TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
8.5 is fine if you aren't tracking the car.
5 will allow you to putter around town.
This doesn’t sound like the best advice I’ve ever heard… call me crazy but I feel like the manufacturer specified amount of oil is probably a good idea.
Sponsored

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
I have been spending less time on this site for a little while but I lurk every once in a while. If you are that dense that you don’t know what your dealer put in your car then just sell it. That’s just stupid. Make sure they have 10 qts in there like I do before you leave. Ridiculous.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
This doesn’t sound like the best advice I’ve ever heard… call me crazy but I feel like the manufacturer specified amount of oil is probably a good idea.
How bout you stop by the track and I'll buckle you into the passengers seat and run laps. Then drop a quart or two and do it again. If the oil pressure holds steady, or you puke in your helmet, then you buy gas and burgers?🤪

Basspro302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
I haven't read anywhere on the thread that you actually checked the dip stick. If so, was it low or was it OK? Maybe the Service Tech. put the correct amount in and the Service Dept. computer program auto-filled the wrong amount of oil on the invoice?
This

It happens a lot, No matter what car I always pull up service data on the car and the oil boy should check the dip stick. But then again im not a dumb ass lube tech.

TrackMustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT
How bout you stop by the track and I'll buckle you into the passengers seat and run laps. Then drop a quart or two and do it again. If the oil pressure holds steady, or you puke in your helmet, then you buy gas and burgers?🤪
If you can drive fast enough to make me puke in my helmet I’ll buy all the gas and burgers you want. If you make me puke in my helmet because a smooth apex exceeds your ability you’re buying the burgers.

Sponsored

mustang5o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Oxford White Mach 1 Handling Pack
I'd be complaining to Ford if a dealer only put 8.5qts of oil in my car. I remember when I got my 2014 and it took 8 qts. The deal sold me an oil change package which said it only covered 6 qts and said 5W30 I think. I had the track pack which had an oil cap that said 5w50 on it. They issued me a new oil change package to cover the extra oil and the right type of oil.

Racer5973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I told the guy what my manual said, he even said that manuals are generic and don't always have the right info. What nerve!
I have never had such a hard time with a dipstick in any of the cars I have ever owned. I remember when I had an 86 Trans Am I would check it every two weeks and was a breeze. My last few cars had me so spoiled I don't even check anymore. The Mustang's wants to fight me as I'm putting it back in! lol.
My 2017 5.0 is 8.5qts and its full.

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
Your 2017, yes. The Gen2 Coyote takes 8qts, the Gen3 Coyote (2018+, referenced here) takes 10qts.

EDIT: 8qts per manual, as @WildHorse pointed out. Drain a half homie!

Last edited:

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Well I guess the owners manual, factory service manual, and the coyote designers and my own dipstick were wrong. Good to know ! But I'll throw caution to the wind and stick with 8qts.

PC_GUARD

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP1
Your 2017, yes. The Gen2 Coyote takes 8.5qts, the Gen3 Coyote (2018+, referenced here) takes 10qts.
Wheeew gen 3 takes 10 qts? Thats diesel truck oil change.. No chance of the sump going dry on a road course

Sponsored

Konamoth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Base
Wheeew gen 3 takes 10 qts? Thats diesel truck oil change.. No chance of the sump going dry on a road course
Yep, 10qts. Between two mustangs at my household with 3 and 2 changes on them, we have about 50 quarts of used oil waiting to be turned in for recycling. 🤣

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Hey guys,
I just went for the first oil change since I bought my used 2019 GT PP1 in September. Everywhere I look, owners manual, this forum, YouTube, Ford's website, it says the 5.0 takes 10qts. The dealer put in 8.5qts. Only reason I knew they put in less was I looked at the bill when I got home and saw I was charged for only 9qts. The person on the phone told me they were looking at the info on the computer and because my car doesnt have the track pack, it only takes 8.5qts. I can't find anything to validate that. That dipstick is a pain in the neck to accurately read so I am second guessing myself. How much should my car actually take? Also I saw on Ford's website that intervals between oil changes says 10,000 miles, the dealer says 5,000, which interval would you do?
So how was this solved? Did you go back and make them put another 1.5 quarts in or did you check your dipstick and realize you had 10 quarts?

OP
OP
KJZ28

KJZ28

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KevinJoyce.HoulihanLawrence.com
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT SP1
So how was this solved? Did you go back and make them put another 1.5 quarts in or did you check your dipstick and realize you had 10 quarts?
The dealer is an hour a way I was not going back for 1.5 quarts of oil. I checked the dipstick from the onset, as stated in the first post, how else would I know this dipstick is a pain in the neck. I constantly had oil on one dside of the stick and none on the other side. After I added a quart, there was oil on both sides of the stick, so it was 1.5 low. I then added two cans of Liqui Moly Ceratec instead of the extra oil.
Sponsored