Sponsored

Gt350 or C8

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Your argument is that since the Shelby and the c8 are the same price they are in the same class. I am just illustrating that being the same price doesn't make these cars in the same class of cars.
They are both performance cars that cost about the same. How are they not in the same class? Because the Vette has a better performance layout and will outperform it in every metric? That's the whole point of what I'm saying.
Ford, or anyone else for that matter, could have produced a 500 HP mid engined car for 60K, but they didn't.
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Because the Vette has a better performance layout and will outperform it in every metric?.
UGGGHHH!

I'm so sick of these incorrect blanket statements about the C8 on this FORD forum.

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
What a dumb ass statement these two car are not even the same category and the performance difference isn't going to be that much. Enjoy your c8 it's going to be the last corvette gen.
Thanks for your insight mr convertible.

The thread title is literally GT350 vs C8.

The OP put it in the same category, have your read the thread?

Whether you like it or not, the C8 and GT350 will be compared.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
UGGGHHH!

I'm so sick of these incorrect blanket statements about the C8 on this FORD forum.
Give me an example of what's incorrect?

The GT350 has a more engaging driving experience due to it's higher rev range and it's manual transmission. Voodoo probably makes better sounds (somewhat objective, and i haven't heard the vette in person.).

GT500 has neither of those things, well maybe a few more revs, and might possibly have a better performance on a track than the base vette,

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thanks for your insight mr convertible.

The thread title is literally GT350 vs C8.

The OP put it in the same category, have your read the thread?

Whether you like it or not, the C8 and GT350 will be compared.
Lol, how'd I miss this obvious rebuttal... We can't post about the subject of the thread...

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Give me an example of what's incorrect?
OK.

The all season tires on the C8 will not have the grip on the track that the tires on the GT350 and GT500 have. They will get hot quickly and lose grip. I'm sure they are performance all season tires, but they are not meant for track outings.

This is a performance metric - how well will a car perform on the road course. The C8 will not do as well as the GT350 or GT500 in this performance metric.

Same with brakes. I assume the engine and transmission cooling in the base car are not set up for track use either.

I would be willing to bet that at some point the higher power GT500 will beat it in a straight line. Might not be 0-60, but then again the GT500 might even beat the base C8 in 0-60. I haven't seen the performance figures for the base C8. The video I saw of one launching the tires spun quite a bit. That video made me think the base C8 won't be that fast in 0-60. It definitely won't be in the neighborhood of 3 seconds if the tires are spinning on launch.

So I disagree with your blanket statement that "the C8" will be better in every performance metric. Now, there may be some future higher optioned versions of the C8 that will be better than the GT350 and/or GT500 in every single performance metric. I fully expect that to happen - or at least I won't be surprised if it does. But we don't know about them and your original statement didn't say that some versions will out perform. From what I understood you were saying that even the base car will out perform.

And it won't.

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 350 Lead-foot grey
He's got some valid points, JT1. I think a Z51 package might be needed to compete.

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
Again, we are comparing a PONY car to a SPORTS car. The Vette has been a 2 seater SPORTS car since the late 50's.........Even with that said the BASE c8 will be nowhere near the performance of a 350 or a 500. I'm sorry, but being a mid engine does not give it magic fairy dust to compete with these vehicles.

Now the z51 package will give it better equipment to compete, and we still have to wait to see how well that turns out.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I think the C8 performance will be ballistic. But I am also not stupid enough to flat out say the C8 will be a better performer than the GT500 in this measure or that measure except for what we already know. The C8 Z51 Pack will hit 0-60 in 2.8 CLAIMED by Chevy. The GT500 will hit 0-60 in 3.4 CLAIMED by Ford. The GT500 limited stop speed is 180MPH claimed by Ford. The C8's is "We don't know yet." The C8's setup is THEORETICALLY more performance oriented but nothing is surefire. The one area I could potentially see the C8 struggling or not as good as anticipated is actually braking. Rotor size is hardly the single most important indicator of brake performance but the 13 and 14 inch rotors seem unusually small for a car that will end up weighing realistically mid 3500lbs.

