Sponsored

It's happened, the famous OEM lug nut fail...

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I have two, but they are oil filled ones and not decorative stainless … lol

You can tell when my misses is out - I wouldn’t normally get away with having my nuts out on the dining table … :giggle:

WD :like:
Sponsored

thompsje

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
I have two, but they are oil filled ones and not decorative stainless … lol

You can tell when my misses is out - I wouldn’t normally get away with having my nuts out on the dining table … :giggle:

I, for one, appreciate the effort you went through to show us your nuts, what feels best on your nuts, and how you would like your nuts handled in the future. Keeping the cat from messing with your nuts was deftly managed as well.

As I mentioned, my nuts were already somewhat swollen so I needed to be careful with how I handled them. I was firm but gentle because I wanted to get them off without further damaging them. Luckily that worked, and you can imagine my relief when everything came out ok.

Long story short, I made some changes and now I feel my nuts are going to last a long time. They're a little larger but not swollen, and will take pretty much anything that can get thrown at them.

(That's as much innuendo as I can pack into replacing OEM lugs with Gorilla ones, which are definitely 21mm.)

DRU842

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ecoboost Lightning Blue
After the tyre shop and Ceramic Pro applicator giving me notice my nuts were on the way out, they will be changed out, with the final wheel and caliper treatment Monday.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Hard to believe i’m the only one lol

still going strong and looking great. The rear pass side wheel has been taken off a number of times due to diagnosing/fixing a suspension issue, and there are some minor marks from whatever socket was used, but in general the finish has held up far better than any of the other lugs i’ve tried

not the best photo but here they are (no locking nut)

F567C1CC-EA62-42CA-BA47-742363C2DED5.jpeg
A6DFD744-9204-4F51-A076-C8C1EE3F586D.jpeg
I have them too. They have the same design as OEM but the stainless "cap" is PVD coated, it's not just black paint. That's why they are so resistant to scratching/damage. In theory they could fail the same way as the chrome ones, but they may not ever do so (if they aren't grossly overtorqued) due to the different coating and assembly process.

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
OK, well my eldest is having a sleepover for her birthday (currently watching a film and eating lots of sugary stuff in the front room), dad is banished from sight, and my other half has taken our youngest out to the cinema …

So, tidying my workbench in the garage had me checking out my nuts and I thought this short video might help some of you guys out :

You can see what I found on my brand new nuts, I’m am sure some of you more experienced guys can work out what fits best … :wink:

I completely agree with you that those are 13/16" nuts. But I also know that there is no way you could do that with the ones on my car. I bought the car new and I have rotated the tires once, so as far as I know they have only been off the car that one time. They are not swollen, bloated, bent, twisted or damaged in any way. So I have no idea why you got 13/16" on your car and I got 21 mm. One of life's little mysteries.

PS. That's one fancy set of sockets you have there.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for that :like:

Perhaps not so quick to criticise other people’s bright ideas or their ability to work on their cars in future … ? :wink:

PoCoBob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Edge Sport
Thanks for that :like:

Perhaps not so quick to criticise other people’s bright ideas or their ability to work on their cars in future … ? :wink:

Right back at ya. You're the one that told me twice I'd already damaged them by using the wrong socket. So don't throw stones if you don't want a reaction.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think if you check my wording, it was my ‘opinion’ and I only ‘suggested’ … :wink:

It was your choice to take it personal and rub yourself up the wrong way.

Anyhow, I’m done here - were all big boys and can make our own decisions with our own cars :like:

:like:

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
Funny, after this conversation I checked my lugs and sure enough one of the front lugs was swollen, and I needed a 21mm to remove it instead of 13/16. Maybe it'll swell up more so that won't even fit? Time to replace them before a flat some rainy night.

These wheels have only been off once, by me, and I use a torque wrench!

Swollen lugs? Ridiculous!

I always keep a breaker bar and both size sockets in the trunk. 13/16 for the lugs and 21mm for the McGard key. You can't rely on the auto club, or some garbage wrench the manufacturer provides for you.

So I bought a set of Gorilla open end chrome lug nuts for $25. By the way Gorilla also makes a great 1/2" lug wrench tool/breaker bar that comes with a 13/16 thin wall socket, short extension, and a carrying bag for about $30 on sale.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/gorilla...ith-3-4-and-13-16-thin-wall-sockets/p/WHLLW1/

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
:clap:This is a really really good thread.

Sponsored

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
:clap:This is a really really good thread.
You know, I wish Ford just installed a decent quality lug nut in the first damn place and threads like this weren't necessary. I just spent over fifty bucks and more time than I wanted on this. Maybe it helps others. I mean look at the pictures of the failed lugs. Someone at Ford should lose their job. It's an embarrassment.

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
Gorilla open ended race lugs for the win! If you take wheels and tires off frequently, these kick ass! And when you replace pads, you can thread over the stud all the way down to the rotor to keep the rotor in place. Highly recommended.
08480CCE-CB4C-45BF-ADE6-0EF63AA2DD7F.jpeg

1EB4CFA1-9518-4115-A821-6C1AA9A9F0D1.png

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
You know, I wish Ford just installed a decent quality lug nut in the first damn place and threads like this weren't necessary. I just spent over fifty bucks and more time than I wanted on this. Maybe it helps others. I mean look at the pictures of the failed lugs. Someone at Ford should lose their job. It's an embarrassment.
:crackup::cwl::crackup:The dude smoke-wagon made a glorious post about nuts but backs it up with this post?:crackup::cwl::crackup:

Last edited:

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
:crackup::cwl::crackup:The dude smoke-wagon made a glorious post about nuts but you replied to my post?:crackup::cwl::crackup:
I wish I made anything glorious. Nope.

The posts 61 and 62 above mine really won the thread.

Getting weird in here. I'm gone.
Sponsored