Differential R&I on jack stands?

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
Any pointers from anyone that's done it? I'm going to tackle that this over the weekend so I can replace the cover with one for a cooler

Basic steps as I've researched are
  • Remove exhaust
  • Remove brakes, Rotors,
  • Remove knuckle
  • Remove half shafts
  • Lower front of IRS cradle and remove forward bolts from diff
  • re-level the IRS cradle and remove the remaining bolts
  • lower the differential
  • Swap cover and reverse remembering to torque bolts with suspension pre-loaded.
Is it possible once the knuckle is loosened but not removed to pop the half shafts from the diff and remove the knuckle and half shaft as an assembly? My thought was to avoid disturbing the 1 time use half shaft nuts?

Anything else?

Thank you!
Sponsored

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
Any pointers from anyone that's done it? I'm going to tackle that this over the weekend so I can replace the cover with one for a cooler

Basic steps as I've researched are
  • Remove exhaust
  • Remove brakes, Rotors,
  • Remove knuckle
  • Remove half shafts
  • Lower front of IRS cradle and remove forward bolts from diff
  • re-level the IRS cradle and remove the remaining bolts
  • lower the differential
  • Swap cover and reverse remembering to torque bolts with suspension pre-loaded.
Is it possible once the knuckle is loosened but not removed to pop the half shafts from the diff and remove the knuckle and half shaft as an assembly? My thought was to avoid disturbing the 1 time use half shaft nuts?

Anything else?

Thank you!
When I did mine, I left the rotors and knuckle on. Just remove the calipers and support them out of the way with zip ties or what not. I didn't need to lower the cradle at all either. The front bolts you can reach without lowering the cradle. Make sure to mark the driveshaft when you remove it from the diff flange to make sure it goes in where it was removed from. Also, I would just budget for new axle nuts and not worry about trying to save them. If the axles come out without any issues, all in all, its a pretty easy swap.

StrongFord

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, MT, Deep Impact Blue, 401A
No need to touch the cradle bolts at all. The differential has it's own four bolts and it'll drop right down. The half shafts push into the knuckle and the knuckle will need to be pivoted down or removed to pull them out.

I'd recommend you support the car as high as you can to give yourself some working room. Having a second person to work the jack to lower and lift the diff while you work the wrenches is a big help.
upload_2020-5-12_11-28-18.png

upload_2020-5-12_11-27-37.png

OP
OP
NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
Wouldn't it be easier to just replace the drain and fill plugs with AN fittings?
I think so too, but I got one with the FTBR kit so on it goes

Sponsored

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Resurrecting a semi-old thread

Did you end up swapping it out with jack stands after all? My new to me diff gets here tomorrow so I'm contemplating whether it is too difficult for me or not.

OP
OP
NeverSatisfied

NeverSatisfied

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT 6MT Base
Yup I did it. It totally sucks. A second set of hands is extremely helpful or I’d at least get that low profile trans jack from HF to support the diff R&I.

I’ll pay someone to do it before I ever take that thing out again on the ground

Brian@BMVK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT - Sold

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
I just dropped the rear sub last week. Take your time; it's not too bad. I bought a Harbor Freight ATV/motorcycle jack that did a good job of allowing me to move & position everything in a reasonable manner.

An impact wrench makes getting things apart much easier & faster.

Sponsored

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
I did mine on jack stands and didn’t find it too difficult. I don’t know what kind of power you make (or plan to make) but I would consider through bolting the diff while you have it out or at a minimum upgrading the bolts.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I did mine on jack stands and didn’t find it too difficult. I don’t know what kind of power you make (or plan to make) but I would consider through bolting the diff while you have it out or at a minimum upgrading the bolts.
I have the Steeda bushing upgrade kit on now. Are you suggesting further upgrade?

TheHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Pack
I have the Steeda bushing upgrade kit on now. Are you suggesting further upgrade?
I had the steeda kit as well and with the power I was making with my whipple just on street driving my diff was still moving. When I pulled the steeda bolts out they had wear marks from moving. I ordered the extreme diff bolt kit from lethal performance which requires you to drill out two of the threaded bushings. The kit also comes with sleeves for the bolts to keep them from moving around inside the bushing. After installing that kit my diff hasn’t moved at all. Seeing that I had issues with the original steeda bolts only on street driving, I would imagine any one who drag races would eventually break the bolts. I wish I would have known about the bolt issue the first time I had my diff out and I would have replaced them at that time.
Sponsored