velocity550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joshua
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
How is that even possible :D
Because around town you need torque and the only way the motor makes torque is when you are in boost lol and boost is bad for mpg. In the mustang im never over 20% throttle in town.
Sponsored

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Easy to do when you're always in boost. I have an Accord 2.0T and if I mash the gas everywhere I can manage to get under 18 mpg if I tried but I usually drive it like an eco wiener and use the power when I need it. Type R has a bigger turbo and will demand more fuel.
Because around town you need torque and the only way the motor makes torque is when you are in boost lol and boost is bad for mpg. In the mustang im never over 20% throttle in town.
The MX5 does not know what torque or power is, seems to be a keeper lol, the low weight is no joke

I can go on a track day (3-4 20 min sessions) and still have half tank 😂.

I remember I paid 6000 or even more dollars in fuel for the 23000km I drove in my GT and that was mostly commuter kms 🤪

Back to the ring topic, the Sport Auto drivers are no average YouTube Joe's. So from drivers perspective I think a better driver would be difficult to find

Last edited:

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
Mr Bernoulli said it was a squared function. If you know downforce at 1 speed, you can calculate it for any.
The catch is that the components making downforce on a car will need a certain minimum speed to start working.
My guess is there are several turns on the Nurburgring (and most other race tracks) where a street car will have no downforce at all.

...And if Ford hasn't told us the drag coefficient for a Mustang in 15 years or so, they aren't going to tell us the stall speed for a Mach 1 to make downforce.

So my only reference for stall speed is an airplane, making lift with a wing, and that's probably not a good comparison. 🤷‍♂️
...Regardless, the stall speed for a super-common Cessna 172 is about 60mph in "clean" configuration, and 50mph with the flaps all the way down.

It's hard to imagine aerodynamic bits on a street car making downforce at any lower speed than the Cessna's 60mph.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
I wish somebody would publish aero forces at 80mph and 120mph, not just 160 or whatever.
Or as I suspect there is F'all downforce below 100 anyway.
So don't get a 350R wing?

Sponsored

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
Just as a reference a 2017 Civic Type R got an official time of 7:43
The term "official time" deserves some discussion. Does this Mustang's time in the video count as an "official" time?

Maybe we should ask ourselves what makes an official time, and then remember
Ford says there's no such thing, and that's why they don't take part in the Nurburgring lap time pissing contest.

It's not like racing, where tires and fuels are regulated, and you know for sure everyone gets timed with the same system.

It seems to me this car magazine got permission to borrow a Mach 1, and they probably could have gone faster if the manufacturer cared enough to send people for whatever preparation and attention to the other mfrs are doing.

...So from a certain point of view, it's nice to know the Mach 1 can lap the 'Ring in under 8 minutes with no prep to speak of.

If this time seems slow, it's no reason for anyone to cancel an order.

Last edited:

Kermut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach M5413
My random thoughts:

I wish the car had a better time, because bragging rights. That being said:

Why do we care? I would argue most people didn't purchase the Mach 1 because of performance numbers. I ordered mine because I wanted a fun-to-drive, good handling, great sounding GT car that I can tote my toddler around in. Nürburgring times are cool and all, but have no bearing on my navigation of the daycare parking lot

Honestly if I didn't need the back seats, from a performance perspective I wouldn't have considered the Mach. I would have purchased a used C6/C7 Z01. And I think we can all accept that the SS1LE Camaro's put down better track times for less cost. But that's not where the Mustang shines. The point of owning the Mustang is to have a car you can use on a daily basis that looks good, sounds good, and drives good. My $0.02.

MrXXX0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Evan
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Your 1.02g makes little sense - this car isn't anywhere close to be able to achieve that much longitudinal acceleration. Also - see post above...
My ProSolo launch which is basically drag start off the tree with clutch drop, withTW200 tires on a dry concrete surface shows 0.5G max - it's off Racecapture/Track - which is has way more accurate accelerometer than what is in the car. On a road with summer tires you may get half or 2/3rds of it.
I can get a picture of my accelerometer later. Is it 100% accelerate most likely not but it's what I have to go off of in the car.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
The catch is that the components making downforce on a car will need a certain minimum speed to start working.
That's not true at all. Aero works at every speed.

I'll use your plane example....
Planes have a stall speed because below that speed, the weight of the plane overcomes the lift produced by the wings. The wings are still generating lift, just not enough to keep the plane airborne.

Same for a car. All the aero parts still make downforce even at 5mph but it won't be enough to be noticeable

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
That's not true at all. Aero works at every speed.

I'll use your plane example....
Planes have a stall speed because below that speed, the weight of the plane overcomes the lift produced by the wings. The wings are still generating lift, just not enough to keep the plane airborne.

Same for a car. All the aero parts still make downforce even at 5mph but it won't be enough to be noticeable
Better? :facepalm: :giggle:

The catch is that the components making downforce on a car will need a certain minimum speed to start working noticeably.

Sponsored

Maldelver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1
Actually, all things considered, it’s not a bad time for a base MACH1.

All of us who own a MACH1 with the HP know and understand the difference.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Maybe it’s some orders got canceled… it’s slow.
Of the number of orders cancelled I bet you would be hard pressed to find 1 buyer that was even aware of this run at the ring lol. I consider myself obsessed with the Mach 1 and until this thread I had never heard of this video or the people doing the test.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Better? :facepalm: :giggle:

The catch is that the components making downforce on a car will need a certain minimum speed to start working noticeably.
Apologies for trying to be accurate.
I want people to have correct information

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
The things that make a car fast on the Nordschleife do not necessarily make a car good on the street. I personally don't put much value on these numbers.

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
Don't confuse quicker with faster.
I have a friend at GM who says they always use the A10 when doing 'Ring testing. As much as everyone wants the manual to be faster, there's just no matching its shift speed and it's ability to almost always be in the right gear. We're not talking about a C-4, here.

My car is a manual even though I know I'd be faster (& to your point, quicker as well) autocrossing with the auto, but I'd rather shift myself.
Sponsored