Sponsored

Do you experience vibration and rumbling between 50 and 70 mph?

• Total voters

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
I wasn't able to get my FR3Z-4A263-A Damper installed on my 17 GT. The spare tire well is in the way.
As long as it bolts to one of the differential mounting points, or even to the differential itself, it will work. Is there any place else you can put it?

https://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=1504

See the front differential mount bolts? I don’t know if there is clearance there but it will work the same if there is clearance. If you have a chance to check, let us know what you find.
Sponsored

Last edited:

16EBStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost Mustang/MT6
Speaking from personal experience (I had a 2016 Ecoboost with a manual transmission, non PP car), I can tell you that the problem is in fact within the differential.

I realized that I had a problem at about 1,200 miles and took the car to my local dealership (the car had not been purchased there but about 3 hours away at Koons Sterling, VA).

First visit resulted in them replacing all 4 tires and 1 wheel.

Second visit, an alignment and a new wheel

3rd visit a new drive shaft (drove it two miles and they had made the vibration about 5x worse trturning it to the dealer.

4th visit, new drive shaft balanced by a 3rd party.

5th visit, another new drive shaft.

Then it got serious...

They replaced the center section of the rear end assembly. seemed to be better, but rear end of the car had a serious swaying action when making long sweeping turns. It took 2 visits for them to admit to the swaying problem.

8th visit, replace entire rear end assembly (everything between the brakes).

Vibration returns after a few thousand miles (but swaying issue solved).

9th visit, dealer replaces ring and pinion and states that the factory had incorrectly set up the ring and pinion.

Add to all of this that while the car is sitting outside at the dealership waiting for a new water pump, a summer storm covers the car with hail damage (which the dealer graciously fixes for free).

In total, the car had 13 service visits and over 30 days in possession of the dealer, but in the end, they fixed it. However, I got cold feet (figured that resale might be an issue knowing what a CarFax would look like), so I called Ford Customer Service and initiated a RAV (but that's another story).

In the end, since I had documented the issue at an early state, the RAV cost me less than $300 to move into a 2018 (after essentially driving the 2016 for 2 years and 24,000 miles.

Throughout the two years, the service department was more than accommodating. At one point the car was at the dealer for 3 weeks for which they offered a free rental!

Moral of the story, if under warranty, be firm and fair with your dealership.

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
86 GT, red; 88 LX 5.0, black; 95 GT black; 99 Cobra with mods (still own); ‘16 GT, PP, manual, Ruby, drivetrain vibration!; Traded for ‘19 GT, A10, velocity blue, love it.
It always baffles me that they want the to "check the tires" first - what that means is that they do not understand the problem themselves, or they do not have confidence that the dealership techs can tell the difference between a tire problem and a driveline harmonic. They are nothing alike. There is no way this problem can be solved by tires (or clutches, or flywheels). By definition, it is the driveshaft or the pinion flange. The driveshaft hanger bearing I always thought was a "soft part" that deteriorated with mileage, and the resulting slack could accentuate a drivetrain harmonic. They changed these (along with the driveshaft, pinion flange) on the vibration-free 2018-19's.

A great deal of work has actually be done by readers of this thread to identify the causes of this problem. Many posts back, we surmised that the problem involved mismatched tolerances between the driveshaft and flange. There is plenty of historical (and mechanical) precedence for this.

Besides driveshaft/flange mismatch issues, the hanger bearing became suspect as an additional culprit after owners started reporting that the vibration appeared suddenly with a few thousand miles, and others reported that their vibration was cured, and then came back. It's really the only component in the driveline that could be softening up and permitting the vibration harmonic to be amplified to a noticeable level. The differential bushings could, in theory, cause a vibe due to changed pinion angle. This would mostly manifest during accel/decel, however, and might not contribute to vibrations at constant speeds unless they are really shot.

This vibration has nothing to do with half shafts, differential side bearings, tires, clutches, torque converters, etc., since they operate at different speeds than the driveshaft, and the "vibe" we are talking about is a completely different frequency. It feels like an airplane propeller (propeller - propeller shaft). A bad pinion bearing MIGHT accentuate the problem, as could excessive gear backlash, but that is a longshot. I got rid of my vibrating 2016, and the 2019 is smooth as silk (for reasons I describe above).

