Sponsored

SPC Adjustable Camber Arms Review

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Thought I'd a quick review since I have installed these and went through an alignment with these. (for those that don't don't OEM rear alignment adjustment on these car really sucks - it's inboard mount bolt of the camber arm sliding horizontally in the slot in subframe - really inaccurate if you're trying to get equal camber on both sides rather than just get it within spec - which is OK for most)

https://www.spcalignment.com/component/spc/?task=part_description&pid=72370&region=USA&make=Ford&model=Mustang&year=2018 - 2018&from=USAFrom&to=USATo

Pros :

- OEM-like shape single piece aluminum forging - so technically there is less bending compliance vs. multiple-piece designs from others but I am not sure if matters since it would rotate around inboard mount anyway
- Inboard mount is locked out by using a plate so no slip can occur - it is also used for preliminary camber setting as the outboard cam bolt has about a degree of adjustment - so requires doing some math and measurements prior to installation (detailed in the instructions)
- Cam bolt outdoor adjustment is slightly more accurate than threaded bolt adjustors on Steeda / BMR / UPR
- Rubber bushings for less NVH - but again - highly doubt it makes difference

Cons :
- Cam bolt adjuster requires additional tool (thin 1 1/2 inch wrench) that most if not all places will not have
- Cam bolt adjuster is incredibly difficult to get to on aligment rack with wheels on and suspension loaded and is out of (perpendicular) plane to the wheel so there is very little space to turn it
- Rubber bushings so final tightening requires suspension loaded
- Inboard mount bolt (unlike OEM) does not a have plate tack welded to the bolt head for counter-rotation - so requires holding it with the wrench. Anyone that knows where the inboard mount is on a subframe knows how awkward it is to get to from both sides

I haven't tried other designs so can't comment but after being under the car with person doing the alignment, it looks like Steeda's design would be easier to use with little downsides.

If I was buying again (and might be), would buy Steeda.

Pic with a lot of parts (lower control arm, knuckle, shock and spring) out of the way.

PXL_20210115_020505279.jpg
Sponsored

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Thought I'd a quick review since I have installed these and went through an alignment with these. (for those that don't don't OEM rear alignment adjustment on these car really sucks - it's inboard mount bolt of the camber arm sliding horizontally in the slot in subframe - really inaccurate if you're trying to get equal camber on both sides rather than just get it within spec - which is OK for most)

https://www.spcalignment.com/component/spc/?task=part_description&pid=72370&region=USA&make=Ford&model=Mustang&year=2018 - 2018&from=USAFrom&to=USATo

Pros :

- OEM-like shape single piece aluminum forging - so technically there is less bending compliance vs. multiple-piece designs from others but I am not sure if matters since it would rotate around inboard mount anyway
- Inboard mount is locked out by using a plate so no slip can occur - it is also used for preliminary camber setting as the outboard cam bolt has about a degree of adjustment - so requires doing some math and measurements prior to installation (detailed in the instructions)
- Cam bolt outdoor adjustment is slightly more accurate than threaded bolt adjustors on Steeda / BMR / UPR
- Rubber bushings for less NVH - but again - highly doubt it makes difference

Cons :
- Cam bolt adjuster requires additional tool (thin 1 1/2 inch wrench) that most if not all places will not have
- Cam bolt adjuster is incredibly difficult to get to on aligment rack with wheels on and suspension loaded and is out of (perpendicular) plane to the wheel so there is very little space to turn it
- Rubber bushings so final tightening requires suspension loaded
- Inboard mount bolt (unlike OEM) does not a have plate tack welded to the bolt head for counter-rotation - so requires holding it with the wrench. Anyone that knows where the inboard mount is on a subframe knows how awkward it is to get to from both sides

I haven't tried other designs so can't comment but after being under the car with person doing the alignment, it looks like Steeda's design would be easier to use with little downsides.

If I was buying again (and might be), would buy Steeda.

Pic with a lot of parts (lower control arm, knuckle, shock and spring) out of the way.

PXL_20210115_020505279.jpg
Good write-up!

I was going between this and the BMR, and I chose the BMR UCA762 because they keep the adjustment threads parallel with the loading and are not too bad to adjust. Take a peek if you're unsatisfied. No indexing bushing, just a poly one on the inside with a sleeve, so no torquing at ride height.

OP
OP
kz

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Good write-up!

