Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

Roman Panek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roman
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang 5.0 GT 2015
Help!
Cardan shaft model 2015-2017 and model 2018-2019.
Can the new 2018 be fitted to a 2015 car ???
Are the dimensions the same? Are the mounting points the same?
I would like to replace it with the 2018 differential driver!
Does anyone have a personal experience ???
Thanks for the info...
Sponsored

Thestangb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ayham Kutit
Vehicle(s)
Black S550
SSM 46767 - 2015-2017 Mustang – 3.7L/5.0L – 6R80 - Clunk/Ping Noise When Shifting From ParkTo Reverse And/Or Park To Drive Engagement
Some 2015-2017 Mustang vehicles equipped with 3.7L and 5.0L built on or before 1-Apr-2017 equipped with a 6R80 transmission may exhibit a clunk or ping noise from the driveshaft when shifting from reverse to drive or drive to reverse. A revised driveshaft which has enhanced NVH characteristics has been released. For claiming, use causal part 4K145 and applicable labor operations in section 04 of the service labor time standards (SLTS) manual.

APPLICABLE VEHICLES
2015 - 2017 CAR: ZG S550N MUSTANG
2015 - 2017 CAR: ZG S550N MUSTANG

So what part number is it?? There's only 1 part number for the ds of 15-17

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10
Update: Mine has had some minor vibration over time, but recently it seems to have gone away. Where it used to vibrate a little 55-60 mph, it's now gone and I've not done a thing. This happen to anyone else?

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Update: Mine has had some minor vibration over time, but recently it seems to have gone away. Where it used to vibrate a little 55-60 mph, it's now gone and I've not done a thing. This happen to anyone else?

Yep

Sponsored

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10
Well I have a 19 and it has developed a slight vibration at about65-70 Mph, now I also have a a whomp whomp at 20mph. Im bring it in for service and its annoying but so far no other issues. The vibration is a very very low frequency,

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Well I have a 19 and it has developed a slight vibration at about65-70 Mph, now I also have a a whomp whomp at 20mph. Im bring it in for service and its annoying but so far no other issues. The vibration is a very very low frequency,
That sounds like a tire/wheel issue.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
One more question.
Did anyone solve the vibration by replacing the original cardan for one-piece aluminum cardan?
For this? :
https://www.americanmuscle.com/dss-aluminum-driveshaft-manual-2015gt.html
A one piece driveshaft will not fix the issue. In some cases it made the issue worse for people.

The only time a one piece MAY work, and I certainly have not tried this, is going carbon fiber. It's such a light/strong shaft with such a high critical speed, it usually smooths out any driveline.

That sounds like a bent wheel or shifted belt or something. I certainly have no 20mph whomp whomps

surfing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jes
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang V6 CONV
Hey Guys.. Our 2017 Ford Mustang V6 Convertible had this issue from the first day, now with 5000 miles Ford approved the buy back, hopefully the replacement 2019 will not have this issue.

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
I have not heard of a single 2018 up car with the drivetrain vibration. That will sound and feel like being in a turboprop airplane. The d.s., pinion flange and other parts on the newer cars are totally different from the 15-17s. Anything below 60 MPH is unrelated, and is most likely a tire/wheel.

Sponsored

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
I'm really late to this thread. I've just barely noticed my car is rumbling between 70-90 mph. I wouldn't quite call it a vibration but more of a pulsing rumble.

Is that what you all are experiencing or do I just have bad tires lol

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
Remind you of an airplane propeller? It can come in beats, “whoooooom-whoooooom”. It can vary with load.

Not a “shimmy” or back and fourth shake of the steering wheel?

That’s the downside of using these forums. Sometimes it can alert you to a problem that you didn’t know you had before. Haha

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
It's definitely not a shimmer. If I'm crusiing at 80 it feels like pulses. Actually yes similar to a propeller. There is nothing audible to it

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
That sounds like the drivetrain vibration. If it’s not severe or really annoying, I would recommend just trying to live with it. You can try what I did, unbolt the driveshaft of the pinion flange and rotate and reattach at 90° increments relative to the flange to see if that helps the vibration. After that, you can place washers under the pinion flange bolts to introduce a little bit of a compensatory imbalance that may help your vibration if it’s put on the right bolt on the flange. That’s really about all you can do without replacing the flange and driveshaft with 2018 and up versions from Ford. Do not go try to fix it with an aftermarket driveshaft. It’s a crapshoot. Even if the driveshaft manufacturer says their shafts are perfectly balanced, that perfect balance may not work with your flange, and then it will vibrate worse. If you are going to get an aftermarket shaft, it’s wise to purchase the 2018 and up pinion flange from Ford, since it has much tighter tolerances, and send the flange to your driveshaft manufacturer, and have them balance the new shaft and the flange as a matched set. Otherwise there is no certain way you will be able to get it vibration free.

Sucky situation. I’ve been around the world with this problem on many cars since 1999; The 99 through 01 cobras had horrible issues with this problem. And my 2016 mustang GT had it as well. I was able to make it better by clocking the driveshaft relative to the flange, but I never got rid of it. That’s why I traded the car in. I cannot tolerate this problem.

Last edited:

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Just dropped my car off at the dealer earlier today, the one I'm currently using now that I live out in PA. Going to follow up with the usual service adviser I work with since he was out today.

Of course, when I sat down w/ service and said (yes I've had the car in for this problem multiple times at my last dealer), the only thing they found on record in the oasis report was way back in 2016 with 2000 miles on the car when my old dealer put the new DS in. I'm willing to bet all the times they messed with the tires they never tied it to this issue.

I told the service adviser my last dealer kept blaming the tires, I know its not the tires, so I don't want it back saying "its fixed, we checked the tires". I'll keep rejecting it until they either fix it or I get pissed off enough to deal with it myself.
Sponsored