If you're paranoid about these (or other) problems, work out a reasonable deal on a LEASE with your dealership. That's what I did. At the end of the lease you can buy it if there are no serious issues. Or turn it in on a newer model. :)

The above user (@16EBStang) who said to be firm and fair with your dealership is absolutely correct.

Last edited:

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
@john Vallo, thanks so much for posting that info!

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
So are the 2018-19 cars vibration free- and is the AC evap problem fixed now? I fixed my 2015 EB vibration problem by getting a Challenger but I'm looking at a 2018 EB with 11K miles on it for cheap money. Also, are the 10sp auto smooth in the Mustang? My 2018 F150 was horrible and never shifted well. Always lurched and clunked into the lower gears. After the Mustang and F150, I'm pretty leery of buying another Ford.
From indications, yes. The vibe problem is fixed on the 2018-up cars. There is not a single report that I can find that indicates the same type of tolerance mismatch. If someone here knows of one I’m sure they’lll post.

Good Q on the Evap. I was wondering the same thing. I really like my A10, but I expect a certain amount of clunkiness.

Last edited:

Sponsored

shelbywannabe

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black Mustang GT PP
From indications, yes. The vibe problem is fixed on the 2018-up cars. There is not a single report that I can find that indicates the same type of tolerance mismatch. If someone here knows of one I’m sure they’lll post.

Good Q on the Evap. I was wondering the same thing. I really like my A10, but I expect a certain amount of clunkiness.
From what I have read the engine tick in the newer Coyote engines has got Ford's attention right now along with the GT350 oil consumption issues. Its really a shame to read about these issues because I love the look of the Mustang but after my experiences I am scared to buy another right now

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
The tick is interesting. But it doesn't appear to be universal. The vibration problem was far more pervasive than the tick. Many people do not notice the vibration. Everyone will notice a tick. if I wanted something that is thoroughly snug in almost all respects, I would have gotten a Camry. But my 2019 A10 is just so damn fun!

It is really curious that Kia is the #1 ranked brand in quality now...

Ford is actually way up there in many rankings...I think I saw it at #4 somewhere. In other studies, a bit lowe, but ahead of some other brands that I was surprised by.

weird.

Last edited:

Thestangb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ayham Kutit
Vehicle(s)
Black S550
Anyone knows the part number of the "redesigned" ds?

I also wonder if the one that comes on the A10 can be installed on the A06?

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
Anyone knows the part number of the "redesigned" ds?

I also wonder if the one that comes on the A10 can be installed on the A06?
Good question. I would think the answer is "yes", but this may not be accurate. Can anyone please help him out?

Please do not replace the driveshaft by itself. You should also replace the pinion flange with the updated 2018-up version. Otherwise, you are asking for trouble...if experience has taught us anything it's that driveshafts and flanges are matched sets. The front driveshaft is not a concern and should not need replacement.

Whether you need the updated hanger bearing and crossmember for the 2018-up is another story. You can try replacing DS and flange and please do report back to us.

Thestangb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ayham Kutit
Vehicle(s)
Black S550
Good question. I would think the answer is "yes", but this may not be accurate. Can anyone please help him out?

Please do not replace the driveshaft by itself. You should also replace the pinion flange with the updated 2018-up version. Otherwise, you are asking for trouble...if experience has taught us anything it's that driveshafts and flanges are matched sets. The front driveshaft is not a concern and should not need replacement.

Whether you need the updated hanger bearing and crossmember for the 2018-up is another story. You can try replacing DS and flange and please do report back to us.
Will go grab the parts from a wrecked 18-19 once someone confirms they fit for 15-17 and will let u guys know :)

Sponsored

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)

Thestangb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ayham Kutit
Vehicle(s)
Black S550

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
Looking at both driveshafts they do look different from the transmission end
That is unfortunate, if true. Not sure where to go after this in your research, unless its to contact a reputable performance shop that would know the ins and outs. Ford Racing might be helpful also...might be.

Lo Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Take me home
Vehicle(s)
Do a search for JohnVallo in the Drivetrain Forum. Seems like a nice fellow and has a ton of Mustang drivetrain knowledge.
Sponsored