Sponsored

[Updated]: 11.0@128 so far for GT500 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway

Boss2013

Threads
Reaction score
BlaqWhole said:
From what I've seen around is that most people in the Hellcat, Demon, Redeye, Camaro, and Corvette all have the same sentiments...that the GT500 is 5 years late,
Can anybody else explain exactly what the GT500 is late for?

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
No cell service under the larger bridges they had to move to
We would've also accepted:

1) The drive through has been insanely busy this week!

2) My teachers said if I don't get at least a C average this semester, I might get held back ... again!

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
It was originally supposed to be a 2018 but was delayed at least twice. At least once due to the DCT. Whether it was a question of the DCT not being ready or a matter of Ford switching horses mid-stream from a 10AT to a 7DCT is anybody's guess.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
It was originally supposed to be a 2018 but was delayed at least twice. At least once due to the DCT. Whether it was a question of the DCT not being ready or a matter of Ford switching horses mid-stream from a 10AT to a 7DCT is anybody's guess.
Right, but there's still the question of late for what? I mean, there's not some cosmic timeline where things have to occur at some predestined date, otherwise, they're a time space anomaly :D

It came out when it came out, sure there are other cars that came out before it, but that's ALWAYS the case, manufacturers aren't in some kind of synchronized release schedule - and just because it's an incremental improvement, doesn't mean it's any less successful, in fact, since it's faster and apparently more comfortable than GM's best competitor, I'd say that's a double slam dunk :D

At this point, I'm not sure what people are expecting anyway, we're running into physics limitations - does anyone really think, a front engined, RWD drive is going to hit the market and do a 9 second 1/4 on street tires? For under $100K?

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Right, but there's still the question of late for what? I mean, there's not some cosmic timeline where things have to occur at some predestined date, otherwise, they're a time space anomaly :D

It came out when it came out, sure there are other cars that came out before it, but that's ALWAYS the case, manufacturers aren't in some kind of synchronized release schedule - and just because it's an incremental improvement, doesn't mean it's any less successful, in fact, since it's faster and apparently more comfortable than GM's best competitor, I'd say that's a double slam dunk :D

At this point, I'm not sure what people are expecting anyway, we're running into physics limitations - does anyone really think, a front engined, RWD drive is going to hit the market and do a 9 second 1/4 on street tires? For under $100K?
Actually, they sorta are. And when one delays too far or one pulls ahead significantly it throws off the little “ballet” they’ve developed. Ever notice that F-150, Silverado, and Ram 1500 never release their new products in the same year? It’s not exactly collusion, but they do follow a certain cadence.

The thing that I think hurt Ford the most with the GT500 delays is that the GT350 was supposed to exit in 2018 as the GT500 came in. But since GT500 was late, GT350 was held over. Doesn’t seem like a bad thing, but it appears that GT350 staying around unchanged may have caused Ford to dumb down the GT PP2 in order to not step on the GT350 toes. Then they rushed to upgrade the GT350 and with the extra spent on the upgrades for 2019, it looks like GT350 will stick around for a few years, right alongside GT500. Pretty sure that was not the original plan. Keeping the GT350 around is definitely one hell of a recovery, but not putting coolers on the PP2 to go with the track tires, and then saying “well, it isn’t a track car” was one hell of a fumble.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
It’s funny to hear haters claim that.

if it came out late and it’s whooping the entire GM lineup and super cars, then I’d say they better be glad it’s late. If it came out a couple years earlier, it would have looked all the more impressive.

as it is, the only people who really felt it was late are those actually buying the car since they’ve been waiting so long.

the detractors should be glad that other cars were given the opportunity to exist and garner praise in the meantime.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Real interesting video with Alex Flores & Jon Lund. Looks like voodoo's insider input. About the transmission tuning. Being looked up tighter than a preachers virgin daughter was dead on. skip to about the 16 minute mark for that. Disappointing to the modders for sure. A lot of interesting points of view. About the GT500 in this video. John mentions in the video that a lot of 9.8's-9.9's should happen fairly quickly with the usual go fast mods. Not really ground break info but still worth a look.

biminiLX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 and a few others
Real interesting video with Alex Flores & Jon Lund. Looks like voodoo's insider input. About the transmission tuning. Being looked up tighter than a preachers virgin daughter was dead on. skip to about the 16 minute mark for that. Disappointing to the modders for sure. A lot of interesting points of view. About the GT500 in this video. John mentions in the video that a lot of 9.8's-9.9's should happen fairly quickly with the usual go fast mods. Not really ground break info but still worth a look.

