Sponsored

High(er) CHT

dh3605

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, 301a, Auto, Black, Black accent package
Traded my 2019 GT A10 for a M6. The 2019 would never get over above 205 in city or on highway. The new one runs at 215-220 city or highway. The coolant level is right at the minimum line when cold. Any ideas ?
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
How are you getting precise coolant temperature readings? I couldn't on my digital-dash Bullitt, with the same code I activated it on my ex-2018 F-150 Platinum. Tried other FORScan codes and nothing worked.

And about your coolant level, that's perfectly normal; just top it off with the same coolant it has now (either orange or yellow), and it shouldn't drop much (if at all) after that. ALL new cars have air in the system, and the Mustang more than others, so you need to top off coolant level when new. My car was well below the min line when I checked it before my first test drive, with 66 miles on the clock. I asked a service guy to top it off before I fired up the engine, since I was going to drive it home after checking everything was fine. And haven't had to add any in 1,100 miles, so it's stable now. But bought a gallon of the proper coolant in case it needed more.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Traded my 2019 GT A10 for a M6. The 2019 would never get over above 205 in city or on highway. The new one runs at 215-220 city or highway. The coolant level is right at the minimum line when cold. Any ideas ?
Why do you think you need ideas from people here?

Why the higher CHTs?

You're using more RPMs. 6 gears instead of 10. Probably driving a little harder with the manual too.

Also....it's hot as hell outside. Your CHTs will be higher due to that, too.

Last edited:

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
Is a pp or base?
Also can you see what oil temp you have with the green /yellow/ red gauge?
Is it right in the center or not?

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I've seen as high as high 230's when pushing the car in the mountains, thats still not really unreasonable. Did you go from PP to base? Base radiator is kinda small so it doesn't have the same capacity and the car will run hotter under load. Until you're hitting limp mode though its not really an issue.

Sponsored

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
I was seeing 225s 235s CHT in summer with my MT82 and then had to have my water pump replaced due to a leak this past winter. After the water pump replacement I haven't seen anything over 205 even with 9 straight days of 105 ambient outside.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I was seeing 225s 235s CHT in summer with my MT82 and then had to have my water pump replaced due to a leak this past winter. After the water pump replacement I haven't seen anything over 205 even with 9 straight days of 105 ambient outside.
Thats interesting, wonder if a defective water pump causes this issue, or the newer coolant runs colder? Did they swap you to the yellow/green stuff or are you still on orange? Also which radiatior do you have?

Chris Barnes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Was the water pump leaking? I've read somewhere that they can leak internally and cause an issue that's otherwise invisible.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Thats interesting, wonder if a defective water pump causes this issue, or the newer coolant runs colder? Did they swap you to the yellow/green stuff or are you still on orange? Also which radiatior do you have?

I still have the orange coolant. Oddly a bunch of mildew looking debris is caked on the top of my reservoir ever since they serviced it. Like they blew out a bunch of gunk or something.

I have a base GT so smaller radiator. It was running those higher temps for years. During the summer with the AC on the car was a slug. Not so much anymore.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Was the water pump leaking? I've read somewhere that they can leak internally and cause an issue that's otherwise invisible.
Yea thats what they determined. My harmonic balancer was wet. I thought it was the main seal leaking oil.

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I still have the orange coolant. Oddly a bunch of mildew looking debris is caked on the top of my reservoir ever since they serviced it. Like they blew out a bunch of gunk or something.

I have a base GT so smaller radiator. It was running those higher temps for years. During the summer with the AC on the car was a slug. Not so much anymore.
Hmm, very strange. On my car the CHT usually hovers around 210-215 in the summer unless I'm pushing the car, so not near as bad as yours was. I think part of it is the thinner air here as well, there's less convective cooling and radiators are slightly less effective.

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
I have a 17 and it runs cool at about 205 just cruising in Florida and it’s in the 90’s usually. It’s also not a performance package so smaller radiator. So I’m thinking that’s the normalish temp.

Are you possibly running in a lower gear now with the manual than you were with the A10?

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I've seen as high as high 230's when pushing the car in the mountains
Guess you enabled digital coolant temp readout with FORScan... BUT you don't have the digital dash, right? That's the only bad part of owning the latest and greatest digital dash; you just can't get digital readouts anymore. The dash has several options in digital readouts, but not oil nor coolant temperature. I added the GT350 gauge pod, which is better than nothing, but it's not a true oil temperature, so only semi useful. It increases with revs/speed, which I'm sure is not right. Wish I had at least the true coolant temperature, due to the fact the oil cooler is heated/cooled by the coolant, so coolant temperature could tell me more or less how the oil is doing. I bet on the highway coolant temperature goes down, and if the oil gauge goes up, I'd know for sure it's not right. With the coolant gauge buffered (like in all cars, basically), you have no idea if it's at 185 or 230; gauge is parked in the middle with anything between those 2 figures. Oh well. But the digital dash is pretty cool :D.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Guess you enabled digital coolant temp readout with FORScan... BUT you don't have the digital dash, right? That's the only bad part of owning the latest and greatest digital dash; you just can't get digital readouts anymore. The dash has several options in digital readouts, but not oil nor coolant temperature. I added the GT350 gauge pod, which is better than nothing, but it's not a true oil temperature, so only semi useful. It increases with revs/speed, which I'm sure is not right. Wish I had at least the true coolant temperature, due to the fact the oil cooler is heated/cooled by the coolant, so coolant temperature could tell me more or less how the oil is doing. I bet on the highway coolant temperature goes down, and if the oil gauge goes up, I'd know for sure it's not right. With the coolant gauge buffered (like in all cars, basically), you have no idea if it's at 185 or 230; gauge is parked in the middle with anything between those 2 figures. Oh well. But the digital dash is pretty cool :D.
My car has a menu with various readouts, there's no coolant temp option but there is cylinder head temp, which is what I was looking at. I also have oil temp but its an inferred gauge with a green, yellow, and red zone.

W.O.T. Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1 401A
In 100-105Âş temps in sport mode and pushing it a bit this is about where i sit. I wouldn't worry about it at all. Most people i know with dodge products, their cooling fans do not even come on until mid 220s. Makes you think something is wrong, but i assure you it's fine. The cars are smarter than us when it comes to what they can handle.. and if it were to overheat, it goes into a fail-safe mode to protect itself.
temp.jpg
Sponsored