Swap Out 10r80

RyfleMach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
I have a 2022 Mach 1 with a 3.0L whipple, making about 650 hp right now. My 10r80 is having some issues, and I know it’ll just continue. This transmission is known to not be able to handle additional horsepower so I’m not surprised. I could get a built 10r80, but I figured if I’m going to do that, I could just swap to something else entirely. Or at least, if it’s possible.
Are there any other transmissions that I could swap to (automatic preferred)?
Sponsored

Exploded_Muffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I have a 2022 Mach 1 with a 3.0L whipple, making about 650 hp right now. My 10r80 is having some issues, and I know it’ll just continue. This transmission is known to not be able to handle additional horsepower so I’m not surprised. I could get a built 10r80, but I figured if I’m going to do that, I could just swap to something else entirely. Or at least, if it’s possible.
Are there any other transmissions that I could swap to (automatic preferred)?
What kinda issues are you having? Shift flares? Delayed shifts? or something else?
I assume that's not crank but 650 whp. How many miles have you had the Whipple on for and how do you drive the car?
I believe you can do a TH400 or 6R80 swap. I've seen a few people swap the 10R80 for the TH400 but haven't seen anyone go from a 10R80 to 6R80. The TH400 is not a good daily driver transmission however.

My advice will be to build up your stock 10R80 and see how that goes before going for a full swap.
If you're in round rock you can get your trans over to Midnight performance in Houston and have them build it up but will cost you $5000+ I believe.
If you're mechanically inclined and have the tools you can get a Suncoast stage 2 kit with upgraded and extra clutches for $2250 and build it up yourself.

I believe the Mach 1 10R80 has upgraded trans cooling vs the GT but that will be another thing to look at.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Well if you wanna go TH400 you'll need a manual trans PCM. Swapping in a 6r80 ain't gonna happen. Completely different sets of logic. Swapping in a 6R80 PCM ain't gonna do it either.

Exploded_Muffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
Thanks for confirming @WildHorse.
So OP your best bet is building up your 10R80 or trade for a different car.
I looked through your posts and see you have a Whipple Stage 1. Surprised you hurt the trans already at that power level unless you were running it hard with the trans fluid too cold (<100F) or too hot (>210F)

Oakley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang
Thanks for confirming @WildHorse.
So OP your best bet is building up your 10R80 or trade for a different car.
I looked through your posts and see you have a Whipple Stage 1. Surprised you hurt the trans already at that power level unless you were running it hard with the trans fluid too cold (<100F) or too hot (>210F)
this is the answer and anyone who disagrees is wrong.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Well if you wanna go TH400 you'll need a manual trans PCM.
I believe you can use an auto PCM with a manual, but cannot use a manual PCM with a auto.
Even if this is not possible used PCM's are cheap on the bay.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
OP
OP

RyfleMach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Mach 1
What kinda issues are you having? Shift flares? Delayed shifts? or something else?
I assume that's not crank but 650 whp. How many miles have you had the Whipple on for and how do you drive the car?
I believe you can do a TH400 or 6R80 swap. I've seen a few people swap the 10R80 for the TH400 but haven't seen anyone go from a 10R80 to 6R80. The TH400 is not a good daily driver transmission however.

My advice will be to build up your stock 10R80 and see how that goes before going for a full swap.
If you're in round rock you can get your trans over to Midnight performance in Houston and have them build it up but will cost you $5000+ I believe.
If you're mechanically inclined and have the tools you can get a Suncoast stage 2 kit with upgraded and extra clutches for $2250 and build it up yourself.

I believe the Mach 1 10R80 has upgraded trans cooling vs the GT but that will be another thing to look at.
I’ve only had the supercharger on for about 1000 miles. I drive the car pretty hard but it’s a daily. Whenever I leave work I always do a “launch” onto the 70 mph service road. In hindsight I’m probably not letting the trans fluid heat up enough.
My main issues are hard shifts (which I know can partially be attributed to the trans software learning how I drive), some delays going into second gear, and possible slippage in lower gears. For the slippage, it’s mostly in first through third, and it just feels like it’s hesistating, and it almost has a knocking to it.
When I’m coming to a stop, it also feels like the transmission has really hard down shifts, causing the car to lurch heavily.
It sounds like sticking to the 10r80 is the best option. Is it possible to just change out torque converter and clutch packs, then rebuild what I’ve got? Or is my trans too far gone?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I believe you can use an auto PCM with a manual, but cannot use a manual PCM with a auto.
Even if this is not possible used PCM's are cheap on the bay.
Wrong.

Sponsored

sabtaj1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 Mustang GT, 1965 Fairlane 500 wagon
If slipping it should throw check engine light. I think I would start by checking the fluid and be sure its full. They act up being a quart or less low. Who is it tuned by? could be just aggressive with torque limiters off

Exploded_Muffin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500
I’ve only had the supercharger on for about 1000 miles. I drive the car pretty hard but it’s a daily. Whenever I leave work I always do a “launch” onto the 70 mph service road. In hindsight I’m probably not letting the trans fluid heat up enough.
My main issues are hard shifts (which I know can partially be attributed to the trans software learning how I drive), some delays going into second gear, and possible slippage in lower gears. For the slippage, it’s mostly in first through third, and it just feels like it’s hesistating, and it almost has a knocking to it.
When I’m coming to a stop, it also feels like the transmission has really hard down shifts, causing the car to lurch heavily.
It sounds like sticking to the 10r80 is the best option. Is it possible to just change out torque converter and clutch packs, then rebuild what I’ve got? Or is my trans too far gone?
I'll assume you're running the Whipple tune and these trans symptoms are recent (if it's always been that way since you installed the Whipple then could be a tune issue).
You have 1000 miles on the trans so doubtful it's a trans learning issue.
It's unlikely the torque converter has failed at your power level driving on the street.
If you can eliminate the tuning issues then it's likely an underfilled/overfilled trans, valve body damage, or worn clutches.
You can drain the trans fluid and if you see a lot of silver metal flakes in it then it's a clutch issue.

So overall, this is how I'd go about trouble-shooting:
1. Eliminate tuning issues (If the car drove fine before and these symptoms started happening recently it's unlikely a tuning or trans learning issue)
2. Check fluid level: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/10r80-fluid-check.137537/post-3441645
3. Drain fluid and check for metal flakes in oil.
4. Overhaul/replace valve-body only (Depending on 3)
5. Replace valve-body + clutch packs (Depending on 3)

Lubner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joseph
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I have a Whipple on my 22 GT 10r80 and I was having issues too. I checked fluid and it was a quart low, and then I switched Wengerd Performance Tune it is day and night. I really enjoy the car now no issues.
Sponsored