Bobn57

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback, 2021 VB, GT/CS
Vehicle Showcase
Oooooooh wowwww. :clap: The lowly V6 Mustang makes just as much power as their top of the line STi model.

Your first post is exactly correct, it "sounds" and "looks" fast, but in today's world it's not exactly anything special. It may take a Mustang off the line, but with equal drivers and such it doesn't stand a chance in the quarter mile especially against the A10 GTs. Mototrend has the WRX run the quarter mile 14.2 @ 98mph. My front wheel drive 260hp Grand Prix GTP from 1999 ran those kinds of numbers.

It has the potential to handle a little better on track simply due to the AWD, but again it's nothing special especially against a performance pack car.
Ahhh I had a 99 GTP too. That 260hp was huge in 99. Loved that car right up to the point it was rear ended at 50 mph by a Toyota.
Sponsored

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
What about a 2016 stick? That's mine and I have PP1 wheels. I think on American Muscle they only got to 13.4 which would mean an STI is faster.
pretty sure the 15-17 is supposed to be glory run of like 12.5 stock

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I don't disagree. But isn't AWD supposed to be advantageous in every aspect of motorsports? Except maybe drifting.
Trade-offs. AWD has more traction, no doubt about it, but it also weighs more and has more power loss throughout the drivetrain. The traction issue can be fixed with a good tuned suspension and tires in the RWD, while also avoiding the negatives of AWD. This is also excluding the cost of upgrading or repairing an AWD system. I'd only say AWD is strictly superior when considering something offroad like rally racing.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
What about a 2016 stick? That's mine and I have PP1 wheels. I think on American Muscle they only got to 13.4 which would mean an STI is faster.
Well, depends on what you look at. Some random no name site got 13.1, while a huge popular entity like Motortrend got 14.0.

Also whoever ran that 13.4 in the M6 2016 was probably drunk, high or on some sort of powerful narcotics to run those kind of numbers.

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
WRX STI is 305 hp and is good for 0-60 in like 5.0 sec, with a very high rpm clutch dump. Most bros on the street won't do that if you race them from a dig, so I think they would only hang momentarily, before a GT runs away. From a roll, GT vs stock STI not even close.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Trade-offs. AWD has more traction, no doubt about it, but it also weighs more and has more power loss throughout the drivetrain. The traction issue can be fixed with a good tuned suspension and tires in the RWD, while also avoiding the negatives of AWD. This is also excluding the cost of upgrading or repairing an AWD system. I'd only say AWD is strictly superior when considering something offroad like rally racing.
Why do race leagues like GT and F1 have AWD banned?

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is that why all the major motorsports sanctions run AWD? Like Formula 1, IMSA, Continental series, Le Mans etc?
AWD is banned in those leagues. I remember Nissan trying FWD. France is stupid.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well, depends on what you look at. Some random no name site got 13.1, while a huge popular entity like Motortrend got 14.0.

Also whoever ran that 13.4 in the M6 2016 was probably drunk, high or on some sort of powerful narcotics to run those kind of numbers.
The guy on American muscle said he "didn't wanna go too hard." He only got two runs on his new 2015. So I am guessing prepped the Mustang will take it but, dare I say it? The streets, STI would win.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
You're right. Not Motortrend. Cardingo and fastest laps:
https://fastestlaps.com/models/subaru-wrx-sti

I don't really consider drag racing as a race. It's more of a benchmark so I am more interested in lap times than benchmarking.
Drag racing is as much of a race as racing at a circuit/track. You can't just show up with a fast car and expect to do well your first time. Drag racing involves skill just like circuit racing. Your reaction time means everything. For most, that takes practice.

Honestly, it sounds like you are bitter about what you're hearing in this thread. When someone brought credible proof that the GT was much quicker in the 1/4 mile, all of a sudden you don't think drag racing is real racing. C'mon man... no one said the STI was a bad car. It is just slower than a GT. In the real world it doesn't mean much since they are in different classes.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6

mfk2910

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Farouk
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Someone in a different thread pointed out that the WRX gets marginally better if not same mpg than the GT. That right there is the single argument that killed the wrx for me. I would rather hear a V8 rumble and spin RWD than get a 4cylinder. Although the wrx costs a bit less and handles quiet well stock.

Jason304

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT350 2016 Ram 2500 2012 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
I had guy in an eco boost F150 want to race me from the light a couple of weeks ago. It surprised me how quick he was from the dig. He had to be in 4wd. He jumped out a couple of truck lengths. I caught back up when I hit the rev limiter in 2nd. 3rd gear it was over. But it surprised me how quick those eco boosts are. They’re no joke.

IPOGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M6
Just imagine if they removed the "Eco".
Sponsored