Couple of Random HPDE Questions

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
When I've run in sport plus mode I've destroyed my rear pads. I've melted through track pads with that setting, so I'll only do sport plus if it's mixed conditions or heavy rain or something. Track tends to be mostly ok, it only freaks out on huge elevation changes, like going over a sharp hill I can feel it cut power. It may be doing more that I'm just not aware of. Track mode does not seem to eat my rear brakes up though.
I'll risk a set of pads over the whole car. Especially when I'm new at it. i have a very agressive style and would appreciate traction and stability control while I learn how to drive on a fast track should I ever go to one.
Sponsored

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
I'll risk a set of pads over the whole car. Especially when I'm new at it. i have a very agressive style and would appreciate traction and stability control while I learn how to drive on a fast track should I ever go to one.
Track mode still keeps 20-25% of TC and stability.
I found out i was much safer on the track with track mode more than sport .
Sport was intervening so many times that I couldn't predict ..it was dangerous IMO

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Track mode still keeps 20-25% of TC and stability.
I found out i was much safer on the track with track mode more than sport .
Sport was intervening so many times that I couldn't predict ..it was dangerous IMO
Really? I thought track mode turned them all off?

Flyhalf

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Alessandro
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 18 10speed auto PP1 , GT500 '21
That is advance track mode
:)
I did like you. I said. I want sport cause I'm aggressive .Then i lost the rear brake and i understood the trackmode is better :)

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Track mode is simply reduced TC. There is still some. You can hold the switch down to completely turn TC off but the car can still turn it back on if it thinks the car is in a dangerous situation. This is why people just pull the fuse or plug so it stays off.

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Track mode has traction control off and significantly reduced stability control (Advancetrac). Holding traction control button for 7 seconds turns off stability control completely and at this point nothing is left (except ABS).

Sometime you can get a message while driving (you have to be driving hard though) "Service Advancetrac" which makes the car go to Normal mode and everything comes back on.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Non
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Ecoboost (Premium Plus, Perf. Pack, Ruby Red)
Track mode has traction control off and significantly reduced stability control (Advancetrac). Holding traction control button for 7 seconds turns off stability control completely and at this point nothing is left (except ABS).

Sometime you can get a message while driving (you have to be driving hard though) "Service Advancetrac" which makes the car go to Normal mode and everything comes back on.
Wait a minute. If a person gets in a mustang, starts it up and holds down the disable button for 10 seconds (shutting off advancetrac and esp), it can possibly turn back on again on its own? Like, say if someone was doing spirited driving in a windy mountain road and skidding alot?

...If so, my next question is this: how necessary is ABS in life, and can I go without it?

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
...If so, my next question is this: how necessary is ABS in life, and can I go without it?
Let me tell you exactly how necessary is ABS in life. In 2013 I owned rare Honda Concerto top of the line spec best engine, all bells and whistles for a car made in 1991's at this point in time there was no ABS so the car lacked that function. I was still with old winter tires (my mistake teach me to never use old rubber) in May and was super hot I drove for 180 km's on the interstate then got to my home town and driving in the city it started raining summer rain you know so my old winter tires were hot but now everything was cold so they didn't have any traction what so ever a guy in front of me stopped suddenly as he was entering a blind turn I jumped on the breaks but remember no ABS so the car locked and started sliding towers the pavement this was with 40 km/h I hit the pavement with probably 20 km/h or so my car broke steering column in the impact and that was the end of it. If this is what could happen on a 131 bhp car with no ABS during 40 km/h imagine what could happen on Laguna Seca in a 420 bhp Mustang with ABS turned off.

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
Wait a minute. If a person gets in a mustang, starts it up and holds down the disable button for 10 seconds (shutting off advancetrac and esp), it can possibly turn back on again on its own? Like, say if someone was doing spirited driving in a windy mountain road and skidding alot?

Yes, but I've only had it happen during Autocross on sticky tires because of the quick and harsh changes in direction. It never happened on my stock MPSS tires because the G forces never got that high.

That said, I run Track Mode every time I'm on a road course. It allows for just enough leeway to where it doesn't intervene too much but when it does, it's usually to save your ass from spinning out. I'm not comfortable enough on track to risk turning everything off at those high speeds. I turn everything off for autocross though.

As for ABS, no, don't ever turn that off or get rid of it. The ONLY way you'll benefit from no ABS is if you're the second coming of Ayerton Senna. And even then, ABS will still probably save your life one day.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Don't know how likely it is to happen during spirited driving (IMO - highly unlikely) but yes, it can definitely turn back again on its own. Happened to me many (unfortunately) times.

Very - especially if you do any kind of spirited driving with hard braking. Try driving an old car without one (friend had an old JDM MR2, I have '65 Pony), you'll see - if the car has good brakes capable of locking the wheels.
Sponsored