Flex fuel tune

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
My car is around 9.8 AFR on the digital dash with my E85 tune.
That would be real e85. Unfortunately we are dealing with flex fuel blends here which are usually about e54.
Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
KAM reset, did a quick drive, car was already pretty much warmed up, did about 3-4 miles out and back on A1A, AFR didn't budge.

So I'm assuming if I stay off of WOT and keep the RPM under 4K or so, it's still safe to operate, until I get this sorted out.

That would be real e85. Unfortunately we are dealing with flex fuel blends here which are usually about e54.
I thought I saw a post (can't find it), Mustang board, local folks, saying the Gate E product actually tested pretty high, like more in the 7x area.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
KAM reset, did a quick drive, car was already pretty much warmed up, did about 3-4 miles out and back on A1A, AFR didn't budge.

So I'm assuming if I stay off of WOT and keep the RPM under 4K or so, it's still safe to operate, until I get this sorted out.

I thought I saw a post (can't find it), Mustang board, local folks, saying the Gate E product actually tested pretty high, like more in the 7x area.
It won't budge from ~14 AFR? Something doesn't sound right in the tune.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I stepped back through the process, like I'd debug some code :D

Got the tune from AED, moved to the X4, flashed over the existing 93 performance tune (assumed I didn't need to revert to stock), pretty sure I selected the correct tune (there's a few on my X4 now) since I shot a bunch of photos of the process.

Flashed as expected, DCTs all cleared, etc. Then did as described above drive it past 0 Miles, topped it off at the pump with Gate's E product, drive around in the prescribed manner (part/,id throttle at 1K-3/3.4K

It's running just fine, almost like stock, no other gauges showing anything out of the ordinary.

Worth a re-flash? Then an immediate KAM reset? Then 10 minute drive?

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I stepped back through the process, like I'd debug some code :D

Got the tune from AED, moved to the X4, flashed over the existing 93 performance tune (assumed I didn't need to revert to stock), pretty sure I selected the correct tune (there's a few on my X4 now) since I shot a bunch of photos of the process.

Flashed as expected, DCTs all cleared, etc. Then did as described above drive it past 0 Miles, topped it off at the pump with Gate's E product, drive around in the prescribed manner (part/,id throttle at 1K-3/3.4K)
Sounds like either you had to have selected the wrong tune or Shaun sent you the wrong one. It's very possible that it doesn't learn to the correct AFR, but for it not to move off of 14.0 something's wrong. It should adjust and richen up.

Sponsored

jmeiers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1/401A/A10
Vehicle Showcase
When I first switched to E85, my AFR dropped almost instantly it seemed. Never had a flex tune though.

Get a tester off Amazon. My local Sunoco tests right at 84/85% every time I test it. My station advertises as E85 even though it says Flex 51/83% on the pump handle.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Sounds like either you had to have selected the wrong tune or Shaun sent you the wrong one. It's very possible that it doesn't learn to the correct AFR, but for it not to move off of 14.0 something's wrong. It should adjust and richen up.
I looked back and I definitely selected the right tune, for the heck of it, I decided to shoot pics as I stepped through the process, I've got a photo of both the tune selection screen (with it highlighted) and the final screen after you step through all the options, and it shows the Flex tune again by name. So maybe it's the latter issue (hopefully he replies before the weekend).

When I first switched to E85, my AFR dropped almost instantly it seemed. Never had a flex tune though.

Get a tester off Amazon. My local Sunoco tests right at 84/85% every time I test it. My station advertises as E85 even though it says Flex 51/83% on the pump handle.
Yeah, that's the Gate station, it's labeled as E85, but also says Flex and shows that same range on the pump handle).

IMG_4407_1200.jpeg

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I looked back and I definitely selected the right tune, for the heck of it, I decided to shoot pics as I stepped through the process, I've got a photo of both the tune selection screen (with it highlighted) and the final screen after you step through all the options, and it shows the Flex tune again by name. So maybe it's the latter issue (hopefully he replies before the weekend).

Yeah, that's the Gate station, it's labeled as E85, but also says Flex and shows that same range on the pump handle).

IMG_4407_1200.jpeg
Yeah, sounds like he may have sent you the wrong tune. Check with him again that it's a flex tune and that the details for your car are correct. How many gallons of the FF you put in?

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Yeah, sounds like he may have sent you the wrong tune. Check with him again that it's a flex tune and that the details for your car are correct. How many gallons of the FF you put in?
I went all in, full tank, and my car was like a mile or two past 0 MILES TO E, so it was really empty!

He initially sent me just a 93 performance tune, we went through a couple of sets of logs, I had some janky gas from BP, got that sorted out, and he sent me a followup file for the Flex Tune, we had been in pretty close communication, so I think he was pretty up to date on my car.

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I went all in, full tank, and my car was like a mile or two past 0 MILES TO E, so it was really empty!
Oh yeahh. LOL
You should be around 10-10.5 AFR I'd wager. Check on that tune and stay out of the throttle until you get sorted. If you have a datalog device I wonder what it reports for your fuel trims, probably running hella lean.

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Oh yeahh. LOL
You should be around 10-10.5 AFR I'd wager. Check on that tune and stay out of the throttle until you get sorted. If you have a datalog device I wonder what it reports for your fuel trims, probably running hella lean.
Yeah, maybe we'll take the Durango out tonight :D

SAY WHAT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang Gt

He initially sent me just a 93 performance tune, we went through a couple of sets of logs, I had some janky gas from BP, got that sorted out, and he sent me a followup file for the Flex Tune, we had been in pretty close communication, so I think he was pretty up to date on my car.
typically the car will still have about .5 to 1 gallon of gas in the car if it hits E. But AFR should change pretty quickly after idling for 10-15mins and should go below 14.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
typically the car will still have about .5 to 1 gallon of gas in the car if it hits E. But AFR should change pretty quickly after idling for 10-15mins and should go below 14.
Oh yeah, I've run out a solid 1/8th of a tank, probably have 40 minutes of 1K-3K mild throttle drive time on it.