Sponsored

Oil drain plug

Slicktricky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang Mach1
Fixing to change oil and wondered if anyone has swapped the yellow plastic oil drain plug for a more durable one like the UPR or any other one? Pic for attn
0F1BD2AD-C1F9-4354-87E9-EBE7C7263E59.png
Sponsored

pt's21

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
21 Mustang GT PP MT, Wife's 20 Mustang GT A10
I installed a UPR 3025-02 on my first oil change. On that oil change My drain pan/container ran over because it was receiving more oil than it could drain into its container. Plus, I really don't trust the plastic plugs. The UPR plug I installed allows for controlled release of oil from the pan.

In addition, I added a safety wire to the locking tab so the base cannot unscrew. The moving part of the plug screws in to drain. This leaves threads exposed. The 'screw in' to drain plug also doesn't lock closed very well, so I trimmed and bent an aluminum "clip" around the threads. Now the threads are protected and the plug cannot be screwed in without first removing the clip. The third photo, below, shows the clip, it also shows the protective boot on the plug when shipped.

oil plug.jpg

upr plug.jpg

upr clip.jpg

Last edited:

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
that was a great idea. think I will have to perform this mod to mine. once again, great idea!

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I used the one you pictured, noticed the locking tab would cut into the pan some. I put the OEM back in.

Richard

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
I’m going to use a femco drain plug when I do my 1st oil change

Sponsored

LOL WUT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT
I have the Femco plug on mine, great quality and makes for mess free changes.

cheeser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1, 4Runners and RAV4's
I purchased a Femco for my first oil change, and purchase a factory yellow one as backup.

Coastal-Mach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2023 BMW M440i, 2020 Ram 1500, 2021 Jeep JK
I bought the UPR, for my imaginary Mach. It looks like a quality piece.

Sponsored

scd603

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Has anyone ever heard of the plastic one coming out???

KeyLime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lenny
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT/CS Convertible
Has anyone ever heard of the plastic one coming out???
No, but the locking tabs can break off. It was cheap to install on the assembly line and Ford can sell more down the road.

I run a Femco on my airplane...if that's any sort of vote of confidence.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
No, but the locking tabs can break off. It was cheap to install on the assembly line and Ford can sell more down the road.

This is really unfortunately nonsense. Yes, they could - like the entire car could fall apart. Millions of F150s are using this plug and they're fine. Very of their users are replacing theirs with some aftermarket contraptions.

I've had UPR one, dumped oil on course, back to plastic ones which are just fine.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT

Break off on removal? Sure, if you're being ridiculous. I could also see it after several years of heat cycles. But they're never going to just break off randomly while you're driving down the road. Personally I just replace the plastic one every so many changes so I have a fresh o-ring. I like stuff like this better than the old days, when lube monkeys will blow out your oil pan threads by falling asleep on the impact trigger.

RobZ71LM7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 F-150
Sticking with OEM plug here. I had good experience with the one on my '17 F-150. However it also had to have the oil plan replaced three times (warped and leaked)! My '19 has the aluminum oil pan from when they switched back. Kinda suprised they switched the F-150 back to an aluminum oil pan and not the Mustang.

Millions of miles on the OEM plugs and few issues at least I've never seen one, but these specialty plugs while convenient make me uncomfortable without a large number of users and miles.

Designs may look good on paper but until proven in the real world you could have this happen:

(3) Ronin Oil Drain Plug | Page 12 | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

On my F-150 I kept a couple spare plugs as a precaution to replace every few changes. Plugs were cheap, but it was probably unnecessary.
Sponsored