Sponsored

It's happened, the famous OEM lug nut fail...

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
I have owned three mustangs since 2015, and I have NEVER had problems with any of my lug nuts.
Of course, I recently read on this forum about the famous Ford OEM lug nuts that have the "cap" over the regular nuts...

I thought to myself... "I really should ditch mine and get 1-piece gorillas or something similar"...
Then a voice in my head says, "You've had two other S550's and you took the lug nuts off a zillion times with ZERO problems... Stop wasting your money"
I think to myself, "But as I read the forum posts, the problem seems real... I think I should ditch them..."
The voice says, "You are wasting your money because you've NEVER had problems with previous Ford Lug Nuts..."
I then think to myself, "You know, you're probably right, what is the chance that it will happen to me???"

Of course, AFTER having this conversation in my head, I go out to remove the wheel, and... The socket just spins. The socket is stuck... After 30-40 minutes of gently hammering, and vice grips on the stuck deep socket, etc... I finally manage to take the socket off. The lug nut looks completely bulged, and I think the "cap" must have turned over the nut...

Now the problem is... Do I make an appointment with Ford (since Covid, it's been IMPOSSIBLE to get an appointment, everything is like 2-3 months wait) to bring it in, and then go through the hassle of trying to tell them that they should be covered by the 3/36 warranty, or is there an easier way to remove it? I think those "universal" sockets with the metal rods won't work as I think at this time the cap is probably freely rotating.

If I got one of those stuck lug nut removers (found one on amazon here: https://amzn.to/3x4FMsu), would it work, or would i just end up messing it up to the point where if I bring it dealer they will just laugh and tell me to go away (because I mangled them)???

As always, any suggestions are much appreciated.

It's dark now, I can go take a phot of the nut tomorrow morning.
Sponsored

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
It's a super common problem on ford lugnuts. I see it a lot. It is a thin metal 'cover' over an actual metal lugnut - like hardened aluminum foil. Once you are able to chisel that down to the actual lugnut, youll be able to fit something like an 18 or 19mm on it and get it off.

I wish i had better instructions for you.. but it always happens when people overtorque them and flex the outside 'shell' I have 19.5 and 21.5 mm sockets just for this reason.

4p3j9132kct31.jpg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
If the car still has the 3/36, yes take it in. They should replace all defective lug nuts under the 3/36.

My prior 2016 had all (20) lugs replaced under warranty for the same issue.

If searching this forum there are also threads about the pending Class Action regarding the lug nuts. Not sure if anything ever came of it.

The thing is - even if they're replaced under warranty, you're only getting the same shitty lug nuts reinstalled and the problem still exists.

Get Gorilla aftermarket lug nuts or similar.

Sponsored

celica0774

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT convertible PP1
Gorilla for me too, one of my first "mods".
Anybody seen an explanation for why Ford uses those incredibly crappy lug nuts?
They cannot possibly be cheaper to make than the one piece style.

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
You can probably get by on stock lugs if you put on and take off by hand, using a good fitting quality socket. However, if you are using an impact wrench, you will not get away with this for long. The recommended torque is 150 ft/lbs so your impact wrench is beating the crap out of these to get them off and to put them on. This is what I have seen loosens the stainless steel outer shell.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
Anybody seen an explanation for why Ford uses those incredibly crappy lug nuts?
I have never seen an official explanation, but the outer shell is stainless steel. So my best guess is that they are there for just appearances, in other words they don't corrode so they will look good for years. And ford doesn't care about what happens with the bare steel lug nut underneath.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I have owned three mustangs since 2015, and I have NEVER had problems with any of my lug nuts.
Of course, I recently read on this forum about the famous Ford OEM lug nuts that have the "cap" over the regular nuts...

I thought to myself... "I really should ditch mine and get 1-piece gorillas or something similar"...
Then a voice in my head says, "You've had two other S550's and you took the lug nuts off a zillion times with ZERO problems... Stop wasting your money"
I think to myself, "But as I read the forum posts, the problem seems real... I think I should ditch them..."
The voice says, "You are wasting your money because you've NEVER had problems with previous Ford Lug Nuts..."
I then think to myself, "You know, you're probably right, what is the chance that it will happen to me???"

Of course, AFTER having this conversation in my head, I go out to remove the wheel, and... The socket just spins. The socket is stuck... After 30-40 minutes of gently hammering, and vice grips on the stuck deep socket, etc... I finally manage to take the socket off. The lug nut looks completely bulged, and I think the "cap" must have turned over the nut...

Now the problem is... Do I make an appointment with Ford (since Covid, it's been IMPOSSIBLE to get an appointment, everything is like 2-3 months wait) to bring it in, and then go through the hassle of trying to tell them that they should be covered by the 3/36 warranty, or is there an easier way to remove it? I think those "universal" sockets with the metal rods won't work as I think at this time the cap is probably freely rotating.

If I got one of those stuck lug nut removers (found one on amazon here: https://amzn.to/3x4FMsu), would it work, or would i just end up messing it up to the point where if I bring it dealer they will just laugh and tell me to go away (because I mangled them)???

As always, any suggestions are much appreciated.

It's dark now, I can go take a phot of the nut tomorrow morning.
Good grief that was a long post for such a simple problem. You're way overthinking this.
Either remove the beauty cap and use a smaller socket to remove the lug or take it to a dealer for warranty or a tire shop if you don't diy.
Really simple.
Then replace all 20 with solid lugs of your choice and the problem is gone forever.

SINBUSTER007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
19 Edge ST, 17 Escape, 12 Boss, 15 GT, 66 V8 Coupe Auto, Kids Boss 302
coming from experience on all my mustangs, plus my 2017 escape and 2019 edge
CHANGE THEM NOW!!! i had issue on my wife's escape. tire going flat, cant remove
the lugs because the nuts swell....went to auto part store bought what i needed in one-piece
and changed them (had 4 on her car that i couldnt get off, had a mechanic beat them off)
all the mustangs have gorilla, the edge and escape have auto parts store lugs.
next time you get stranded and cant get them off you will be sorry you didnt do it....
next time i get a new vehicle, first things im changing! guaranteed!

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Getting rid of the OEM lugs was the first thing I did on my Mustang and '19 F150 when I took delivery of both. They're garbage.

The steel lug underneath will eventually cause the cover to swell once it rusts. No bueno if you're driving the vehicle in areas that use road salt in winter.

OP
OP
pyrophilus

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
Thanks for the replies. I was in the, "owned two other mustangs and no problem with lugnuts for past 6 years..."

I actually ordered gorillas last night. The service manager emailed me back, said the lug nuts ate indeed covered, but he needs to see if they have time slot.

As Bikeman said, I may just go to the local shop. And ses if they can just get it off.

But i think the problem started because when I did NYS inspection, the dude used impact to get the lig nuts off and then impact (no torx sticks) to put them on. He really went to town on the lug nuts.

In my previous Mustangs, I never had anyone use impacts on the lug nuts.

NoXiDe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I don't know where your at with this but when I had this problem... like 3 years ago or so but anyhow, I believe I just screwed the stuck lugnut attached to the socket back onto stud of the wheel a few spins and then wiggled the socket loose. may have needed a light hammer up, down, left, and right a few time too.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I already replaced the factory capped lugs on my mustang about 2 years ago with black spline drive lugs. But after reading this thread, I bought a set of black acorn lugs for my explorer from american muscle. They were $20.70 and they have them in stock.

danpass

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Focus ST Triple Yellow
I went with McGard lug nuts on my Focus ST and plan to do the same on my Mustang.

-
Sponsored