I was going between this and the BMR, and I chose the BMR UCA762 because they keep the adjustment threads parallel with the loading and are not too bad to adjust. Take a peek if you're unsatisfied. No indexing bushing, just a poly one on the inside with a sleeve, so no torquing at ride height.
I'll definitely look - I am not taking it out right now since I have just got through alignment with it, but for next time I might just change them out- whenever that is - hope it is winter but who knows ;-)

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
@kz how much negative camber do you think one can get to with these arms on a 3/4-1" lowered car? I like to run about -2.2 but this product says the range for it is -2 to +3.

Harbor Freight has a service wrench set for cheap that works great for tight spots with large nuts: https://www.harborfreight.com/15-pi...set-93667.html?_br_psugg_q=service+wrench+set

I have the Steeda arms on my car now but lately can't seem to keep the jam nuts snug.

OP
OP
kz

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
@kz how much negative camber do you think one can get to with these arms on a 3/4-1" lowered car? I like to run about -2.2 but this product says the range for it is -2 to +3.

Harbor Freight has a service wrench set for cheap that works great for tight spots with large nuts: https://www.harborfreight.com/15-pi...set-93667.html?_br_psugg_q=service+wrench+set

I have the Steeda arms on my car now but lately can't seem to keep the jam nuts snug.
Steve - you can easily get more than -3 degrees - I was at -2.7 at some point and inboard mount wasn't at it's most inboard position (there is lockout plate with 4 different settings and eccentric insert that you have to initially set by doing some math per instructions before installing). -2.2 should be very easily achievable with lots of margin on both sides.

I got a 1/2 inch thin wrench from Amazon but this is a neat set that is worth having regardless. Will get during my next HF trip.

Sponsored

OP
OP
kz

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Btw - I keep thinking that other than pain in the ass fine adjustment on the outboard side, these aren't that bad. Certainly a design with no weak spots somewhere in the middle of the arm.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Btw - I keep thinking that other than pain in the ass fine adjustment on the outboard side, these aren't that bad. Certainly a design with no weak spots somewhere in the middle of the arm.
Thanks for the quick replies! Good to know the adjustment range is way more than it seemed, at least in the negative direction that we care about.

I like the design of this part. On others where you have to line up rod-ends, tighten up jam nuts, keep things in a plain that won't bind, then torque it is very difficult to do in a garage or pits lying on the ground.

AAD Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aadperformance.com
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
S550 5.0 2.9L Whipple AAD Drag Pak
Out of curiosity, how much performance does aftermarket camber arm bring ?

Thanks for the quick replies! Good to know the adjustment range is way more than it seemed, at least in the negative direction that we care about.

I like the design of this part. On others where you have to line up rod-ends, tighten up jam nuts, keep things in a plain that won't bind, then torque it is very difficult to do in a garage or pits lying on the ground.

Our (AAD Performance) adjustable camber arms can get you where you need to be with room to spare. Depending on the cars set up we've been able to hit -4.5*. NO Jam nuts, no eccentrics, just easy to swap tabs built into the arm. No cheap heim joints either. We use our rebuildable patented spheriflex bushing integrated into the arm itself.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Our (AAD Performance) adjustable camber arms can get you where you need to be with room to spare. Depending on the cars set up we've been able to hit -4.5*. NO Jam nuts, no eccentrics, just easy to swap tabs built into the arm. No cheap heim joints either. We use our rebuildable patented spheriflex bushing integrated into the arm itself.
And priced very well. Thanks for reminding me of this product! When do you think electric blue could be available, lol?

AAD Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aadperformance.com
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
Very informative video here! I have everything except an adjustable camber link. How important is that in a drag race setup?
And priced very well. Thanks for reminding me of this product! When do you think electric blue could be available, lol?
We'll be doing blue again this summer, its a very popular color but not a standard color our anodizer offers so they have to schedule a whole line shut down for us to run blue.

It will be coming back, again in limited quantities

Sponsored
OP
OP
kz

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
We'll be doing blue again this summer, its a very popular color but not a standard color our anodizer offers so they have to schedule a whole line shut down for us to run blue.

It will be coming back, again in limited quantities
@AAD Performance - since I've started this thread and you've answered my questions about your design in another one - I just got your camber arms that I am going to replace SPC ones with. Really nice job with these both manufacturing quality and design wise.

AAD Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aadperformance.com
First Name
Graham
Vehicle(s)
@AAD Performance - since I've started this thread and you've answered my questions about your design in another one - I just got your camber arms that I am going to replace SPC ones with. Really nice job with these both manufacturing quality and design wise.
Thanks for the support, feel free to message me here, dm, or on instagram with any questions
Sponsored