Sponsored

2017 vs 2018 Mustang GT reliability

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
LOL! i don't plan on selling my 50th... even my wife says if we are alive and so does the mustang line, she wants to buy a 100th lol

but, for example, mine was sticker price $43k in 2015, fully loaded, bought it in 2016 with low low miles on 27k+FL sales tax... i bought it wholesale obviously... but i buy all my car wholeasale... i don't pay any dealers fees or anything. one of the perks of working in this business... my car had at that moment a retail value around 35-38k used. for what i paid, on the street, you can only find a base model gt.

the equity i have on the mustang is big... and same with the sti and the wrx... i can sell/trade any of them and walk with a big chunk of cash of top.

to me, the only way to buy brand new is a good rebate and 0% on something i want to keep forever.
Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
buying brand new is the most retarded thing to do money wise... and i am a finance manager on a dealership lol.

be the 2nd owner... buy low miles, still have the warranty
Most of the time, esp at MSRP. However, I paid just under $41k for my '18 GT Premium new in late 2018 with an MSRP of $49k. I don't think that was a bad deal.

Longer gears (within reason) aren't as big a deal in trap speed as in, for example, 0-60. C&D got 116mph+ for the manual 6g Camaro and it's advertised with 455hp, and it has taller gears than the mt82-d4 (and a 3.73 rear end). And the difference isn't the torque...that doesn't matter as much as hp with car launched at the proper rpm. It's not that your 2018 has 60 more stock hp than the GenII (and 40 more than an LT1), it doesn't, but your 10-speed keeps the power on that flat high rpm power peak, so it stays at peak power almost the whole time. It's pretty awesome. That's why C&D got 120mph for the 2018 auto, 5-6mph faster than the manual, and they know how to drive manuals...
I think the A10 proves that the longer gears in the 18+MT 82 hurt the Gen 3 Coyote powered cars. With the proper gearing the Gen 3 Coyote is a 120 mph car in the 1/4 mile. Same engine, same weight. Further proof is that the Camaro SS M6 generally traps 1 mph better than the M6 Gen 3 Coyote, at similar weights and power levels. But the A10 Coyote traps 2-3 mph more than the A8/A10 Camaro SS. Gear ratios matter for trap speed as well.

Anyway, 35 hp over Gen 2 Coyotes seems about right. That would put it around 470 crank hp.

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
Ummm, such as what? The change in the fuel system? The 10R80, which has been proven to be solid? If the switch DI/port is what is preventing you from working on the car, you couldn't work on it in the first place.
Direct and port injection system high pressure fuel pumps much more electronic control for regulation between the two and yes the new 10 speed auto! Your right I wouldn't work on it because I wouldn't own one. My 16 is the newest I will ever own from ford!

green97probe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2014 Edge
Vehicle Showcase
The reliability of the 2018+ seemed to improve once a select few YouTubers stopped making noise.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
I think the A10 proves that the longer gears in the 18+MT 82 hurt the Gen 3 Coyote powered cars. With the proper gearing the Gen 3 Coyote is a 120 mph car in the 1/4 mile. Same engine, same weight. Further proof is that the Camaro SS M6 generally traps 1 mph better than the M6 Gen 3 Coyote, at similar weights and power levels. But the A10 Coyote traps 2-3 mph more than the A8/A10 Camaro SS. Gear ratios matter for trap speed as well.

Anyway, 35 hp over Gen 2 Coyotes seems about right. That would put it around 470 crank hp.
I agree with all you say except I don't think the mt84-d4 really hurts the quarter mile performance of the car if properly launched, again the LT1 does well with even taller gearing with its manual...yet gives similar or slightly better trap speeds (it weighs less even though it has a bit less power). I think the reason the auto 18+ mustangs kick butt is a magical combination of gearing and power curve shape. The GenIII has more of a shelf than a peak at max hp, and the 10 speed is perfectly suited to keep the engine on that shelf throughout a drag race. The LT1 has a traditional peak-and-dropoff power curve, so at redline the power's dropping and the next gear goes to the other side of the peak, even with 10 speeds. So the average power level that the engine is putting out is kept more constant in the GenIII, at max hp, but the LT1 has to climb up and drop off the power peak in each gear. It's like having a lot more power and the trap speed reflects that. The 10 speed Camaro is about AS fast as the old 8-speed auto, with the same engine. The other nice thing about the GenIII is high compression and (partial) DI, so if you take knock largely out of the equation like with E85, you can dial in a lot of spark advance even at 12:1 compression.

Sponsored

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
Your car is far more complicated than mine. I mean, those hood blinkers :cwl:. You can't even see both at the same time, so do you know they're working? On that note, I unscrew the bulb in the fridge to not waste electricity when the door is closed :crazy:.
I can see both but that's only because I'm 6'4 and my head is pretty close to the roof but they are quite advanced for there time lol.

ktp1598

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue California Special
My 2019 GT/CS 6MT makes most of the "normal" ticks and noises these cars make but runs like a beast with no issues at 13,500 miles so far. It's fed premium fuel & full synthetic oil.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Direct and port injection system high pressure fuel pumps much more electronic control for regulation between the two and yes the new 10 speed auto! Your right I wouldn't work on it because I wouldn't own one. My 16 is the newest I will ever own from ford!
I'm with ya but for different reasons. I won't own another Mustang because the build quality is shotty(had a 16, now a 14) and the idiots that head Ford don't know their head from their private parts.

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10

Sponsored

Coyote Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
2016 5.0 Coyote Red
Vehicle Showcase
I paid $30,000 for a 16 GT base w/3.55:1 gear ruby paint,6R80 trans. 70,100 miles with no codes, replaced battery only, oh and tires. A/C work's fine. Buy new w/warranty extended.

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
buying brand new is the most retarded thing to do money wise... and i am a finance manager on a dealership lol.

be the 2nd owner... buy low miles, still have the warranty
Winner right here. I just picked up a loaded 19' GT Premium with 7500 miles for 35k, list was 49,6XX.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Hahaha, I guess we're doing the Good Deal Flex :D

OK, I'll play ...

'19 GT Premium Convertible
Orange Fury
A10
Perf Pack
Magneride
401a Group
Safe and Smart
B&O
Active Exhaust

Bought in April 2019, used with only 4000 miles, mint condition, MSRP of ~$59K, $20,000 off MSRP / ~34% discount :D

Mike K.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
But wait the 17’s look better . Had to fuel the fire.

ktp1598

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue California Special
MaskedRacerX, You win!
Sponsored