Sponsored

440HP, Winter tires, and traction loss

Kbreese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT Premium, Black/Saddle.
Again. You can't drive a 420 HP car with a Toyota Supra! :doh: If you are thinking that I am wrong - why did you ask here in the 1st place. You sound like my 18 year old son. MUST HAVE RHD Japanese bull crap because all young kids have that. 300HP minimum. BTW: Car is back by the dealer. He can't drive it. End of the story.
Is English your first language? I never know WTF you are talking about, lol.
Sponsored

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
Too young?

Is English your first language? I never know WTF you are talking about, lol.
I am guessing that you are in your twenties - maybe early thirty's:

Because you never learned a second language at all.
BTW. If you were paying attention, no - English wasn't the language I did grow up with. But thanks for letting me know that you are "a true AMERICAN". (Will see if you figure that out.) :cheers:

Kbreese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am guessing that you are in your twenties - maybe early thirty's:

Because you never learned a second language at all.
BTW. If you were paying attention, no - English wasn't the language I did grow up with. But thanks for letting me know that you are "a true AMERICAN". (Will see if you figure that out.) :cheers:
Oh god, not another Canadian with a USA inferiority complex :doh:

And the age comment...haven't heard that one before. [rolleyes]

Sorry, but you are just annoying. You are condescending, cocky and you don't make much sense. Even your avatar sucks. What's with the pink hue?

And I don't recall you previously mentioning anything about your language in this thread, so once again, I have no idea what you are talking about.

OP
OP

FireBird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
Oh god, not another Canadian with a USA inferiority complex :doh:

And the age comment...haven't heard that one before. [rolleyes]

Sorry, but you are just annoying. You are condescending, cocky and you don't make much sense. Even your avatar sucks. What's with the pink hue?

And I don't recall you previously mentioning anything about your language in this thread, so once again, I have no idea what you are talking about.

Common guys, forums can be a difficult place to express the tone of what you say, so we have to be extra patience. Too many times things get misinterpreted.

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
I have Michelin X-Ice xi3's on my Mustang GT.

I haven't driven them in snow yet, but they're AWESOME in cold temperatures -- you can really feel the extra grip when the temperatures are below freezing.

They were a bit squirrely for me this morning, but that's just because of the wheather -- it was 52 degrees (which is... 12C, I guess?) and raining today, which isn't snow-tire weather.

If you're having problems with wheel spin, put the car in snow mode, and be careful with the throttle. I've only gotten wheelspin twice in a week and a half of driving it, and that was when I wanted to get wheelspin. Drive it carefully on winter tires -- do the thing where you pretend that there's an egg between your foot and the throttle and you have to be gentle enough with the throttle that you don't break the egg.

Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your answer Papaya. Indeed Canada is a challenging country to drive in and I understand well what you wrote, in bold and not, and I do not think you are wrong and apologize if I've given that impression.

The post got a bit off course, as I didn't mention a problem driving the car. It is amazing. It is actually much more fun than I expected it to be, and I savour every minute with it. It's easy to drive in Normal mode (which is used 99% of the time) and a truly beast on Sport+, when the circumstances are right. Basically the only thing I asked is would that happen with the p-zeros on a beautiful summer day with the same easiness :-)

Btw, although I didn't drive strong cars, I rode motorcycles for many years with about twice the power to weight ratio than my new toy. If there's one thing riding a bike teaches you, it's to respect it.
Only a Canadian could be this polite in response to a post like that!

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
Couple of things:

1) Why the hell are you in sport+? Put it winter mode, you want to enjoy driving, not lack of traction.

2) Get the tires warm first before you start playing with the throttle. As others mentioned, accelerate slower than usual, but if you do want to play around, literally burn some rubber first (line-lock). Getting those tires hot will actually help keep them sticky - when the road is dry.

3) Short shift to keep the torque low. This is not the time to be living the power band, if anything you want to stay out of it.

Kbreese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
My 275/40/19 Continental DWS were fantastic in the snow last winter, but they were new. I've heard their snow abilities wear down pretty quickly so I don't expect the same snow performance this year, but I think they will still be acceptable.

The DWS are such a great all-year tire. They are surprisingly good in the summer and on dry roads, yet still have awesome traction when the pavement is wet (You'd be surprised) and they are also great when it gets really cold too. They don't at all get hard like summer tires would. It's a Jack of all trades tire.

But yeah if you want the best for snow obviously you'll want dedicated snow tires. And like others have said, put the car in snow mode. And just be very easy on the gas, leave a nice gap between you and the car in front of you, and brake very easily.

You can learn the limits pretty easily, and I think it's good to do that when it's safe to do so. You really get a feel for what the capabilities are so that you can drive confidently without being uncertain and nervous. For example with different tires, I'll often see how much gas I can give when it's raining before they start to break lose. And I will do it several times, as there are different surfaces and temps etc. Same thing with braking, and do the same in the snow. You get a good feel of the capabilities and you can drive safely and confidently.

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
My 275/40/19 Continental DWS were fantastic in the snow last winter, but they were new. I've heard their snow abilities wear down pretty quickly so I don't expect the same snow performance this year, but I think they will still be acceptable.

The DWS are such a great all-year tire. They are surprisingly good in the summer and on dry roads, yet still have awesome traction when the pavement is wet (You'd be surprised) and they are also great when it gets really cold too. They don't at all get hard like summer tires would. It's a Jack of all trades tire.

All seasons are fine in warmer parts of the world, but given OP lives in Canada, I think dedicated snow tires would be prudent. Check out a comparison by TFLcar:

[ame]

Kbreese

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
All seasons are fine in warmer parts of the world, but given OP lives in Canada, I think dedicated snow tires would be prudent. Check out a comparison by TFLcar:
It really depends on the individual and the specific A/S tire. Like I said, I grew up in Buffalo driving a 5.0 on A/S tires and managed ok. With today's more advanced tires, traction control and "snow modes" it's even more doable. But given the OP's posts, I'd agree he should get dedicated snow tires. No question it's the safest/best route to go if you don't mind switching wheels/tires every season.

Sponsored

Sterling Archer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Evil Mobile
It really depends on the individual and the specific A/S tire. Like I said, I grew up in Buffalo driving a 5.0 on A/S tires and managed ok. With today's more advanced tires, traction control and "snow modes" it's even more doable. But given the OP's posts, I'd agree he should get dedicated snow tires. No question it's the safest/best route to go if you don't mind switching wheels/tires every season.
:thumbsup:

Renner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT SOLD-2015 Ecoboost SOLD