All I know for sure is that the GT500's MSRP has become obscene.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
I think the C8 performance will be ballistic. But I am also not stupid enough to flat out say the C8 will be a better performer than the GT500 in this measure or that measure except for what we already know. The C8 Z51 Pack will hit 0-60 in 2.8 CLAIMED by Chevy. The GT500 will hit 0-60 in 3.4 CLAIMED by Ford. The GT500 limited stop speed is 180MPH claimed by Ford. The C8's is "We don't know yet." The C8's setup is THEORETICALLY more performance oriented but nothing is surefire. The one area I could potentially see the C8 struggling or not as good as anticipated is actually braking. Rotor size is hardly the single most important indicator of brake performance but the 13 and 14 inch rotors seem unusually small for a car that will end up weighing realistically mid 3500lbs.

All I know for sure is that the GT500's MSRP has become obscene.
If the CF GT500 is generally faster than a C7 Z06/Z07 as well as a ZL1 1LE, would you think that near $100k MSRP would be worth it?

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If the CF GT500 is generally faster than a C7 Z06/Z07 as well as a ZL1 1LE, would you think that near $100k MSRP would be worth it?
Actually I think the GT500 and the C8 have made a used ZL1 1LE rather compelling if one is looking for a track weapon. They're creeping into the mid-high 50K's now with not very many miles.

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Let’s be real, the C8 will shit all over the mustang platform.

I love my GT350, but don’t fool yourselves in thinking your 25k rental with 30k in motor and suspension is better.

Chevy just stepped up their game and I can guarantee you that anyone who was going to pay 20k over for a GT500 now has the C8 Z06 in their mind.
Oh God, here we go again. That's what they said about the Z28, Ford can never match that suspension!!!:cwl:

Shane361

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange Procharged GT
Vehicle Showcase
C8 is more Supercar than Sports Car anymore. It might be barely stepping into it but it has its foot in the door. At 60K no ADM over the Shelby GT500 with up to 50K ADM's....it's a no brainer. I would hope you as some people here have found them with less than 5K ADM. The only reason the GT350 has a dog in the fight is the manual gear box. I honesty am debating between a 13 ZR1 and a new Shelby GT350R. I hate every body style after the C6 to be honest. Looks wise the GT350 can't touch the 13 ZR1....it's opinion. It's also no slouch to say the least. Other Ford forums are really digging into this topic...Chevy is loving every second of it no doubt. C8 is a GAME CHANGER and being a Ford guy I don't say that lightly.

JT1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
OK.

The all season tires on the C8 will not have the grip on the track that the tires on the GT350 and GT500 have. They will get hot quickly and lose grip. I'm sure they are performance all season tires, but they are not meant for track outings.

This is a performance metric - how well will a car perform on the road course. The C8 will not do as well as the GT350 or GT500 in this performance metric.

Same with brakes. I assume the engine and transmission cooling in the base car are not set up for track use either.

I would be willing to bet that at some point the higher power GT500 will beat it in a straight line. Might not be 0-60, but then again the GT500 might even beat the base C8 in 0-60. I haven't seen the performance figures for the base C8. The video I saw of one launching the tires spun quite a bit. That video made me think the base C8 won't be that fast in 0-60. It definitely won't be in the neighborhood of 3 seconds if the tires are spinning on launch.

So I disagree with your blanket statement that "the C8" will be better in every performance metric. Now, there may be some future higher optioned versions of the C8 that will be better than the GT350 and/or GT500 in every single performance metric. I fully expect that to happen - or at least I won't be surprised if it does. But we don't know about them and your original statement didn't say that some versions will out perform. From what I understood you were saying that even the base car will out perform.

And it won't.
So your defense is... .all season tires? sorry, if I buy a C8, I won't bring I to the track on all season tires.

Further, Z51 cars will still be priced competitively with a GT350 so there's that.

Car has some pretty large brakes, I think you're in for a rude awakening,
Sponsored