldn’t want to be without it.

dougpaw57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang EcoBoost Premium Convertible
I don’t drive with the top down as much anymore. Something about the constant heavy traffic and noise has been a turn off lately. But I do make a point of getting out to the coast or country side often enough to enjoy the top down experience as it’s just hard to beat.

One thing I’ve noticed is that just knowing we have a top down option is often enough. Sometimes, just knowing I CAN drop the top is all I need.

Sure wouldn’t want to be without it.
As far as noise goes, I don't think that traffic noise is much lower with the top up. I can still hear everything pretty loudly.

Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
As far as noise goes, I don't think that traffic noise is much lower with the top up. I can still hear everything pretty loudly.
True, and top down, windows up, blocks much of the sound. I know, because I do a commute in heavy traffic. I also just crank the tunes!

shawn.m

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
shawn
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convert, 7.5 Dodge Ram
Reason #32 for a convertible.
Friend of ours had a series of strokes that left him 85% blind with couple other issues. Unfortunately cant drive anymore. He and his wife stopped by for a visit. I asked if I could borrow him for a drive.
Took my friend out for a drive on a 15 mile loop with the top down. Couple full throttle runs in sport plus mode on the straight stretch. Then some fast corners. His wife said he was grinning for a hour after.

glockholiday

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Convertible question. I've lived in the Phoenix AZ area my whole life and have always steered clear of convertibles probably because my only experience with one was my cousins 89' 5.0. The summer sun here when it's 115° is relentless and it seemed no matter how well the A/C worked your head and face were always feeling the heat from the black ragtop. And don't get me started on the wind noise. Are they still a flexible vinyl rear window that's going to be faded in just a few years parked outside in the AZ sun?

I know they must be significantly better now a days but are there any little nuances like these that still exist with convertibles that would make me regret getting one over a well insulated, quiet hard top?

davidkrocks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT Convertible
Convertible question. I've lived in the Phoenix AZ area my whole life and have always steered clear of convertibles probably because my only experience with one was my cousins 89' 5.0. The summer sun here when it's 115° is relentless and it seemed no matter how well the A/C worked your head and face were always feeling the heat from the black ragtop. And don't get me started on the wind noise. Are they still a flexible vinyl rear window that's going to be faded in just a few years parked outside in the AZ sun?

I know they must be significantly better now a days but are there any little nuances like these that still exist with convertibles that would make me regret getting one over a well insulated, quiet hard top?
no its a clothtop; Having both vinyl and cloth top converitbles for the past 10 years; i'd say this convertible has the best clothtop design bar none. insulated, motor doesn't make a sound while its going up and down and its super quiet for me. two thumbs up from me!

Plus my premium packaged convertible comes with acoustic front windshield; it sounds like a fully enclosed modern vehicle. Coming from having removable hardtops that squeek and rattle, this is like going from a tractor to a lexus.

Sponsored

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
It was a S550 EB convertible 2019 rental on the Big Island that convinced me to get my Mustang. I got a fastback, though, since I live in Utah and we have, at best, six months a year with drop down weather.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
The front and rear sections of all of the convertibles I've owned in the last 15 years are cloth covered, but they are solid. Only the part that actually folds is just cloth and the whole thing is very well insulated. The rear windows are glass and have defrosters.

But, if you are sitting in traffic and it's over 90, you will want the top up.

JoeSpeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Badlands Bronco, Manual
Miss my old girl, only thing that detracted from her was the transmission, otherwise she was a gem
3DBFC610-2689-4C69-A9FD-7EA24E9C0FB2.jpeg
4034F305-07E0-424C-9F48-A8E70E870E7A.jpeg

got a new pony now
94A55584-D2DE-4DE9-945B-D763C7DF59B8.jpeg

but in a few years gotta get me a manual GT

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible

I would agree with @davidkrocks as regards sound insulation. I haven't ridden in a coupe but imagine that the convertible top up is nearly, or is, as quiet inside.

dougpaw57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang EcoBoost Premium Convertible
I would agree with @davidkrocks as regards sound insulation. I haven't ridden in a coupe but imagine that the convertible top up is nearly, or is, as quiet inside.
I had a 2016 GT coupe and replaced it with a 2020 convertible. The convertible is significantly louder inside than the coupe was.
Sponsored