Sponsored

Active Exhaust Question 2021 Mach 1 Automatic

nazgulx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Automatic
Hi Everyone, just found these forums online and looking forward to contributing to the community. I recently purchased a 2021 Mach 1 Automatic and there is something I have not ran into before and would like to get your help on.

It is my understanding that all Mach 1s 2021+ came with Active Exhaust as standard. My last 2022 Mach 1 Tremec had it as well. On this 2021 Automatic though, I can see that the vehicle was initially sold in Canada before being imported into US. The Window Sticker (Canadian) looks different and does not mention Active Exhaust by its name. Instead, I just see "EXHAUST, DUAL BRIGHT TIPS" under "Exterior". When I access the Mustang menu in the information cluster, I do not see an option for "Exhaust Mode" like expected. This initially leads me to believe that for some reason, the Mach 1 builds sold to Canada did not have an active exhaust option available?

What's interesting is that I can see the butterfly valves in both of the inner exhaust tips with actuation motors on top. I can also see that the butterfly valve opens up when the car is turned off and closes once I start it. Even if I change the mode toggle switch between "Normal, Sport, Sport+, Track, and Drag", I do not see the butterfly valve opening more.

Has anyone ran into this before? Is this a Canada thing? Had the valve + actuation motors not been there, I would have moved on under the assumption of "my build does not have active exhaust" but I need some validation from the community.
Sponsored

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
Pretty sure that all Mach 1's have active exhaust, it's first line in Order guide's Standard equipment. Canada builds don't differ from USA, and export cars have it too. It may not be working correctly, there's been some cars with pinched wires from nearby weld, but then it was giving out an error.

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
cycle the drive modes, if it's working the car will be quite a bit louder in track mode.

OP
OP

nazgulx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks all for the great feedback so far.

I checked the fuse today and it seems to be fine. I am also not getting any error messages like some other folks have reported.

1677866659957.png

Do I have the right fuse identified above? That's the one I pulled and it seems fine.

1677866704750.png

Any other suggestions?

Sponsored

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
What's interesting is that I can see the butterfly valves in both of the inner exhaust tips with actuation motors on top. I can also see that the butterfly valve opens up when the car is turned off and closes once I start it. Even if I change the mode toggle switch between "Normal, Sport, Sport+, Track, and Drag", I do not see the butterfly valve opening more.
I believe the operation of the active valve is tied to the RPM (or the engine power output). So if you are just trying to observe it at idle, it should not look different. It should however start to open with increasing the power and the mode defines how quick and how much it will happen.

jayhoogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
I believe the operation of the active valve is tied to the RPM (or the engine power output). So if you are just trying to observe it at idle, it should not look different. It should however start to open with increasing the power and the mode defines how quick and how much it will happen.
That’s sorta right. If you have it in quiet or normal, it’s true that under heavier load it’ll have to open more for proper flow. But obviously even at idle quiet mode will be more closed while at normal it’ll be more open. Similarly, when you switch to track, valves are fully open even at idle and so the tone and volume changes. OP is saying that the exhaust mode selection isn’t even showing up in the menu so some other issue is going on, maybe some technological glitch. Not sure if there’s a way to reset that, other than having the dealer look at it.

OP
OP

nazgulx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That’s sorta right. If you have it in quiet or normal, it’s true that under heavier load it’ll have to open more for proper flow. But obviously even at idle quiet mode will be more closed while at normal it’ll be more open. Similarly, when you switch to track, valves are fully open even at idle and so the tone and volume changes. OP is saying that the exhaust mode selection isn’t even showing up in the menu so some other issue is going on, maybe some technological glitch. Not sure if there’s a way to reset that, other than having the dealer look at it.
Thanks! If I recall correctly, I did not observe the valves opening up more even when I switched to "Track" using the Mode toggle switch (not Exhaust Mode since that option is completely missing).

I think you are right @jayhoogs. This may need some sort of a reset. If any one has any suggestions, please let me know!

Dealers in my area are book for the next 6-8 weeks :facepalm: but I am going to have them look at this as well.

Here is the good news though. Per @Ctodd1's suggestion, I just removed the fuse for Active Exhaust and can see that the valves stay fully open now at all times. I can live with that for now while I wait to get this looked at by the service team.

IanKar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Mustang Mach1 HP A10; 22 Shelby GT500 HP
Hi Everyone, just found these forums online and looking forward to contributing to the community. I recently purchased a 2021 Mach 1 Automatic and there is something I have not ran into before and would like to get your help on.

It is my understanding that all Mach 1s 2021+ came with Active Exhaust as standard. My last 2022 Mach 1 Tremec had it as well. On this 2021 Automatic though, I can see that the vehicle was initially sold in Canada before being imported into US. The Window Sticker (Canadian) looks different and does not mention Active Exhaust by its name. Instead, I just see "EXHAUST, DUAL BRIGHT TIPS" under "Exterior". When I access the Mustang menu in the information cluster, I do not see an option for "Exhaust Mode" like expected. This initially leads me to believe that for some reason, the Mach 1 builds sold to Canada did not have an active exhaust option available?

Has anyone ran into this before? Is this a Canada thing? Had the valve + actuation motors not been there, I would have moved on under the assumption of "my build does not have active exhaust" but I need some validation from the community.
I'm in Canada and mine is a 2022. It does have the exhaust modes. I'm sure it's a configuration . Have you asked Ford Performance? [email protected]

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
Perhaps best to just RMA it. They'll verify it down and on diagnostics. This is definitely covered under warranty.

Sponsored

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
, I did not observe the valves opening up more even when I switched to "Track" using the Mode toggle switch (not Exhaust Mode since that option is completely missing).
then you have an issue, when I switch to track mode at idle in neutral car is louder and valves are all the way open.

murick

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2021 Euro Mach 1
@jayhoogs You are right I found the video I remembered wrong :)

This explains quite well that the "starting position" of the valves differs based on the selected mode then it opens more depending on the engine power.

Mach VII

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 401A, 1989 Lincoln Mk VII LSC
@jayhoogs You are right I found the video I remembered wrong :)

This explains quite well that the "starting position" of the valves differs based on the selected mode then it opens more depending on the engine power.
Valve position is dictated by drive mode, rpm, and throttle position.

Sabre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2023 Mach 1 with Handling Package
An easy try for a system reset would be to just pull the negative cable from the battery for a few minutes, then see if there is any difference after hooking it back up.

OP
OP

nazgulx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
An easy try for a system reset would be to just pull the negative cable from the battery for a few minutes, then see if there is any difference after hooking it back up.
I pulled the negative for 30 mins and reconnected it. Still no Exhaust Mode option in the information cluster. Going to run with the fuse pulled out for now so valves stay open 100% while I await the ford service appointment.
Sponsored