2021 WRX

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Anyone have any experience lining up against the Subaru crowd? Thing sounds pretty fast, especially with AWD.

I am assume it is faster on the quarter mile but for a track it may be a different story.
There isn't a single Subaru out there that's a match for a GT. But you are also comparing two different classes of cars. Mustang's competition is Challenger, Charger, Camaro, Corvette... All which are MUCH quicker than any Subaru. Competition for the WRX and STI are the GTI, Golf R, Civic Type R, and maybe whatever Hyundai's current hot hatch is.

Also Subaru with equal length headers sounds like crap. In order for any Subaru to sound good, you have to sacrifice performance to go unequal length. But I very much do like the sound of those unequal length headers.
Sponsored

EmCel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Em
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang gt
There isn't a single Subaru out there that's a match for a GT. But you are also comparing two different classes of cars. Mustang's competition is Challenger, Charger, Camaro, Corvette...Not a Subaru WRX. Competition for the WRX and STI are the GTI, Golf R, Civic Type R, and maybe whatever Hyundai's current hot hatch is.
💯

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
There isn't a single Subaru out there that's a match for a GT. But you are also comparing two different classes of cars. Mustang's competition is Challenger, Charger, Camaro, Corvette... All which are MUCH quicker than any Subaru. Competition for the WRX and STI are the GTI, Golf R, Civic Type R, and maybe whatever Hyundai's current hot hatch is.

Also Subaru with equal length headers sounds like crap. In order for any Subaru to sound good, you have to sacrifice performance to go unequal length. But I very much do like the sound of those unequal length headers.
Motortrend suggests the new STI is a hair quicker than the coyote on the quarter mile so they have to be in the same class, otherwise the Mustang is trash compared to its peers.

As a referrance, Throttle House indicates that the PP1 Mustang is marginally faster on the track than the Type R.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Motortrend suggests the new STI is a hair quicker than the coyote on the quarter mile so they have to be in the same class, otherwise the Mustang is trash compared to its peers.

As a referrance, Throttle House indicates that the PP1 Mustang is marginally faster on the track than the Type R.
All I'm reading is that my brother and I need to race...

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
For reference here they are together. He's done more mods since. He's also riding on bags because he likes to set the frame on the ground when he parks.

mine16.jpg

Sponsored

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1

Link? All I see is a motortrend article saying the STI did the 1/4 in 14 seconds flat. That's no where near "a hair quicker." You'd have to intentionally try to do the 1/4 mile that slow in a GT. Then there's an article talking about a theorized 400 hp engine for 2021 which obviously didn't happen.

hlfbkd420

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Bilbo Hicks
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT w/ Roush P2 SC, 2015 KIA Sorento SXL
OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
Link? All I see is a motortrend article saying the STI did the 1/4 in 14 seconds flat. That's no where near "a hair quicker." You'd have to intentionally try to do the 1/4 mile that slow in a GT. Then there's an article talking about a theorized 400 hp engine for 2021 which obviously didn't happen.
You're right. Not Motortrend. Cardingo and fastest laps:
https://fastestlaps.com/models/subaru-wrx-sti

I don't really consider drag racing as a race. It's more of a benchmark so I am more interested in lap times than benchmarking.

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
i put busses on a sti at the stip and im not even a good driver. he got me out of the whole everytime but was past him at half track.

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
You're right. Not Motortrend. Cardingo and fastest laps:
https://fastestlaps.com/models/subaru-wrx-sti

I don't really consider drag racing as a race. It's more of a benchmark so I am more interested in lap times than benchmarking.
Ya but... You're the one who said quarter mile. I'm not surprised the type R is close to the pp1, but the type R the STI is not.

Sponsored

BombZombie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby Super Snake
I had a Stage 2 2019 STi (Cobb package - roughly 300AWHP and 330FT/LB torque) that I would drag race in Florida for the 1/8th mile. I would run against stock Chargers, Challengers, and Mustangs all the time. In the 1/8th, provided the V8 struggled off the line, I would win almost everytime. But, I could always see them gaining speed, and would easily won in the 1/4 if the track extended that far. A good launch from a stock Mustang on radials though, and I stood no chance.

I even think a PP GT would dominate an STi at a clean track since the STi is a classic big turbo Japanese car, and a driver needs to stay within the powerband for boost in order to get the most out of the car. It can be hard to do since you need to always be in the right gear to keep RPMs up. Big V8s can be a bit more forgiving in that area.

The STi is a utility performance car that can handle all seasons and still perform. It's a Swiss army knife. It's plenty fast for street driving, can be fun at the track, and can also be driven in heavy snow with extreme confidence. It's not in the same league as a Mustang and shouldn't be compared to one.

Last edited:

ss27gogeta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
zach
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang gt
There is no way a stock sti is keeping up with a gt in the quarter mile even at approximately 400lbs less and awd. its no where near enough to make up for the gt's 150hp advantage.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6