Sponsored

Tire Traction?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
How many heat cycles can a tore typically take?
Hard to answer, first you have to define what a standard 'heat cycle' is.

Most summer tires seem pretty faded after 2 years on daily use, in my experience. (regardless of tread depth)
Sponsored

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Hard to answer, first you have to define what a standard 'heat cycle' is.

Most summer tires seem pretty faded after 2 years on daily use, in my experience. (regardless of tread depth)
Makes sense. Did 3 novice track days and I am just now experiencing greesy tires. Awaiting the day when I've learned enough to deserve and appreciate better tires than my Fire Hawk Indy 500s.

07S281E

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Saleen S281E, 2020 Shelby GT 350
I have the nitto 555 g2 on my saleen w 550hp. They grip great. Did you check the manufacture date on the tires?

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
The g2s are garbage for the rear but work fine in the front. Another common setup is the Michelin ps4s 285/35r19 and 325/30r19, youā€™ll hook fine with that setup as well.
If they won't grip in the rear for acceleration, how can you expect them to grip in front for deceleration? To my logic, you need to be able to stop just as well as accelerate.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
You don't have the low down torque being thrown at them during braking. They brake fine.

If they won't grip in the rear for acceleration, how can you expect them to grip in front for deceleration? To my logic, you need to be able to stop just as well as accelerate.

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
You don't have the low down torque being thrown at them during braking. They brake fine.
You can pull over 1g braking, but unless you a have blower, you're going to be hard pressed to pull > 0.7g accelerating. I think the difference is probably that all 4 wheels are involved in braking (even if the fronts do the majority of the work).

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
You should check out my post discussing the same thing: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/mustang-gt-better-traction-on-the-street.166862/

I think the problem is that there are tires marketed as "performance tires" but are not. Either the Nitto NT555G2s have a problem where they lose their grip fast, or they are just not a good enough tire.

Stick to well-known tires that people have reviewed, and stick to what works. If previous tires have worked for you then pick them up again. Like others have suggested MPS4S and the Nitto 555r2s are good tires (so I hear, planning on picking up one or the other soon).

If you are trying to get cheap tires then you need to accept that you probably won't get good traction. Or bite the bullet and pick up the tires recommended by other owners. The sad reality is some tires just suck.

On a side note maybe I should make a forum post asking for people to review tires? That way we can document the best-recommended tires.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
After more time of spirited driving, cars ass end is so much more in control with the super sports vs the 555 G2's.

All that is in S+ mode.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
On a side note maybe I should make a forum post asking for people to review tires? That way we can document the best-recommended tires.
goodnidea but ā€¦ a it would rapidly become a ā€˜Happy customerā€™ popularity contest. Most people canā€™t/donā€™t:

1) separate reality from cognitive bias on a brand name they just spent newrly $1600 bucks on.
2) properly account for heat cycling (old rubber WILL be hard and lack grip while new replacement rubber WILL be softer). Tires wear and age.
3) have enough experience with properly good tires to tell good from bad
4) actually drive hard enough and consistently enough through the entire preformance envelope to evaluate how tires handle.

I think Iā€™m on my 13th set of tires for this car.

tdstuart

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Triston
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
goodnidea but ā€¦ a it would rapidly become a ā€˜Happy customerā€™ popularity contest. Most people canā€™t/donā€™t:

1) separate reality from cognitive bias on a brand name they just spent newrly $1600 bucks on.
2) properly account for heat cycling (old rubber WILL be hard and lack grip while new replacement rubber WILL be softer). Tires wear and age.
4) actually drive hard enough and consistently enough through the entire preformance envelope to evaluate how tires handle.

All valid points. And god damn thatā€™s a lot of tires. What would your recommendation be?

Sponsored

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1

Lol. Thatā€™s a crazy number. Iā€™ve purchased 5 sets of tires in 12 months and am starting to question my sanity.

Last edited:

mangosmoothie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Vehicle(s)
2019 Boolet
When I try to figure out which tires might have an edge in a similar category (like ultra high performance summer) I look at tirerack tests or some sort of benchmarked test.

The PS4S scored better on lap time slalom and cornering G than the conti extreme sport, but the conti scored marginally better on the wet/dry braking.

So my takeaway is the PS4S is a better overall performance tire overall. It probably behaves better when dancing on the lateral limit (accelerating hard out of turns, trail braking, and cornering speed) but the conti will likely have an edge for straight line traction.

Personally, I use all the straight line grip available on the street - hard acceleration and the potential dreaded emergency stop. And the Conti's are a good bit cheaper. So I'm leaning towards those for a summer set, and have no reservations about it.

If I were a canyon warrior or doing HPDE's, I'd pony up for Michelins but what they seem better at isn't of use to me.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I'd pony up for Michelins but what they seem better at isn't of use to me.
Ding ding ding, we have a winner..

Buy tires that suit how and where you drive.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Lol. Thatā€™s a crazy number. Iā€™ve purchased 5 sets of tires in 12 months and am starting to question my sanity.
i try to keep it to <2 a year. More than that is painful.
Sponsored