Jimmy5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2003 Silverado, 2020 Mustang GT PP2
A722B8A6-9D8C-4697-9AE0-5F8918C764E6.jpeg
So after a 7 month wait I finally get my PP2, the dealer doesn’t touch her aside from the PDI. I take care of the clean up and detail so the paint is flawless and what should happen after less than 3 months of ownership? The quarter panel meets a metal squeegee falling as I go to grab a ladder in the garage.

There is a little more to the story as my 4 year old lets the cats in the garage as I go to grab the ladder I turn my attention in their direction so I didn’t notice the squeegee by the ladder. I basically watched in slow motion as it hit my car and the wife came into the garage as it happened, she could feel my pain.

So I guess now I will find out how well Iconic Silver can be matched......

I know it could always be worse but
I am definitely done with 2020!!
Sponsored

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
Damn sorry to hear that. I had something similar happen to my 12’ Camaro SS. Had a long handle clamp fall off my shelf reaching for something else and hit the drivers side door.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
It's new paint so color matching shouldn't be a problem. How well you do body work/painting will be the challenge.
I can do a decent paint repair but if I want it perfect I go to a custom paint guy I know.

OP
OP
Jimmy5.0

Jimmy5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
Sorry, bro. We know the feels. She'll go just as fast, though...
It's new paint so color matching shouldn't be a problem. How well you do body work/painting will be the challenge.
I can do a decent paint repair but if I want it perfect I go to a custom paint guy I know.
The dealership I work at has a body shop and one of the painters is really good, so hopefully the repair will be minimal and you won’t be able to tell....I’ll be posting the final result when she’s all repaired

Sponsored

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
Yeah I make sure and not have anything hanging in my garage except my mustang only parking sign! And it's very well secured. I feel your pain though ugh.

cmxPPL219

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
A722B8A6-9D8C-4697-9AE0-5F8918C764E6.jpeg
So after a 7 month wait I finally get my PP2, the dealer doesn’t touch her aside from the PDI. I take care of the clean up and detail so the paint is flawless and what should happen after less than 3 months of ownership? The quarter panel meets a metal squeegee falling as I go to grab a ladder in the garage.

There is a little more to the story as my 4 year old lets the cats in the garage as I go to grab the ladder I turn my attention in their direction so I didn’t notice the squeegee by the ladder. I basically watched in slow motion as it hit my car and the wife came into the garage as it happened, she could feel my pain.

So I guess now I will find out how well Iconic Silver can be matched......

I know it could always be worse but
I am definitely done with 2020!!
I genuinely feel the pain, especially as a fellow PP2 owner.
This is why I hate having stuff and junk in my garage, it's just asking for trouble. It's not yet there, but my "dream garage" has nothing in it except for the cars, and a toolbox/cabinet system at the back of it holding all the tools and stuff. That's it!

Anyway, fully painting it might not be necessary - some pro detailers can actually just scuff the chips slightly, touch up the spots with matching paint, let it dry, then buff the paint so it blends over and smooths out on the surface, so as to not stick out like a small blob - This might be an option to explore, as I would really hate for you to have to get into repainting the whole panel on a brand new car, and not having the original paint there now. Good news is it could have been worse.

Good luck and keep us posted!

NeedForGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
That sucks. I got lucky with mine. I opened my garage door one day and the bolt holding the bracket came off with force when it was almost all the way up. The bolt thankfully hit my windsheild, but didn't do anything to it. I don't think my stomach dropped that much my entire life. lol

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Yeah sucks when things happen to these cars...
but nothing you can do... when you trade it in with some touch paint doubt they’ll care lol.
But sucks to have it look bad when you own it.
How much is the dealers body shop charging?

OP
OP
Jimmy5.0

Jimmy5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
Yeah sucks when things happen to these cars...
but nothing you can do... when you trade it in with some touch paint doubt they’ll care lol.
But sucks to have it look bad when you own it.
How much is the dealers body shop charging?
Well the painter looked at it today and since the damage is where it is, basically the quarter panel, pillar will have to be repainted and possible blend into the passenger door to make it a proper repair where you won’t really notice.

if the damage was in a different spot there would have been a possibility of doing a small repair and blending the paint. But unfortunately have to go with the big repair.

Didn’t want to have to make an insurance claim but now going to have to, at least it won’t affect my rate so I guess that’s a good thing.

Just have to find the right shop to bring her to for a proper repair, the body shop at my work is good but in this case the best thing is to go somewhere else.

So much for all factory paint.....

I’ll let you guys know how it goes once I find a shop for the repair.

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I can definitely relate to that. Ha ha. But contrary to that, it was 100% my fault. My brand new 1996 Lexus SC400 (my first expensive car) was in the garage when I needed to replace a garage door spring. It was 100+ outside, so didn't want my new baby to bake in the sun. Ha ha. And there was enough space for the ladder, so I set it, put the tools on the tray, and was about to finish the job... but the damn spring had more tension than I had leverage, and the inevitable stumble happened. I also saw the damn tools fall in slow motion onto the trunk and rear fender of my new red Lexus, being completely helpless. At least I didn't fall on top of it, but the carnage was a lot worse than the OP, due to heavier tools. I learned my lesson the hard way. Ha ha.

Mr. Brutus

Mr. Brutus
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brutus
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP Ruby
So sorry about your luck, I have had a few "self inflicted wounds" and they all made me sick to my stomach. I had a similar situation. The body shop wants to do traditional body work, paint and blend, take things back to panel lines, etc.. They wanted $2,700 for a simple wheel well scrape. I found a tech that does refurb work for used car dealers. They do undetectable spot repairs for much less. I spent $300 and got an undetectable repair. Did you ever notice that a used car dealer or Carmax has all of their cars with apparently ding free bodies and good paint? I know they aren't doing complete repaints on most of these cars. These techs are wizards between PDR, and focused paint work. I got the name off the tech from the Ford body shop person. A local used car dealer with nice clean cars also probably has a referral for you. As an earlier OP suggested, what do you have to loose? I was willing to try a $300 repair, and see how it came out, before doing major paint work on a brand new car. Wait until some other moron bumps you, and their insurance can pay for it then :like:.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
So sorry about your luck, I have had a few "self inflicted wounds" and they all made me sick to my stomach. I had a similar situation. The body shop wants to do traditional body work, paint and blend, take things back to panel lines, etc.. They wanted $2,700 for a simple wheel well scrape. I found a tech that does refurb work for used car dealers. They do undetectable spot repairs for much less. I spent $300 and got an undetectable repair. Did you ever notice that a used car dealer or Carmax has all of their cars with apparently ding free bodies and good paint? I know they aren't doing complete repaints on most of these cars. These techs are wizards between PDR, and focused paint work. I got the name off the tech from the Ford body shop person. A local used car dealer with nice clean cars also probably has a referral for you. As an earlier OP suggested, what do you have to loose? I was willing to try a $300 repair, and see how it came out, before doing major paint work on a brand new car. Wait until some other moron bumps you, and their insurance can pay for it then :like:.

Yeah that’s very good advice. Lot of solid repair guys are great!

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Ask around service dept at high end dealers and see who they use for small paint repairs.even get in touch with local car clubs,like vettes Lexus etc and see who they use.i have a great guy here in Atlanta who removed a long dent in my ext hood,touched up paint for 400 bucks.dealer wanted 2500.still looks great.
Here's link to vette club near you
https://www.bccorvetteclub.ca/
Sponsored

Last edited: