2021 WRX

GeorgeC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
I owned a 2017 WRX (same power as a 2021), sold it and now own a 2015 GT Premium. Everything is better with the Mustang except the handling. The WRX with the AWD is a blast to drive. Other than that, the Mustang wins. No rev hang, no turbo lag, better interior, better shifter and it‘s a V 8. Two totally different cars however and just one persons opinion.
I have a2021 wrx. It's fun to drive but it's not in any way as fast as a stang. My Mustang is a 10 speed so the stick on the wrx is fun. The handling is good except it tends to understeer. My Mustang handles a lot better but that's because I did a lot of suspension work using steeds parts but the subject does OK handling except for the understeer. When I first got it it was slow but they did something on the last service that feels like it added 20 hp. Overall I think it's a great little car for what it is. I mostly use it in bad weather because of the and but it's always fun to drive and since the last service it's even more fun to drive it's a keeper but it can't replace the Mustang. I ran against a molded sti and it really wasn't a race. My plan is to keep this car stock I don't want any reliability problems with it. If you mod it the best you can do reliably is about 325 hp and I would consider the car on the slow side. Great little car but not a Mustang by any means.
Anyone have any experience lining up against the Subaru crowd? Thing sounds pretty fast, especially with AWD.

I am assume it is faster on the quarter mile but for a track it may be a different story.
I have a Mustang and a 21 wrx the Mustang is way faster and in my case better handling because of the suspension work I've done to it. Having said that the WRX is a blast to drive. I have a 10 speed in the Mustang so the cars are not even in the same class. The stick is fun to drive and the handling is very good except for a little understeer. But the wrx is stock so considering that it handles well. They are 2 totally different cars. I enjoy the WRX more in rain or snow than the Mustang but that's cause of the AWD. Both cars are fun but it's unfair to the WRX to compare it to the Mustang. I love the sound of the coyote. Gas mileage in the WRX when you drive conservative is 32 mpg compared to the Mustangs 30 is not impressive but we don't buy these cars for gas mileage we buy them for fun. I like that you can push the WRX without losing your license we're when you push the Mustang you risk your life. You can mod the WRX to about 325 hp without losing reliability and the Mustang you can push 6 to 700 hp and still be reliable. It's not fair to compare the WRX to the Mustang there 2 completely different cars however both are fun in their own way.
Sponsored

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
I drove a modded Forester XT for a number of years. They basically had the STI engine with a 5 speed and insane gearing (4.46). It would launch like it was hit by a truck. I used to pick on previous generation Mustangs at stop lights. Up to about 40 mph it was awesome. But, it leveled out after that and was all done by 85. It is very light for an SUV and fun to drive.

Realistically, horizontally opposed engines are not the best platform for power. The turbo plumbing is excessive and inefficient and they tend to burn oil when boosted. You can make a lot of power, but it won't be easy or cheap.

I replaced the engine in my XT at 92k miles. Shortly after, I gave the car to my son-in-law. This last year he gave the car to my grandson. It now has 240,000 miles on it. It needs work, but it's still going.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
I drove a modded Forester XT for a number of years. They basically had the STI engine with a 5 speed and insane gearing (4.46). It would launch like it was hit by a truck. I used to pick on previous generation Mustangs at stop lights. Up to about 40 mph it was awesome. But, it leveled out after that and was all done by 85. It is very light for an SUV and fun to drive.

Realistically, horizontally opposed engines are not the best platform for power. The turbo plumbing is excessive and inefficient and they tend to burn oil when boosted. You can make a lot of power, but it won't be easy or cheap.

I replaced the engine in my XT at 92k miles. Shortly after, I gave the car to my son-in-law. This last year he gave the car to my grandson. It now has 240,000 miles on it. It needs work, but it's still going.
It's fun at the lights but in my opinion, the thrill is at the track. Not because big brother is watch...

More so because warmed up tires give better accelation and the feeling of rotating these cars by the throttle on tight hairpins is just awesome.

My shop stupidly put on 255s on the rears like an idiot. Just bought 275s and I'm ready for the next track day.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot_Ricky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt
Had a 2019 wrx with downpipe, exhaust, fmic, intake, tgv/egr delete, nostrum hpfp, E85 and snow performance WMI running pure vpm1 and only made about 400whp 😭. But was crazy fun on the mountain roads. Even took it on some dirt roads for a little rallyesque fun.

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
Had a 2019 wrx with downpipe, exhaust, fmic, intake, tgv/egr delete, nostrum hpfp, E85 and snow performance WMI running pure vpm1 and only made about 400whp 😭. But was crazy fun on the mountain roads. Even took it on some dirt roads for a little rallyesque fun.
For a car that comes with only like 220 whp at the most, that pretty solid. Plus is not a heavy car and 6k rpm launch is always fun. What i liked the most about my wife’s wrx was how solid the car felt on road trips. Downpour or sunny, the car felt planted and safe. Now with her new wrangler. At 80 moh you feel you are gonna die lol… 2023, and those things still drive like shit…

Sponsored

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot_Ricky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 mustang gt
Yeah it was a hoot to drive. Never felt like it would get away from me, was PLANTED to the road. I was just always concerned of the engine taking a shit on me. They are not known for reliability when pushed for HP lol

oh for sure. I had a 2015 wrangler 2dr. 3.5" lift. i wouldn't drive over 65mph haha. would get blown all over the highway. i would see a semitruck coming behind and grip the steering wheel bracing for the wind. But we had a lot of fun in it though. Jeep beach in Daytona was always a good time.

OP
OP

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
WRX have aggressive aero?
Sponsored