Sponsored

It's happened, the famous OEM lug nut fail...

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
You can get the Ford Performance black nuts for that price here in Australia if you want original, but i went Black McGards and i think i paid around $180 delivered via amazon
My McGards came from American Amazon and the total delivered to the UK with the Amazon global shipping was £88.82 for 16 nuts (Approx $123 based on todays exchange rate) :like:

For our USA friends, that's cheaper than I could get Gorilla's by the time you include shipment to the UK and customs / taxes etc.

Cheers TasGT the FP nuts are $95 a set of 5 so $380 + postage and if i remember when i ordered from the USA Amazon had a postage deal. I cant help but think ( and its the reason i didn't go down that path ) that the FP nuts are just black coated versions of the originals and ergo would be subject to the same problems but i can't find anyone who has them to confirm that. The MCgards I had on my Falcon GT and i couldn't speak highly enough of them.
@Kristian87 is the only person I know who has those nuts, they look really good but longevity is currently unknown.

Longevity is the key for me, especially for black nuts - I only went with the McGards as I had read some reports that the Black Gorilla's start to suffer in the UK due to salt etc, time will tell how the McGards stand up ... :like:

WD :like:
Sponsored

Kristian87

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
@Kristian87 is the only person I know who has those nuts, they look really good but longevity is currently unknown.
Hard to believe i’m the only one lol

still going strong and looking great. The rear pass side wheel has been taken off a number of times due to diagnosing/fixing a suspension issue, and there are some minor marks from whatever socket was used, but in general the finish has held up far better than any of the other lugs i’ve tried

not the best photo but here they are (no locking nut)

F567C1CC-EA62-42CA-BA47-742363C2DED5.jpeg
A6DFD744-9204-4F51-A076-C8C1EE3F586D.jpeg

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
The first thing you should do is go buy a six point metric socket that actually fits the nut rather than an inch socket that's close enough. Those nuts have lasted me for years on the previous three vehicles I owned that had them.

br_an

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bran
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2020 Ford F150
Is the OEM lug failure usually a result of using an impact? Has anyone had lug failure with hand tools?

Mdtaylorjr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
As an auto tech these nuts really suck when they fail but here in South Texas rarely fail. Dodge has been using them for about 20 years now and where I see them fail the most is people using low quality sae sockets and then over torquing them which breaks the crimped on seal allowing them to spin. I take a chisel and slice off the shell and put a smaller socket on the core. Then order a Dorman or something solid from the parts store.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Is the OEM lug failure usually a result of using an impact? Has anyone had lug failure with hand tools?
In my opinion, I think that coupled with using a 21mm socket is what starts the failure :like:

TasGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 MY17 Mustang GT 5L Triple Yellow Convertible
As an auto tech these nuts really suck when they fail but here in South Texas rarely fail. Dodge has been using them for about 20 years now and where I see them fail the most is people using low quality sae sockets and then over torquing them which breaks the crimped on seal allowing them to spin. I take a chisel and slice off the shell and put a smaller socket on the core. Then order a Dorman or something solid from the parts store.
What socket is correct for the standard Ford nuts please. I saw somewhere someone mention a weird 21.5mm socket. Is that correct or is the correct one a non metric socket and if so what size?

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
21mm also works well.

OP
OP
pyrophilus

pyrophilus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 ShadowBlack GT Premium401a, PP1, ActiveExhaust
I've used 1/2" breaker bars to remove the nuts and 1/2" torque wrenches to put them on on my '15 and '17 for six years and I have had NO problems with the factory lug nuts. But I've leased them new and the only time it saw impact was for NYS inspection.

The '19 GT, I purchased used, so I don't know the history. That being said, the last shop I had inspection was a bit shady... the lo bugs were REALLY put on tight, i am guessing they used impact and went to town.

For the record, i have been using 6pt sockets.

So if you have car since new, and use hand tools, I think the factory lug nuts are fine.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
What socket is correct for the standard Ford nuts please. I saw somewhere someone mention a weird 21.5mm socket. Is that correct or is the correct one a non metric socket and if so what size?
13/16” :like:

21mm also works well.
13/16" = 20.6375mm
So, FWIW, a 21mm socket is 0.3625 mm too large...

To my knowledge metric sockets do not come in half mm sizes. And even they did a 20.5mm would still be too small.

And all that is moot because the tolerance on sockets and especially lug nuts is mostly crap...

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
Just for my own curiosity I walked out to the garage and grabbed a 6 point 21 mm socket and a 6 point 13/16" socket. The 21 mm easily fit on all 5 lugs nuts of the wheel I tried. The 13/16" fit tight on 3 and had to be pushed on the other 2. So my take on this the correct socket is the 21 mm. Just because you can force a S.A.E. socket on doesn't mean it's the correct size.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I would suggest that some of your nuts are already mildly deformed then ? (Maybe from using the 21mm … ?)

I have 20 ‘only fitted once by ford’ nuts here and 13/16” fits ‘nice’ and the 21mm fits ‘loose’ :like:

TasGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2016 MY17 Mustang GT 5L Triple Yellow Convertible
13/16" = 20.6375mm
So, FWIW, a 21mm socket is 0.3625 mm too large...

To my knowledge metric sockets do not come in half mm sizes. And even they did a 20.5mm would still be too small.

And all that is moot because the tolerance on sockets and especially lug nuts is mostly crap...
Thanks, I did the same calculations too and thought that 21mm had potential to round off the nuts. Especially at 150lbft. 👍🏻

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I run into the same problem with OEM lug nuts for few reasons 1. Impact gun and 21" socket. 2. regular tire changes because of road course use. 3. Wheel hubs play (caused by lug nuts backing out). 4. Tire shops not torquing them to 150 ft-lbs.
With that in mind I plan to buy gorilla hopefully they will work with my Apex wheels that I'm waiting on. I still try to decide do I want closed or open end lug nuts (Dorman, FP and OPMustang all sell open ended ones that should work). My car rarely see rain or snow and is kept in garage so salt/moisture shouldn't be a problem and if it's I'm changing wheel hubs so often that I doubt I will have issues with open ended. Ether way replace this OEM lug nuts with something that actually works.
Sponsored