2016 Ecoboost Premium Misfire

DruDru_97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost premium
I've been having a problem with misfiring on my 2016 Ecoboost Premium (C.E.L Code P0301) . Usually it happens while in 5th/6th gear after flooring it. Normally it happens at speeds over 100mph but its happened a couple of times at around 80mph. It doesnt happen every time I go full throttle. I have NOT noticed white or blue smoke coming from the exhaust while at idle but I cant confirm that while accelerating.
I have only noticed this problem since modifying the car so maybe its the head gasket starting to give? I have not ran compression tests yet but I have swapped coil packs around and it is always misfiring on cylinder 1. Thought I might had a boost leak so I replaced the intercooler piping with the SR Performance piping today but have not had a chance to test if it is still misfiring.

Any suggestions?

Background info on my car:
2016 Ecoboost Mustang Premium
56k miles
Auto trans
MODS:
Roush CAI
SR Performance Intercooler piping
Mishimoto stock location intercooler
C&L Intake spacer (NOT throttle bottle spacer)
TurboSmart Wastegate Actuator (10psi spring)
TurboSmart Recirculating Blow off valve
Rev9 3" Catlless Downpipe
MBPR 3" Race Cat-back exhaust
Rev-X tuner with Unleashed Tune
Sponsored

Deleted member

I've been having a problem with misfiring on my 2016 Ecoboost Premium (C.E.L Code P0301) . Usually it happens while in 5th/6th gear after flooring it. Normally it happens at speeds over 100mph but its happened a couple of times at around 80mph. It doesnt happen every time I go full throttle. I have NOT noticed white or blue smoke coming from the exhaust while at idle but I cant confirm that while accelerating.
I have only noticed this problem since modifying the car so maybe its the head gasket starting to give? I have not ran compression tests yet but I have swapped coil packs around and it is always misfiring on cylinder 1. Thought I might had a boost leak so I replaced the intercooler piping with the SR Performance piping today but have not had a chance to test if it is still misfiring.

Any suggestions?

Background info on my car:
2016 Ecoboost Mustang Premium
56k miles
Auto trans
MODS:
Roush CAI
SR Performance Intercooler piping
Mishimoto stock location intercooler
C&L Intake spacer (NOT throttle bottle spacer)
TurboSmart Wastegate Actuator (10psi spring)
TurboSmart Recirculating Blow off valve
Rev9 3" Catlless Downpipe
MBPR 3" Race Cat-back exhaust
Rev-X tuner with Unleashed Tune
\

Few things to check,

You might not be seeing any smoke out the tail pipe yet, but check your coolant level see if it's dropping. The head gasket could be starting to weep into cyl 1. Check for vacuum leaks, that intake manifold spacer you have would be my prime suspect. If you're not using that for meth or port injection that I would take that thing off your car, it does absolutely nothing for you power wise, but creates a bigger potential for the seal between the manifold and the head to be no good.

What plugs are you running? Have you pulled any to see what they look like?

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Turbotigger604 covered most of it pretty good.
Note that flooring it in high gear = ecoboom eventually, depending on rear gearing you should be able to down shift at 80 or 100........high gear and flooring it creates a tremendous load on the motor.
Back to causes, ill assume you’re running 91 or 93 pump, is it from a good station with a fast turn around? New Mexico with warm days and cold nights = condensation.
Plugs- take a look at them like turbotigger604 suggested, do a couple hard pulls then read the plugs. It’s possible that you may need to close up the spark plug gap a bit, you could be experiencing spark blow out. Hmmm didn’t see it in your description but you should be running a one step colder plug than stock.

nv6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost
Our ecoboosts are plagued with sludge problems more likely on cylinder 1 and 2 so check for that first. Check the Spark plugs, you should be able to tell something is wrong by the look of the plugs, if significantly different from the rest and I would do a compression test on all cylinders should tell the tale, God speed.

Sponsored

nv6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost
Oil sludge builds up on intake valves, common Problem with direct port injection, where've you been? Known for triggering misfire codes.

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
Have a similar problem. Think I have the dreaded weep. Coolant levels in my car was to the point where the overflow tank looked empty. Added coolant to Max line and within the last 2-3months noticed it's gone down to being in between Min/Max line. Getting more(once a week) misfire codes since toping off the coolant.

Happens at startup never while driving if it matters.

no smoke.
Got P0420 about 3-4 times the last 4 months.
MY misfires codes are P0301, P0300, P0316
Cobb stage 1 91-I run 93 in the the car.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DruDru_97

DruDru_97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all of the suggestions!

To answer a few questions you guys have asked:
I run NGK Iridium LTR7IX-11 Plugs. I haven't checked the plugs recently so I will.
I run 91 pump gas, maybe running octane boost would help?
Coolant has not dropped in level over the past 2/3 months. I've kept an eye on this since buying the car knowing the "Ecoboom" tendency.
I believe the rear gearing is 3.55, I'd need to double check though.
I'll take off the intake spacer when I get some free time this week and see if that helps.

The P0301 code I get does NOT stay lit on the dash. It flashes while the car is trying to get back into the normal firing pattern and then turns off. The car misfires, takes a minute or 2 to spark again and get back into normal running, and the CEL stops. I'm only able to find the code after using my tuners CEL reader.

Come to think of it, I did get the P0316 code on the first startup after installing the intake manifold spacer, but it only happened once.

nv6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost
Have a similar problem. Think I have the dreaded weep. Coolant levels in my car was to the point where the overflow tank looked empty. Added coolant to Max line and within the last 2-3months noticed it's gone down to being in between Min/Max line. Getting more(once a week) misfire codes since toping off the coolant.

Happens at startup never while driving if it matters.

no smoke.
Got P0420 about 3-4 times the last 4 months.
MY misfires codes are P0301, P0300, P0316
Cobb stage 1 91-I run 93 in the the car.
original turbo?

Sponsored

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
Could be turbo, head gasket or coolant leak, you'll have to check everything well. harbor freight sells a coolant pressure tester that reveals the leak right away.
Thanks. The idle drops sometimes as well. Wondering if it time to do the purge valve again.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks. The idle drops sometimes as well. Wondering if it time to do the purge valve again.

If it was the purge valve or anything to do with the evap system, you’d have a code and very possibly a check engine light.......it may be a good idea to smoke test your intake and evap taking a look for leaks.

DUNDEM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Base EB PP
Good Idea. Thanks.
If it was the purge valve or anything to do with the evap system, you’d have a code and very possibly a check engine light.......it may be a good idea to smoke test your intake and evap taking a look for leaks.

OP
OP
DruDru_97

DruDru_97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
I had the purge valve issue. I didn’t have a CEL for a solid month while the idle dropped or it wouldn’t start after filling up.
Sponsored