2015 Mustang GT Premium convertible electrical issues

Tarby07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium convertible
My 25gt has some strange electrical issues. The trunk light stopped working, replace the bulb still no joy. Also, intermittent issues with turn signals on both sides, and backup camera. When the turn signals act up, the outer and inner lights work and sequence oh, but the center one does not. Most of the time they work perfectly normally. Has anyone seen this issue, I expect its wiring? If so, is there a common weak point in the harness? Getting this manufacturers tape off of the wiring harness to investigate is a living nightmare. Thanks in advance
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
It seems to me that I've read about the wiring harness from the body to the trunk lid experiencing problems where it flexes between the two.
A site search should turn up some helpful info.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
My 25gt has some strange electrical issues. The trunk light stopped working, replace the bulb still no joy. Also, intermittent issues with turn signals on both sides, and backup camera. When the turn signals act up, the outer and inner lights work and sequence oh, but the center one does not. Most of the time they work perfectly normally. Has anyone seen this issue, I expect its wiring? If so, is there a common weak point in the harness? Getting this manufacturers tape off of the wiring harness to investigate is a living nightmare. Thanks in advance
Here you go.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/search/9179215/?q=Trunk+Wiring&o=date&c[node]=102

This harness short creates all sorts of issues with anything electrical on the backend of your car.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I know you've probably already made the repair but a bit of advice anyway.
I highly recommend against soldering any wiring for this repair. That will only make already fragile wiring more brittle and create stress points for future failures.
Using a good quality crimp on connector will give you a more reliable repair in the long run.
Were it mine I'd cut back the sheathing on both sides far enough that the crimp connectors would be safe from moving and stagger the wire lengths so as not to have a huge knot of connectors. Then use new, slightly longer, heavier guage wire to bridge the gap. I'd then put new sheathing on to protect and pretty it up.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tarby07

Tarby07

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium convertible
Post this post, found even MORE wires by, including some inside the semi-rigid covering, and the camera cables under electrical tape. Just received a pack of (10) pieces of 20 gauge wire to fabricate a clean section of harness. Frustrating.
Sponsored