Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Air Cooled Twins by Comp Turbo
That can handle 1200 WHP? The Turbo 400 ($6-8,000) seems to be a common swap now. But 70 MPH with 2800-3000 rpms is a bit extreme for me. Any other ideas out there?
Sponsored

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
Seems like cars with clutches are doing fine. If you're using transbrake and constantly beating the shit out of it, it won't last..

I plan on just doing clutches, converter and 3.31s or 3.15s(to stay out of 7th in the 1/4).

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Heat is the enemy of any clutch pack transmission, more so than power.

If you can keep the pulls short and keep the trans fluid cool, a nicely built 10R80 should handle that kind power.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
2019 GT TT 924 RWHP Mc Leod clutches in the 10R80 smoked, no way it will handle 1200 RWHP without adding more friction plates. IMO TH 400 would be your best choice for a reliable trans at that horsepower level.
10R80.jpg

Det_Riot

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
1994 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang GT
2019 GT TT 924 RWHP Mc Leod clutches in the 10R80 smoked, no way it will handle 1200 RWHP without adding more friction plates. IMO TH 400 would be your best choice for a reliable trans at that horsepower level.
10R80.jpg
That's unfortunate, wonder if it's something in the way the different tuners are setting these shifts up. I've seen some cars tear through OEM clutches at 700 wheel, and others go season without slip at 950+. Doesn't make sense that 924 wheel would slip Mcleod clutches

Sponsored

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Hell those look great compared to the stockers I just pulled LMAO
Clutch01.jpg
Clutch02.jpg
Clutch03.jpg
Clutch04.jpg

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
That's unfortunate, wonder if it's something in the way the different tuners are setting these shifts up. I've seen some cars tear through OEM clutches at 700 wheel, and others go season without slip at 950+. Doesn't make sense that 924 wheel would slip Mcleod clutches
Tuning was done by Lund so I'd hope that's not the issue, once you dissect the 10R80 and understand what clutch packs are applied in what gears it becomes clear why it won't work with the stock clutch count. You also have to take into account that turbo cars generally make more torque but in this case it was only 741 lb ft, having the torque reduction turned off may also be a contributing factor. The fact remains it did smoke the Mc Leod clutches and no 2 cars are the same so what works for 1 car may not work on another, I am currently trying to get the steels machined down to allow for more frictions to be added. It should also be noted that the trans did NOT skip a beat and there was no indication of any problem, the shift points were bang on what was commanded in the tune. I am building a sleeved block and thought it was a good idea to tear the trans down while it was out to have a look, so these other cars that have no issues may seem that way but until a teardown is performed no one will know for sure if there is signs of slippage or not. I heard rumors of a new friction material coming out but a simple phone call to the Raybestos engineer confirmed that's BS. They said this was the first time any problem was reported and have stated the GPZ material is the latest and greatest, there is nothing on the drawing board at this time. I also contacted Exedy and the engineering department has had a 10R80 in their possession for almost 1.5 years and nothing has been developed as of yet so I wouldn't hold my breath on a better option anytime soon from either company.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
the stockers I just pulled LMAO
So in order you smoked E, C, B, and F, how did your D clutches look those are the smallest in the drum with 6 frictions ?

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I didn’t get a picture, I honestly can’t remember how they looked. Those were the worst of it. You can kind of see them in the 3rd pic.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I didn’t get a picture, I honestly can’t remember how they looked. Those were the worst of it. You can kind of see them in the 3rd pic.
I don't understand why your B was smoked it's only on in 1st, 2nd, 8th, 9th, 10th, & reverse, so either you are going WOT in overdrive gears or in reverse lol.

Sponsored

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I don't understand why your B was smoked it's only on in 1st, 2nd, 8th, 9th, 10th, & reverse, so either you are going WOT in overdrive gears or in reverse lol.
You don’t think those launches at the drag strip would maybe heat them up a little in 1st/2nd?

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
You don’t think those launches at the drag strip would maybe heat them up a little in 1st/2nd?
Possibly in 1st gear A, B, D, & E are applied, and in 2nd gear A, B, D, & C are applied you'd think that 4 clutch's being applied in both gears would do the job but who knows. You could leave in second but B would still be applied and probably have the same issues.

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Possibly in 1st gear A, B, D, & E are applied, and in 2nd gear A, B, D, & C are applied you'd think that 4 clutch's being applied in both gears would do the job but who knows. You could leave in second but B would still be applied and probably have the same issues.
I’m also Lund tuned with the torque reduction removed. I’m sure that doesn’t help clutch life. But man when that next gear hits..... lol

CORNYOTE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Do you have the full breakdown of what is applied for each gear? I’ve always been curious but never found the breakdown.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
A part of me says to just go TH 400 and be done with it, having 3.15's out back wouldn't be that bad on the highway in regards to rpm. I just don't like how you have to cut out the tunnel for the shifter and the car won't be as fun to drive without the paddle shifters.
Sponsored