Good point, BUT, this DCT is made by Tremec not Getrag and will be very common in comparison as the only trans in the 500 and the C8 Corvette. How many Vettes made per year?
My point, Tremec has always had great aftermarket support and eventually wants to have an aftermarket DCT available. I discussed this point with two Tremec engineers at the Hot Rod power tour.
Aftermarket will eventually crack the Tremec DCT controls, I’m much more confident in that then the GT Supercar Getrag unit.
Still, hopefully we can add 100-200hp to the 500/C8 and both DCT units survive, maybe even without tuning.
-J

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500

Ill watch in bit to see what he actually says, im not the biggest fan of his

Good point, BUT, this DCT is made by Tremec not Getrag and will be very common in comparison as the only trans in the 500 and the C8 Corvette. How many Vettes made per year?
My point, Tremec has always had great aftermarket support and eventually wants to have an aftermarket DCT available. I discussed this point with two Tremec engineers at the Hot Rod power tour.
Aftermarket will eventually crack the Tremec DCT controls, I’m much more confident in that then the GT Supercar Getrag unit.
Still, hopefully we can add 100-200hp to the 500/C8 and both DCT units survive, maybe even without tuning.
-J
After my conversation with them, im notso sure i want to reach for 200hp (yes tq is the real issue) right away.
I think +2psi, 93, 109 and e85 tunes, blower port and exhaust is as far as ill go until a shop, or other unlucky customer with more $$ than my POOR self, breaks 1st.

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Actually, they sorta are. And when one delays too far or one pulls ahead significantly it throws off the little “ballet” they’ve developed. Ever notice that F-150, Silverado, and Ram 1500 never release their new products in the same year? It’s not exactly collusion, but they do follow a certain cadence.

The thing that I think hurt Ford the most with the GT500 delays is that the GT350 was supposed to exit in 2018 as the GT500 came in. But since GT500 was late, GT350 was held over. Doesn’t seem like a bad thing, but it appears that GT350 staying around unchanged may have caused Ford to dumb down the GT PP2 in order to not step on the GT350 toes. Then they rushed to upgrade the GT350 and with the extra spent on the upgrades for 2019, it looks like GT350 will stick around for a few years, right alongside GT500. Pretty sure that was not the original plan. Keeping the GT350 around is definitely one hell of a recovery, but not putting coolers on the PP2 to go with the track tires, and then saying “well, it isn’t a track car” was one hell of a fumble.
What they should have done was add the A10 as an option to the GT350. That would have made it faster in all regards - track and strip. I might be in a GT350 if that was an option at the time. If the GT is any indication, an A10 GT350 would be a very fast car. The A10 in the GT* is 1/2 sec faster to 60 and in the 1/4 over the M6, and the A10 is worth 5 mph in trap speed. Being that the GT350 is a 12.3 @ 117 mph and the R is 12.2 @ 119 mph, those would likely equate to 11.8/11.9 @ 121-122 mph and 11.7/11.8 @ 123-124 mph. Nearly ZL1 levels of acceleration potential. Man, a wasted opportunity. With the A10 the GT350 would be unbelievable with that Voodoo engine, keeping it in its high rpm power band.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
What they should have done was add the A10 as an option to the GT350. That would have made it faster in all regards - track and strip. I might be in a GT350 if that was an option at the time. If the GT is any indication, an A10 GT350 would be a very fast car. The A10 in the GT* is 1/2 sec faster to 60 and in the 1/4 over the M6, and the A10 is worth 5 mph in trap speed. Being that the GT350 is a 12.3 @ 117 mph and the R is 12.2 @ 119 mph, those would likely equate to 11.8/11.9 @ 121-122 mph and 11.7/11.8 @ 123-124 mph. Nearly ZL1 levels of acceleration potential. Man, a wasted opportunity. With the A10 the GT350 would be unbelievable with that Voodoo engine, keeping it in its high rpm power band.
Depends on who is driving there have been a couple GT350's in the high 11's stock. Well driven GT's are also in the 12.2-4 range. There have also been manual 2018+ GT's in the high 11's with just good rubber. Realistically a GT350 could do more like a 11.6-7 with the A10 in theory. A stock A10 is about even to great driver in a GT350, or a manual 18+ with good drive and DR's.

scottgt500

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
Vehicle Showcase
Depends on who is driving there have been a couple GT350's in the high 11's stock. Well driven GT's are also in the 12.2-4 range. There have also been manual 2018+ GT's in the high 11's with just good rubber. Realistically a GT350 could do more like a 11.6-7 with the A10 in theory. A stock A10 is about even to great driver in a GT350, or a manual 18+ with good drive and DR's.
GT350 with a DCT would make me buy another GT350. High revving, high rpm power band with a DCT would be perfect imo. Ford needs to offer BOTH DCT and M6 in BOTH cars. I wish my ZR1 had a DCT. my stock GTR with its dct was a fun car even before mods. Chevy will have fun with the c8...I honestly think ford will have fun with future 350/500 models.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
GT350 with a DCT would make me buy another GT350. High revving, high rpm power band with a DCT would be perfect imo. Ford needs to offer BOTH DCT and M6 in BOTH cars. I wish my ZR1 had a DCT. my stock GTR with its dct was a fun car even before mods. Chevy will have fun with the c8...I honestly think ford will have fun with future 350/500 models.
The GT350 is probably better suited to the DCT. They could tune all of the torque management out. The GT500 is just making parts breaking power.

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
First we have people complaining about no manual in the GT500.
Now we have folks wishing the GT350 had a automatic.

I can see people wanting a manual GT500.
A automatic GT350 would be terrible.
Sponsored