Sponsored

Tire Review Recommendations?

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Never really got a straight answer as to when I should make the change from Fire Hawk Indy 500s or what to change to.

Regardless, where do you guys read good reviews? I'm tired of the "took the car to 7/11 and it rode good" type of comments.

I've seen people at the track swap perfectly good tires just to try changing steering bias. I wanna pick those guy's brains and see how you come up with so much tire knowledge.
Sponsored

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
What is your primary purpose in choosing a tire, ultimate track performance or is longevity more important?
Is summer only a choice?

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What is your primary purpose in choosing a tire, ultimate track performance or is longevity more important?
Is summer only a choice?
Ultimate track performance that is street legal. It is still my daily for a few more years.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
Ultimate track performance that is street legal. It is still my daily for a few more years.
So you dont care how often you have to buy new tires?
I also asked about summer only?

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Ultimate track performance is going to be a Hoosier (aka the purple crack). I know 0.00 people who run those on the street at all though, too short lived. They're technically Dot legal for the street tho.

Back in the day I ran Kumho Victoracers on the street for about a month. Tons of fun, soo much fun... but the only reason I was doing that I was trading cars and the new couldn't run my current wheel size so the tires needed to get used up anyway.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So you dont care how often you have to buy new tires?
I also asked about summer only?
Summer only is fine. It doesn't snow here and barely rains.

blind*guardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Another thing to consider with high performance summer tires is that they will kick up a lot of rocks and also can heat cycle out. So, I think many on here would agree, that it's not a very good idea to run a very sticky tire on a street. For example, I have Bridgestone RE-71Rs as my track tires, but they're so sticky that they're always covered in little pebbles that fly all over the place. A friend of mine who used RE-71Rs also has them on his Vette, but now they're solid as a rock because he daily drove them. If you want a dual track/street tire, your best choice would be something like a MIchellin Pilot Sport 4 or similar. Something with a slightly higher treadwear than 200.

Sponsored

blind*guardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Maybe something like a GoodYear SC3 would be a good choice from what I read about it. Seems to be a good compromise for track and street and is a bit faster than Michellin PS4s.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Another thing to consider with high performance summer tires is that they will kick up a lot of rocks and also can heat cycle out. So, I think many on here would agree, that it's not a very good idea to run a very sticky tire on a street. For example, I have Bridgestone RE-71Rs as my track tires, but they're so sticky that they're always covered in little pebbles that fly all over the place. A friend of mine who used RE-71Rs also has them on his Vette, but now they're solid as a rock because he daily drove them. If you want a dual track/street tire, your best choice would be something like a MIchellin Pilot Sport 4 or similar. Something with a slightly higher treadwear than 200.
Yeah, my bud has an Alfa Romeo giulia quadrifoglio which came with P Zero Corsa tires (80TW, streetable track tires), and oh boy, once they hardened up from too many heat cycles, they were rock hard and dangerous to drive on.

Too many heat cycles on some of these tires and they're toast. If you mainly use them on the street, there's a good chance they'll harden up before you cord them.

I did run RE71Rs for a while on the street, but retired them from street duty before I hit that threshold.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought they only pick up pebbles if at operating temperature?

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, my bud has an Alfa Romeo giulia quadrifoglio which came with P Zero Corsa tires (80TW, streetable track tires), and oh boy, once they hardened up from too many heat cycles, they were rock hard and dangerous to drive on.

Too many heat cycles on some of these tires and they're toast. If you mainly use them on the street, there's a good chance they'll harden up before you cord them.

I did run RE71Rs for a while on the street, but retired them from street duty before I hit that threshold.
Is there a stool softener treatment for this? LOL
Sponsored