Tire Traction?

FrankM5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401a package
So i can't seem to figure this stuff out, im completely lost for words. 2019 Mustang GT 10R80 Stock

When i first got my car it has 235s P Zero Nero (nearly killed myself in those tires)

I bought PP1 wheels they had Pilot sport 4s 274/40/19 in the rear they were 70% thread life i would spin a tad bit off the line. I had 275/40/19 Continental ProContact SSR's in the front (run flats). So i found the same tire but semi used ones same size for the rear, now for whatever reason my car loves these tires i can dig race like nothing i dont lost traction in any gear, any pull, nothing.... ( i will post a photo of them at their end of their life and trust me as bald as they were i still hooked) and the car is stock btw unless you consider a intake a mod.

Couple of months later i bought these wheels w/ tires from a friend. Rotiform KPS R139 19x10 running a Nitto NT555 G2 305/30/19s and man those tires were so bad, nearly killed myself with these as well. (fronts were 255/30/19 NT 555 G2)

So i bought some semi used tires with 80% thread life nearly new, ContiSportContact SSR 285/30/19s and same thing they were terrible spun like crazy. At this point im losing my mind.

I knew back on the PP1 wheels and they hook and book nothing to worry about could take any corner and hook. So now we are in the present. The PP1 wheels needs new tires the continentals are bald. So i find these tires from a local tire place, they were purchased and returned because they bought the wrong size whatevers. I did some research and people apparently like this tire its not a Pilot sport 4s tire but its a Pilot Sport A/S 3 285/40/19s , and someone used this tire on many mustangs and even on a boosted 5.0.

But these are as bad as the Nitto NT555 G2's. So im lost for words at the moment, i dont know what tire to get. I dont have crazy amounts of money but i do run tires fast. Can someone tell me whats a good tire for a dig car, i dont understand. Someone please educate me, can it be my psi? I live in california so its always 65+ here. Is it because its a 285 Tire?
Sponsored

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
Buying used tires may be part of the problem. There is no way to tell how many times they have been heat cycled. If you want a tire that hooks on the street, get the Nitto NT555 rii...for the rear and Nitto NT555G2 for the fronts. If you don't want a drag radial, buy new Michelin PS4S or Continental Extreme Contacts.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
There is no way to tell how many times they have been heat cycled.
This. I would never buy used tires. Buying used tires is like buying a used toothbrush. I wouldn't trust them on a Prius, let alone on a 450+ HP RWD muscle car.

But anyway, you seem to have had no issue with the Conti ProContact. Why don't you stick with that?

Last edited:

js19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium
305s are far too big for a 10 inch wheel and I’m sure was contributing to the issues you had with that specific combo.

Rick#7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 50 Years Appearance Package
If you're going to buy used tires you need to look at the date code as well as the tread depth. The rubber compound can oxidize over time, making the rubber less flexible. A tire that was good and sticky when it was new, but driven hard a few times going through extreme heat cycles, then left sitting in a garage for several years, will not have the same grip as when it was new, even though the tread depth is still good.

Aside from that, look at the treadwear rating. Anything in the low 200's will have a soft compound for good grip, but won't last long. Anything over 400 (like most all-season tires) has a harder compound for longer tread life, but won't stick as well.

Personally, I find tires in the 280-340 range to be a good compromise for street driving. I would avoid tires with ratings under 200 though, unless you go the track. Those are basically race tires designed for classes that require street legal tires, so they won't give you much tread life.

Sponsored

OP
OP
FrankM5

FrankM5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
This. I would never buy used tires. Buying used tires is like buying a used toothbrush. I wouldn't trust them on a Prius, let alone on a 450+ HP RWD muscle car.

But anyway, you seem to have had no issue with the Conti ProContact. Why don't you stick with that?
I do agree with you but explain to me why (check the pdf file) why this tire still hooks as bald as this tire is? They are the conti Pro Contact tho.

Isnt that weird tho? idk im missing something

Attachments

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
lol that tire is worn down to almost become a slick. The inner side of that tire suggests some problems, as it is down to the cords.

OP
OP
FrankM5

FrankM5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
lol that tire is worn down to almost become a slick. The inner side of that tire suggests some problems, as it is down to the cords.
Lmao yeah those were the Conti ProContact SSR's i dont think i balanced them causing that wear. But believe it or not i wouldnt spin lmao in any occasion

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I do agree with you but explain to me why (check the pdf file) why this tire still hooks as bald as this tire is?
Because baldness doesn't affect how a tire hooks on dry tarmac. Quite the contrary, the balder, the better. In the wet, however, it's a different story.
What I see in that photo makes me cringe though.

OP
OP
FrankM5

FrankM5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
Because baldness doesn't affect how a tire hooks on dry tarmac. Quite the contrary, the balder, the better. In the wet, however, it's a different story.
So maybe burn out these pilot sport a/s 3’s down a bit? I’m stuck with these until they need to be replaced.🥲

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
When i first got my car it has 235s P Zero Nero (nearly killed myself in those tires)
Rotiform KPS R139 19x10 running a Nitto NT555 G2 305/30/19s and man those tires were so bad, nearly killed myself with these as well.

Shakes head.

You all would be dead if ya had to drive 400 HP cars on bias ply's like I grew up with.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Unless a tire is made “bald” in a very specific way, it’s usually also heat cycled and hard/slower before it’s bald.

Some tires I run till they delaminate, other tires I just dispose of with lots of tread because they stop working well.

RicardoC50

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricardo
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Currently have nitto 555 g2 285/35r19 and Nitto 555RII 305/35r19 and I hook fine even with advance trac off and drag mode. I’m also headers and tuned on e85. The g2s are garbage for the rear but work fine in the front. Another common setup is the Michelin ps4s 285/35r19 and 325/30r19, you’ll hook fine with that setup as well.

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Little late, but I just went from 555 G2's on the back (305/35) to Pilot Super Sports. Those Nitto's aint even in the same league with rear tire traction. Going to change the 285/35's up front out for PS4S early next year.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Buying used tires may be part of the problem. There is no way to tell how many times they have been heat cycled. If you want a tire that hooks on the street, get the Nitto NT555 rii...for the rear and Nitto NT555G2 for the fronts. If you don't want a drag radial, buy new Michelin PS4S or Continental Extreme Contacts.
How many heat cycles can a tore typically take?
Sponsored