Sport mode shift

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Sorry for what may be too simple.when I got the car 2 weeks ago,when I put in sport mode im pretty sure it shifting up and down with engine speed.yesterday and today it would run up to 4000 rpm and not upshift.it downshifts ok.read the manual and it says it should do both.could I have inadvertently changed a setting.thanks for any advice.
Sponsored

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Are you sure you didnt touch either paddle after putting it into S mode? Im taking it as you are talking S on the gear shifter and not sport driving mode via toggle switch

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Sorry for what may be too simple.when I got the car 2 weeks ago,when I put in sport mode im pretty sure it shifting up and down with engine speed.yesterday and today it would run up to 4000 rpm and not upshift.it downshifts ok.read the manual and it says it should do both.could I have inadvertently changed a setting.thanks for any advice.

Auto Transmission selector In Sport (S) mode, the Driver has (2) options:

A) Touch the paddle and the trans is now controlled strictly by the Driver. This means if you click the paddle from a dead stop and start accelerating - the trans will NOT shift from 1 to 2 (or into any next gear) until the Driver makes the change manually. The car WILL hold the gear and WILL redline until the manual change is made by the driver. If the car was in motion and the Driver clicked a paddle (up or down), again, the trans WILL hold the current gear and CAN redline until the Driver makes the manual change.

B) If after vehicle start up, the Driver selected (S) initially and has NOT touched the paddles at all - in (S) the car will hold out the gears much longer than if in (D); the trans WILL auto shift but will NOT hold the gear out to redline based on the preprogrammed mapping from Ford. IF while driving, the user moves the shifter from (D) to (S) and the Driver does NOT touch the paddles, again the trans will react exactly in the same manner where it’s following the preprogrammed mapping from Ford.

OP
OP
Torched10

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
Thanks a lot.yes I did use paddle while in sport mode.from your great detailed responses,if I start out in sport,it'll shift,if I touch paddle,I'm in control,up or down shift.thanks again.

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
That is correct. If you wish to go back to automatic shifting just bump the shifter to D mode and then back to S and it will be automatic until you touch a paddle again

Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
If you wish to go back to automatic shifting just bump the shifter to D mode and then back to S and it will be automatic until you touch a paddle again
Or, hold the “+” paddle for more than 2 seconds and the transmission will revert to controlling shifts. Also, in S, you will know if it is expecting you to shift because it will show the paddles in the display (at least it does so on my 201A digital dash).

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
As you know normally in D you can shift with a paddle and after a few seconds the trans reverts to full automatic. However, you can downshift using a paddle and it will hold that gear as long as your foot stays off the gas pedal. This is handy for either maintaining speed on a loooong downhill or for slowing gradually without using the brakes.

Edit to clarify a statement in another post. The GT in either D or S will automatically shift at very close to redline if the throttle is floored. Note that if in S and shifting manually you actually need to "short shift" by a few hundred rpm to avoid hitting the rev limiter. If you hit the limiter the normal very fast manual shift becomes very slow.

OP
OP
Torched10

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
As you know normally in D you can shift with a paddle and after a few seconds the trans reverts to full automatic. However, you can downshift using a paddle and it will hold that gear as long as your foot stays off the gas pedal. This is handy for either maintaining speed on a loooong downhill or for slowing gradually without using the brakes.
Once again you folks are great.i do have the digital dash,where would the paddles show up on the dash.right now I have 3 gauges on it,relative to them where would paddles show up.thanks again

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Once again you folks are great.i do have the digital dash,where would the paddles show up on the dash.right now I have 3 gauges on it,relative to them where would paddles show up.thanks again
When you have the dash set “normal”, i.e., round tach and speedo, the paddles will display on each side of the gear number in the tach. I haven’t really used the other displays, so I can’t help you there, but probably in the same vicinity.

OP
OP
Torched10

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
When you have the dash set “normal”, i.e., round tach and speedo, the paddles will display on each side of the gear number in the tach. I haven’t really used the other displays, so I can’t help you there, but probably in the same vicinity.
Thanks a lot.the gauges in the middle ate pretty cool
Oil pressure,engine temp,and I have vacuum gauges,but you have several choices. i forget how I set them up.but I think it was settings,then gauge cluster.ill,look it up and repost.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Torched10

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
You guys are amazing,tried out all your suggestions,and they all helped.especially liked the coasting hint,and 2 second rule for getting back into auto gear shifting while in sport.your knowledge blows me away.
Sponsored