Sponsored

2019 GT350 H2H 2020 Supra GR - Motortrend on Demand

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Another win for the Shelby, albeit barely.

It overheated after hotlapping at bowling green.

And at high speed the splitter cane flying off. Crazy this shit is still happening!

Best real world 1/4 for the Shelby was 13.1@112 or so.

Great comparison. Even went as far as putting the supra on cup R tires. Gained just over 2 seconds a lap. Still 4 seconds slower than the 350.
Sponsored

lightrules

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
just signed up for the 14 day free trial so i can watch it. probably view it later tonight after the kids go down.

i have regular motor trend channel via cable (spectrum). i wonder if MT on demand is on there? i need to look. thanks for the link.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The GT350 overheated and understeered probably mostly due to not having the front splitter on the GT350. Hard to imagine they used a "hot lap" without the splitter for their road course test results, but the GT350 was so much faster than the Zupra anyway. Basically no contest. Even after swapping stickier tires on the Zupra it was still a lot slower.

OP
OP

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
The GT350 overheated and understeered probably mostly due to not having the front splitter on the GT350. Hard to imagine they used a "hot lap" without the splitter for their road course test results, but the GT350 was so much faster than the Zupra anyway. Basically no contest. Even after swapping stickier tires on the Zupra it was still a lot slower.
Yeah. I love the 350. Ons side note - damn man - the supra has the worst lateral sight lines I’ve ever seen.

The roof cut off limits my visibility left and right.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Which program is it? Im looking and Im not sure I have the right one

Sponsored

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Watched! Something wrong with the 350, Never seen one push that bad.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Yeah. I love the 350. Ons side note - damn man - the supra has the worst lateral sight lines I’ve ever seen.

The roof cut off limits my visibility left and right.
Yes, i thought the same driving one. I know people love to bash the camaro, but i thought i had better visibility in a 2018 SS 1LE then i did in my FRS. and way better then anything resembling an exotic. Spend some time in those and youll never complain about a camaro again as far as seeing out of it. I was really surprised with the Supra when it came out and now that ive been in one and seen what it can do tuned and modded. i wont dog it anymore.... except the front bumper.. fuck its ugly

762Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 17 Charger HC, 16 Challenger HC
I had a Motor trend paid subscription. Cancelled a long time ago because all of their stuff is ridiculous and biased as all hell. They regularly put some clown in a car that can't drive and compare it to a better, equal or slightly worse car with someone who knows how to use it in order to get the results they want. Latest example....watch the Redeye vs Ferrari episode. The british "bloke" in the Redeye is a total clown with no idea how to drive, never drag raced and he's on all season tires. Meanwhile my friends are running VERY low tens in their stock Redeyes with just a drag radial. So as if the 80K car vs 400K car wasn't enough they further skew the result with BS. TFL car on youtube is another example of car tomfoolery. Like anything in life, consider the source.

I do like and respect Randy Pobst.

Reactions: TDC

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
I had a Motor trend paid subscription. Cancelled a long time ago because all of their stuff is ridiculous and biased as all hell. They regularly put some clown in a car that can't drive and compare it to a better, equal or slightly worse car with someone who knows how to use it in order to get the results they want. Latest example....watch the Redeye vs Ferrari episode. The british "bloke" in the Redeye is a total clown with no idea how to drive, never drag raced and he's on all season tires. Meanwhile my friends are running VERY low tens in their stock Redeyes with just a drag radial. So as if the 80K car vs 400K car wasn't enough they further skew the result with BS. TFL car on youtube is another example of car tomfoolery. Like anything in life, consider the source.

I do like and respect Randy Pobst.
while I don’t believe he is on Randy’s level, and there are some people on this forum that say Randy can’t drive for shit, go figure. Jethro Bovingdon is suppose to be a professional racer. I never followed his career but it was posted on MT that he been in and won races. I believe 24hrs of Nürburgring but idk if he won or just entered and raced. He is “suppose” to be decent behind the wheel. That said if he was that good I’d love to see a H2H him vs Randy in the same car same day.

Sponsored

762Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
while I don’t believe he is on Randy’s level, and there are some people on this forum that say Randy can’t drive for shit, go figure. Jethro Bovingdon is suppose to be a professional racer. I never followed his career but it was posted on MT that he been in and won races. I believe 24hrs of Nürburgring but idk if he won or just entered and raced. He is “suppose” to be decent behind the wheel. That said if he was that good I’d love to see a H2H him vs Randy in the same car same day.
watch him drag race the Redeye....it should tell you all you need to know. Anybody with any level of experience up to and including watching a youtube video on how to operate a high horse power rear wheel drive car on a drag strip would make him look silly. Perhaps he is a skilled racer that is more interested in making good MT content and acting the part. Who knows. At least Randy will ring a car out and give honest feedback. He acts, drives and behaves professionally and gives professional feedback. The bloke.....not so much.

762Cat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I should also say...being able to get a race car around a track is a highly skilled event and there is credit due there. But it is not the same as driving a car at the drag strip or having the common sense and intelligence to learn how to drive and launch a specific vehicle or having the common sense to tire it appropriately. Dodge did not do that for you.....they are Dodge...what do you want? I just got the Shelby and I'm taking the time to learn the drive modes, seeing if LC is worth a damn or not (it's not in the HC), figuring out the best way to launch it, feeling out and learning the lateral grip, how good the brakes are, what features it has to help me etc..... Guaranteed having never driven it I'd be embarrassed at a Drag strip bogging it down in first gear and running shit times even though it's not a drag car. Dude ran a 13 in a low 10 second car. That is some amateur ass driving. My stock Hellcat ran 10.7 on a tire and low 11s on stock rubber. C'mon dude.

I read the MT article and though the Shelby bested the Supra, M2 BMW and the Cayman, they still managed to find a Shelby that "had a worn clutch" and didn't match performance they'd seen before. Now you're telling me they in the H2H put the Supra on a tire and tried to give it every advantage against a self admitted disadvantaged Shelby....this is MT crap at it's best.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Funny I keep reading about the gt350 over heating is this a thing?
Sponsored