2017 vs 2018 Mustang GT reliability

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Did you specifically want a base GT? I did, and no dealership had one anywhere in Grabber Blue. So I had to order it. Took 6 weeks iirc.
Yes, I did. I much prefer having buttons for changing the HVAC airflow rather than the touchscreen only. I also wanted cloth seats.
Sponsored

onlyturbo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rony
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6spd, 2016 Audi S4 (Sold)., 2009 Subaru STI (Sold), 2003 SAAB Aero (Sold)
Knock on wood. My '15 has almost 83k miles and the AC works perfectly. Also a base car.
We should start a new poll on this topic, lol.......

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Yes, I did. I much prefer having buttons for changing the HVAC airflow rather than the touchscreen only. I also wanted cloth seats.
My '18 GT Premium has both actual HVAC buttons and touchscreen controls for the HVAC. Temp., fan speed, AC on/off, defrost, recirc., etc., are available to change from either location. Was that a change from the '15s?

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I wasn't convinced either. I really doubted the claims.

But then I found the engine dyno results (versus the chassis dyno results) and I'm a believer. Right around 500HP, seems to be true.

Still.....doesn't feel like it.
I think 460 crank hp is on the low side, but I don't think it's 500 crank hp, but would say 475-480 hp is not out of the question for a stock Gen 3 Coyote. That said, the Gen 3 also has better low end torque than the Gen 1/2 Coyotes, combined with the A10 and a PP1 3.55 torsen rear-end, makes for a much quicker car.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Yeah the taller gearing of the 2018+ MT82s will do that. Driving an A10 vs the old A6, the difference feels closer to 100hp. To me, there's no doubt the Gen 3 Coyote was underrated, perhaps to protect the Bullitt and GT350.
The gearing of the '18+ MT-82 is unfortunate; could have been better. Ford nailed it in the A10, not so much in the M6 of the Gen 3 coyote cars.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
My '18 GT Premium has both actual HVAC buttons and touchscreen controls for the HVAC. Temp., fan speed, AC on/off, defrost, recirc., etc., are available to change from either location. Was that a change from the '15s?
You cannot change where your airflow goes unless you go into the touchscreen. Ford chose the dumb path of having dedicated buttons for Max AC, Max Defrost instead of using that button space for upper vents, lower vents. On the base, you simply turn and hold the temp knob all the way cold or hot to access those same functions. The same could've been done on the temp controls for the premium. It's simply design/styling people not being very smart about overall usability.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Driver side B-pillar occasional rattle and a creaking noise which is coming from the rear when changing elevations slowly or backing down the driveway.

My car is a lemon.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yeah the taller gearing of the 2018+ MT82s will do that. Driving an A10 vs the old A6, the difference feels closer to 100hp.
Yeah, it does - and I realize the Gen 3 has more power, decent more at the lower end, a ton more TQ in the mid-range, the A10 is a crazy fast, the engine pulls to 7500 RPM, etc., but it __still__ feels like much more than the Ford documented 25HP difference. I guess it's one of those sum-of-the-parts sort of things. My stock '19 felt much quicker than my tuned '16, but of course, that's Apples-to-Artichokes with the M6 PP vs. the A10 PP.

OP, there's also some additional perks with the MY18+ cars (some dependent on the specific options): better interior materials, 12" LCD dash, additional safety options, MY19/20 Sync 3.4 (well, MY19 "coming soon"), etc.

Sponsored

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
What accessory drives are on that engine they Dyno’d? I cannot tell. So I’m thinking the extra horses could be coming from the lack of parasitic loss of drive accessories (ac compressor, alternator, etc)

I do think the gen 3 is under rated but like others have posted more in the 470-480 hp range. That’s what my arm chair engine building experience tells me :)

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
What accessory drives are on that engine they Dyno’d?
Well right off the hop, no A/C or alternator. They may just have a belt from the crank pulley to the water pump, but I doubt it. And that JLT 14 horse only haha. In a dyno room with no heat shield all kinds of fans to make sure it sucks in cool air.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
What accessory drives are on that engine they Dyno’d? I cannot tell. So I’m thinking the extra horses could be coming from the lack of parasitic loss of drive accessories (ac compressor, alternator, etc)

I do think the gen 3 is under rated but like others have posted more in the 470-480 hp range. That’s what my arm chair engine building experience tells me :)
Ooooh....yeah.....good point.

I'd think it had the OEM water pump, but possibly lacked the alternator and A/C compressor?

Maybe it lacked the water pump too?

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Ooooh....yeah.....good point.

I'd think it had the OEM water pump, but possibly lacked the alternator and A/C compressor?

Maybe it lacked the water pump too?
I’m would assume at minimum a water pump pulley. And like mentioned above they tested in most likely a cool room(not near as hot as an engine bay,etc), with the lack of a couple of pulleys is why it was coming right up to the 500 mark stock. They did run full exhaust but it seems the factory headers are pretty decent.

I honestly think some gen3 coyote engines are closer to 460 net and some are getting close to 480 given all the online Dyno numbers I have seen. As some have stated in the past Ford put 460 as the rated horsepower because it is most likely the minimum they have seen with the production tolerances...but I’m sure there are some that are more around 475ish.
Sponsored