Sponsored

Auto headlights, yes or no?

Do you keep it on auto headlight?

• Yes

Votes: 121 69.9%
  • No

Votes: 39 22.5%
  • Popeye’s makes great chicken sandwiches.

Votes: 17 9.8%

• Total voters

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Back on "auto"... With that box unchecked, the tribars stay on and headlights off until dusk.

I think the tribars are always on regardless.
20200808_145203.jpg
Hmm I don't have the same options wonder if its because I have a Canadian car but I would think us and the US cars would be the same or similar? I do have the Safe and Smart Package though too....

dash.jpg
Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Hmm I don't have the same options wonder if its because I have a Canadian car but I would think us and the US cars would be the same or similar? I do have the Safe and Smart Package though too....

dash.jpg
DRL’s are required in Canada therefore you do not have the ability to turn them off.

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Verified. Canadian cars so not have the option to turn off the DRL's. The option can be added with Forscan, but the way people drive around here, it's safer to have as much visibility as possible.

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase
The setting "daytime lights" is what causes this. On 18+, if you have the switch on auto and that enabled, the main lamps are basically always on. If you turn it off, it's just the tri bars.
Interesting... This should be filed right up there with the "trunk button above license plate" in the FAQ for new owners.

Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Well, shit, I found the "problem"...
20200808_143039.jpg
Was wondering if anyone was going to discover that setting.:clap:
That was one of the first things I shut off after taking delivery. Between those and the ambiant interior light, someone at Ford has way to much time on their hands.

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
I had mine set to auto since I bought it back in January. Then it occurred to me, why? It’s a “waste” running the headlights during the day WITH the daylight running triple slash lights. Plus, I think it looks far better with only the triple slash lights anyway. I get they are LED, however, I’m not sure how much replacement would be waaaay down the road. I know on some cars, HID and LED are crazy expensive to replace when they ultimately go out. My Mustang ramble for the day...
you know you can turn off the feature of the headlights being your DRLs right...

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Was wondering if anyone was going to discover that setting.:clap:
That was one of the first things I shut off after taking delivery. Between those and the ambiant interior light, someone at Ford has way to much time on their hands.
whenever i see a gen3 with the headlights on during the day i assume it's either a rental or some dude that just bought it, lol

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I love the tri-bar DRLs and wouldn't turn them off for anything in the world. They were actually one of the reasons, perhaps the most important one, why I didn't buy a Mustang back in 2016, when it became available here. For some strange, unknown reason, Ford decided not to offer them in Europe, but instead implemented the DRLs by means of halogen bulbs in the fog lamps. It looked utterly, utterly hideous.
It was only after 2018, when they finally gave us the tri-bars, that I became interested in the Mustang again.
To me an S550 without the tri-bar lights looks like a beautiful woman with a shaven head. It's still her, you can still tell that she's beautiful if you look hard enough, but something's obviously amiss. :blush:

Sponsored

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold
Three of our last four cars have had an 'auto' setting for the headlights. We've never used them except for a very few times accidentally hitting the switch's 'auto' position when turning the headlights on manually, and then forgetting to manually turn them off. Oddly enough, it's the Mustang that doesn't have an auto headlights feature even though it's the 'Premium' trim for its year.

As long as I am capable of turning the headlights on and off all by myself, I will continue to do so. If I ever get to the point where I might really need help doing that, maybe that's when I should at least stop driving at night. Otherwise, it feels mildly insulting to have something step in and do this for you, like you're back in the lower grades and need to be reminded or actively helped with things.

Norm
If it works well, and almost always does it when I would have, why would I not use it?

Unlike driving a manual transmission, there's no extra driving involvement or fun in switching lights on. If it didn't have auto lamps, I'd turn them on as one should, but I definitely won't shy away from a consistent and good tech.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
In three and a half years, I only remember turning the lights on manually once. It works fine by itself, and it's less likely to forget to switch on than I am.

Bit_the_Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I had mine set to auto since I bought it back in January. Then it occurred to me, why? It’s a “waste” running the headlights during the day WITH the daylight running triple slash lights. Plus, I think it looks far better with only the triple slash lights anyway. I get they are LED, however, I’m not sure how much replacement would be waaaay down the road. I know on some cars, HID and LED are crazy expensive to replace when they ultimately go out. My Mustang ramble for the day...
I think what you're talking about is a 2-part question/comment.
First, there is an option (at least on my '19 Bullitt) where you can turn off the headlights off as DRL - i.e., in this mode they no longer are on all the time, just the 3 bars (which by themselves look better I think).
The second would be with them off, if you have the headlight switch/knob in the Auto position, when the light sensor senses low outside light, turns on headlights/taillights.

That's the mode I have it on, with I think a 15 or 30sec delay (to reduce them cycling on and off on a sunny/shady drive). It cycled couples of times this morning, as I took an overpass and did an 180 to go from dark to directly towards a sunrise.

hws52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Henry
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
They come on at dark when set to "auto".

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love the tri-bar DRLs and wouldn't turn them off for anything in the world. They were actually one of the reasons, perhaps the most important one, why I didn't buy a Mustang back in 2016, when it became available here. For some strange, unknown reason, Ford decided not to offer them in Europe, but instead implemented the DRLs by means of halogen bulbs in the fog lamps. It looked utterly, utterly hideous.
It was only after 2018, when they finally gave us the tri-bars, that I became interested in the Mustang again.
To me an S550 without the tri-bar lights looks like a beautiful woman with a shaven head. It's still her, you can still tell that she's beautiful if you look hard enough, but something's obviously amiss. :blush:
We are talking about the headlights, not the tri bars. The headlights are on as the DRLs by default. You can turn this feature off, leaving only the tri bars as your DRLs (which looks better)
Sponsored