GT500 vs ZLE

Arkarius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2018 ZL1, 2018 3.5 F-150, 2004 MSM
Arguing top speed is retarded since the GT500 will be so far ahead by the time they hit those speeds you will run out of room before the ZL1 catches up.

AFAIK the brake fade thing was a one time instance from one magazine test, and they noted the issue was no longer present the next time they tested a ZL1 1LE.
Sponsored

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Zle is better at stopping but I heard the brakes fade over a few laps.
Zle holder Gs better but at only .04 that's almost nothing, basically a tie.
Zle has higher top speed by 10mph. This is the most useless metric. And gt500 is limited electronically not physically.
Road course. Spend less than 90k. Buy the base model and compare it to a non 1le and the price difference is less. Who knows which one of those is faster.

The true advantage of the Camaro for me is the manual option. Honestly I will never own either car even if I could afford them. I dont mind the visibility of the Camaro but I can't get over how ugly it is. It never grew on me. And I would never by a gt500 cause I like manuals in my sports cars.
Don't forget, the ZLE has more body roll too.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Arguing top speed is retarded since the GT500 will be so far ahead by the time they hit those speeds you will run out of room before the ZL1 catches up.

AFAIK the brake fade thing was a one time instance from one magazine test, and they noted the issue was no longer present the next time they tested a ZL1 1LE.
Did they note that it was no longer present, or did they just not bring it up again?

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
I had a feeling this was going to be the verdict once these comparisons started trickling in.

But, I also agree with someone else here who pointed out that in this comparison, the cars weren’t actually driven on a road course. That’s where the true measure of the best car out of these two will come from.

My ZLE is an absolute animal and a blast to drive. I can confirm with what is said in the article, the ZLE is REALLY easy to drive hard and fast which makes is a ton of fun on the street.

by the way, the Multimatic shocks on the ZLE are not as bad as everyone says they are on the street........as long as you swap out the stock tires.

What I am waiting for and looking forward to is for Randy Probst to run these two cars back to back on the same day at the same track. That will be a ton of fun to watch and to get his opinion.

Arkarius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Did they note that it was no longer present, or did they just not bring it up again?
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a29389027/2019-chevrolet-camaro-zl1-1le-lightning-lap/

Not having to shift gave us more time to fully appreciate those brakes. They're regular cast-iron rotors clamped by six-piston calipers up front and four-pot grabbers in back, no carbon-ceramics here. Wise tells us he tuned the system to provide full stopping power even after a hard, initial stomp. At triple-digit speeds, most street cars like to be eased (quickly) into full braking, not jumped on. That's not the case with the 1LE. The Camaro allows for a swift kick to the wide pedal. Coupled with the Goodyear gumballs made just for this car, it's almost as if you can't brake late enough. No complaints about brake-pedal travel this time around.

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Nah. We know what Camaro Randy is about. Let’s see some noises drum up about billy Johnson testing the cars.

The pubs need to expand their contractors. Don’t just use the same guy who toes the line.

One this this last few years has opened up is that the media aren’t the most truthful bunch when there is no accountability.

The publishers need to get out of their licked down comfort zones and into the real world.

When your average YouTuber embarrasses your go=to contracted pro driver on non-prepped surfaces, there is a problem.

And when a publisher only seems to run on prepped tracks in certain situations, there is a problem.

When specific tracks are chosen in certain comparisons that are known to benefit a certain footprint, their is a problem.

It’s easy to get a real-world, honest read on these cars. But there often is some excuse as to why “our numbers are skewed, because we weren’t able to...” or “ If these numbers sound strange to you, please read our testing guidelines, which explain the possibilities of why some cars may not see their potential in our testing...” etc.

Yet the testing never changes, the contract driver never changes - or the driving is left to the guy who lays out the InDesign documents.

So calling it out now - Billy Johnson drives the GT500. Randy can drive the Camaro.

Then they can both switch cars.

Let’s see what they run then :)

Last edited:

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
I did answer, but your blue covered glasses don't allow you to read. And what's even funnier to think, you're the one who first day said "who builds a car in 2020 for less than a $100k that can beat a GT500..." Lol, but if anyone else gives criteria, it's nonsense. We can't go over $100k, it can't use 2018 or 2019 models lol...

