OP
fishpick

fishpick

Threads
Reaction score
Part of NY w/ high taxes to support the other part
Vehicle(s)
0 mustangs owned currently
Well how many of you live off a gravel road like me? My poor car takes a beating.
I live on a 1/2 mile long gravel driveway... my wife tells me it takes longer to get the road to go somewhere than it takes to "go somewhere"...
Sponsored

OP
OP
fishpick

fishpick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought there was clear clear over the top of tinted clear so any colour on the pads would indicate the clear clear has been compromised ?

WD :like:
Apparently this is why it will take about 2/3 the side of my car being sprayed to blend this in so it's not visable... for 2 frickin chips that I'd use a touch up pen on in half a second on anything else...

OP
OP
fishpick

fishpick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@Tomster @WD Pro @kilobravo

RE the posts about "if I had PPF there"... beleive me - I had that thought... but...

After getting my first 2 estimates I went by the ceramic and PPF place I had it done - they pretend to like me and are nice guys - and they wanted to see how bad it was.

The guy who makes a living off doing film looked at this and said in his opinion the film "definitely" would have lessened the damage but in looking at the strike shape and depth - it "would not have prevented" it. His words - 1000's of cars under his belt.

Of course I asked after the repair and the requisite "drying period" before you can apply film and ceramic - what would it cost to do that whole rear quarter - and his response was - "man, this is a one in a million strike. I would tell you it's not worth it and if it was my car I would not do it."

Your mileage may vary.

AND - in this vein... I hate ceramic... I mean - I like how easy it is to wash the car. This is my first with it. And why I have never done it before - fear of issues when you needed body work - which was completely insane since i have never needed body work on any car - ever... So - "get the PPF and the ceramic - it's a nice car - protect it"... first one... never did shit to the Z06... and now- the ceramic complicates the paint process... And it will then cost me more, again, to redo the film that's pulled for the painting AND to redo the 1/3 car that's de-ceramiced for the painting.
I treated the paint on the C7 like a nice lawnmower... probably should have done the same here... live and learn yo...

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Fish: Thanks for the comments and I will probably eat these words but I'm gonna stick with ceramic. And I hear you on the potential extra work/cost when painting a previously-coated car. I've had film on multiple vehicles and down the road, I came to dislike it.

For me, there's just something about being able to caress the clearcoat... <smiling>

Sponsored

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
I didn’t have film that high on the rear quarter. And it’s so bad the film guy wasn’t sure if film would have saved me or not.
Anyhow - the place I’m likely to take it will basically be ripping half the car apart to do the work. Rear bumper off. Trunk lid off. Quarter window out. Rear brake light out.
Like rip the car apart for these 2 little fucking nicks. I’d never buy a tri coat paint aging. Don’t care how cool it looks.
About ready to roll the fucker into a lot and toss a lit rag into the cockpit and let her burn.
Also - the paint is so thin I swear the nicks have gotten bigger from surface wind driving the car…

meh. Makes me long for the days of not having the car and flat rock being shut down… almost…

I suppose if it looks like shit I can wrap it in some bow tie loves Mopar pattern…
Paint pens at $25 OEM from Ford work great.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Paint pens at $25 OEM from Ford work great.
They wouldn't work good enough for me. I have rapid red paint pens, and I'm here to say that they dont cut it.

That fender will have to be repainted.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
@Tomster @WD Pro @kilobravo

RE the posts about "if I had PPF there"... beleive me - I had that thought... but...

After getting my first 2 estimates I went by the ceramic and PPF place I had it done - they pretend to like me and are nice guys - and they wanted to see how bad it was.

The guy who makes a living off doing film looked at this and said in his opinion the film "definitely" would have lessened the damage but in looking at the strike shape and depth - it "would not have prevented" it. His words - 1000's of cars under his belt.

If course I asked after the repair and the requisite "drying period" before you can apply film and ceramic - what would it cost to do that whole rear quarter - and his response was - "man, this is a one in a million strike. I would tell you it's not worth it and if it was my car I would not do it."

Your mileage may vary.

AND - in this vein... I hate ceramic... I mean - I like how easy it is to wash the car. This is my first with it. And why I have never done it before - fear of issues when you needed body work - which was completely insane since i have never needed body work on any car - ever... So - "get the PPF and the ceramic - it's a nice car - protect it"... first one... never did shit to the Z06... and now- the ceramic complicates the paint process... And it will then cost me more, again, to redo the film that's pulled for the painting AND to redo the 1/3 car that's de-ceramiced for the painting.
I treated the paint on the C7 like a nice lawnmower... probably should have done the same here... live and learn yo...
If the PPF doesn't save you, then ceramic certainly wouldn't make a difference. Those tri paint colors are a bitch. They are beautiful until you have to repaint. Then when you do, you better hope you have a great paint guy. I PPF'd my whole car. When I go on the track, I track tape over it. I know to do this based upon what experts have told me.

You will get it right again. And when you do, id recommend at least enough PPF to cover the critical areas.

Ceramics are for waxers.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Yep, all the same. But the rapid red, aka, lucid red, is a 3 layer process. It is not an easy color to match. The whole fender will probably have to get repainted.
Actually its 4 layers according to my dealership auto body and my personal auto body shop I get my work done at.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
They wouldn't work good enough for me. I have rapid red paint pens, and I'm here to say that they dont cut it.

That fender will have to be repainted.
Thanks for the insight. Sorry about the paint dude. That sucks.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)

Bulldog9

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Bullitt, 2017 Tundra TRDPRO, 1976 Porsche 912
I'm strongly considering getting my Bullitt wrapped in BMW Nardo Grey or Porsche Chalk color, with black roof. Will help protect the paint. Have had many black cars, but this one is the worst.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I'm strongly considering getting my Bullitt wrapped in BMW Nardo Grey or Porsche Chalk color, with black roof. Will help protect the paint. Have had many black cars, but this one is the worst.
Just an FYI, the wrap isn't very thick. I've been told by my ppf guy that it is just a cosmetic cover.

Ymmv

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)