I've asked you a question, and didn't see a response: who today builds the fastest 4 seat muscle car for the road course?

I'm sure you're keyboard won't allow you to type such an answer... We all can agree the GT500 is the quickest 4 seater in a straight line, although as I understand it, you need someone else to actually drive yours?

At the nurburgring, the GT3RS is faster. At Willow Springs the 3RS is faster, however it needs its Cup 2R's to do it. I don't think it's faster without them, it could go either way, track dependent.

Dave
sothe GT3rs is faster than a ZLE, and the gt500 ties the GT3RS, got it.. logic then dictates that which car is faster the gt500 or the zle?

ouch

I think we are just stating some facts (some like some don't)

GT500 wins
0-60
1/4 Mile
And if you remove back seat.. and spend over $90K... Should win on Road course.

ZL1 wins
Stopping
Maximum G's
Top speed
Lighter Weight
Road Course - anything Less than $90k (just to use Voodoos goofy logic)

Dave
zl1 wins everything on paper, gt500 gets it done on the pavement. there, everyone is satisfied and statement is 100% accurate

Arkarius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Nah. We know what Camaro Randy is about. Let’s see some noises drum up about seeing billy Johnson test the cars.
Here we go again. :D

Who cares who tests them, the more the merrier, I just hope we get some good comparisons for the epic showdown.

Arkarius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
sothe GT3rs is faster than a ZLE, and the gt500 ties the GT3RS, got it.. logic then dictates that which car is faster the gt500 or the zle?
You really can't read, can you?

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
by the way, the Multimatic shocks on the ZLE are not as bad as everyone says they are on the street........as long as you swap out the stock tires.
to?

tire sidewall is a component of suspension, sure but I'd much rather fix the ACTUAL problem. Or not have the problem in the first place.

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Here we go again. :D

Who cares who tests them, the more the merrier, I just hope we get some good comparisons for the epic showdown.

Everyone cares about biased testing.

One company is known to lobby. The other is known to let the customers do the talking.

Read the rest of my post above. Easy solution.

The GT500 has already been shown to be at least half a second faster in the quarter multiple times by non-pros. When your professional can’t come close to that... and then complains about the brakes that are are admittedly better than the competition... yeah. Good luck with that.

All this is doing is exposing what goes on with bias. Ford was wise to do the press event with average people doing runs along with the press.

And in today’s culture, we have so much information available in real-time, that it is so easy to spot fake news.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
The GT500 has already been shown to be at least half a second faster in the quarter multiple times by non-pros. When your professional can’t come close to that... and then complains about the brakes that are are admittedly better than the competition... yeah. Good luck with that.
You can't compare 10.7's and 10.9's on a prepped surface for the GT500 to instrumented verified unprepped surface testing that shows 11.4 being the "on the street" number.

Arkarius

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Read the rest of my post above. Easy solution.
You edited it after. :p I don't see why these mags don't test that way to truly shut everyone up, other than maybe the drivers not wanting to compete with each other for times.

I see the sandbagging comments from both camps and I call BS on both of them.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Interesting. I wonder what GM changed.

You can't compare 10.7's and 10.9's on a prepped surface for the GT500 to instrumented verified unprepped surface testing that shows 11.4 being the "on the street" number.
No, but one look at the ZL1 fast list and you can see their hero times of 10.9's with a majority of runs being in the 11.4 range.

We haven't even seen hero runs (negative DA) from the GT500 yet. With 10.6's already had, it's pretty safe to say they will be in the 10.4 range. Anyway you cut it, the GT500 so far appears to be 0.5+ seconds quicker in the 1/4 mile where it matters.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
Read the entire post. this ground has been covered.

Both prepped and not.

And how telling it is when your average joes can get to prepped tracks left and right, but your major publisher won’t - with some exceptions - just never the Mustang.

IF there were honest testing, you’d take it to the track, test, then on the road, test, and do it without the same Camaro owner doing the driving all the time.

Pretty simple stuff.
Sponsored