Sponsored

2018 Active Exhaust Install Guide

fairplayinc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Convertible
The programming was different between the digital dash and the analog dash. Just throwing it out there but you did the programming correctly? I can't see them changing it for the 2019 model year but anything is possible. The curious part is, when I did the programming and had not installed the mufflers, I was getting an error message. I would think if there was a problem with your system, an error message would pop up like guys who had shorts in the wiring that needed repair.
This was my thoughts as well. I went over the programming 3 times.
The programming was different between the digital dash and the analog dash. Just throwing it out there but you did the programming correctly? I can't see them changing it for the 2019 model year but anything is possible. The curious part is, when I did the programming and had not installed the mufflers, I was getting an error message. I would think if there was a problem with your system, an error message would pop up like guys who had shorts in the wiring that needed repair.
This was my thoughts as well. I did go over the programming 3 times. See attached.

The one thing I find interesting is that some folks display the 10-01 line as 2 sets (XXXX-XXXX), and mine shows 3 sets. Not sure if that matters or if that is just they way they are showing it and it not mean anything at all.
Capture.PNG
Sponsored

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
No. I have the digital dash. 401a car.
I just looked up the programming. Digital dash requires both the changes you made and analog has a single code change. You seem to have done it correctly. Has to be something simple getting overlooked

Sponsored

fairplayinc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Convertible
I just looked up the programming. Digital dash requires both the changes you made and analog has a single code change. You seem to have done it correctly. Has to be something simple getting overlooked
I would love to hear if anyone got a 2019 working. Or someone that could pull the forscan data from a 2019 AE car.

mfoley13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium, 401a, A10, 3.55, Safe&Smart, AE
I would love to hear if anyone got a 2019 working. Or someone that could pull the forscan data from a 2019 AE car.
Here are the codes from two 2019 401A Convertibles (not PP), since I couldn't easily find an exact VIN match to your car on the Autonation site:

720-04-01 with AE: 0611 0102 0046 without AE: 0611 0002 0045

720-10-01 with AE: F000 0400 002C without AE: D000 0400 0002

So, I would change the D to F in the -10-01 line but it's not straightforward for the other since the second digit is not changing like we are used to seeing. The one on the second group (0102) does change so this may be the switch now?

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/help-wanted-s550-as-built-library.96464/ This thread tells you how to investigate programming codes by VIN.

Here are the VIN's I used
1FATP8FF2K5122325 - with AE
1FATP8FF3K5141952 - without AE

Note that on my 2018 401A digitial dash I went from 1 to E on the -10-01 line since that is what worked for someone else. I have a better understanding of the use hexidecimal numbers in this application and now know that I should have went from 1 to 3 since it only switches one thing. I've confirmed both and can't tell a difference in function.

Last edited:

fairplayinc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Convertible
Here are the codes from two 2019 401A Convertibles (not PP), since I couldn't easily find an exact VIN match to your car on the Autonation site:

720-04-01 with AE: 0611 0102 0046 without AE: 0611 0002 0045

720-10-01 with AE: F000 0400 002C without AE: D000 0400 0002

So, I would change the D to F in the -10-01 line but it's not straightforward for the other since the second digit is not changing like we are used to seeing. The one on the second group (0102) does change so this may be the switch now?

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/help-wanted-s550-as-built-library.96464/ This thread tells you how to investigate programming codes by VIN.

Here are the VIN's I used
1FATP8FF2K5122325 - with AE
1FATP8FF3K5141952 - without AE

Note that on my 2018 401A digitial dash I went from 1 to E on the -10-01 line since that is what worked for someone else. I have a better understanding of the use hexidecimal numbers in this application and now know that I should have went from 1 to 3 since it only switches one thing. I've confirmed both and can't tell a difference in function.

Thanks so much!

Just to catch up those who are following, I was able to locate my cars doppelganger+AE. With mfoleys help, I pulled the VINs AB data and crossed them. The stickers and compro data are attached. Unfortunately, even after setting it up with the AB data to match the AE car, I am still not getting the no muffler pop ups...

I returned the mufflers this morning due to them being damaged in transit. I am on the fence as to whether or not to reorder until I get this straightened out.
AE.PNG
mine.PNG
Comparison.PNG

fairplayinc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Convertible
I took it a step further ans crossed ALL AB data. See attached. I dont know where to begin at this point. I have changed the line 720-10-01 and that turns the Exhaust Mode option on in the dash but does not throw the No Muffler alert that others have gotten. If anyone else has any ideas, please chime in.

All AB Diffs.PNG

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Just wanted to give an update on mine... it's an interesting situation, and I'm kind of drawing a blank.

So, as a refresher, when i first installed mine, I was getting the "exhaust selection not available" message and it would permanently stay in track mode. However, it would occasionally randomly start working perfectly as it should, typically on cold mornings. Therefore, I figured it was a crimped wire in the "piggyback" harnesses (the ones that plug directly to the mufflers) that got damaged when the previous owner removed his AE.

After replacing those wires, I am now in an even weirder situation. The car will start up in quiet mode almost every time, and won't give me any error message. It will let me change exhaust modes in the dash, however, it won't ACTUALLY change the valves. Usually, after about 5 minutes or so, it'll give me the "exhaust selection not available" message and permanently flip to track mode while showing "normal" in the dash and not letting me change the exhaust mode.

I'm pretty lost at this point, and think I might just replace the primary harness as a last ditch effort to get it working. Any other thoughts?

Sponsored

vayea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang Ecoboost
2018 Ecoboost 201a with digital dash, auto and safe and smart package.

I have the factory plug and have installed the AE.

I reprogrammed the car to show the AE menu in the cluster hut it does not work and makes it so that the driving modes can not be changed.

The fuse box under the hood does not have the relays mentioned earlier.

This is where I'm at right now. I'm happy with the sound when it's fully open but would like to make use of the active part.

If anyone has info on what else is missing please let me know.

320guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
EB PP soon
2018 Ecoboost 201a with digital dash, auto and safe and smart package.

I have the factory plug and have installed the AE.

I reprogrammed the car to show the AE menu in the cluster hut it does not work and makes it so that the driving modes can not be changed.

The fuse box under the hood does not have the relays mentioned earlier.

This is where I'm at right now. I'm happy with the sound when it's fully open but would like to make use of the active part.

If anyone has info on what else is missing please let me know.
Yeah mine is a 2018 with 201A, with safe and smart also. The idea is to have the active part, I want to use quiet when driving with the wife and loud when by my own.

I’m trying to find a 2019 in the dealers, so I can check the fuse box.

vayea

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang Ecoboost
Yeah mine is a 2018 with 201A, with safe and smart also. The idea is to have the active part, I want to use quiet when driving with the wife and loud when by my own.

I’m trying to find a 2019 in the dealers, so I can check the fuse box.
This is the fuse box of a 2019 ecoboost with the 101a package and active exhaust option.
MVIMG_20190306_152529.jpg

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
What exactly do you mean by this? Mine is a late 2018 model, and mine only works intermittently. I got new wiring harnesses for it, and it's still being buggy
Just that another member here had identified that their car, without factory AE, had the relay in the box, but it appeared to be plugged in upside down. It would be good to inspect a car with factory AE and ensure that the relay is installed in the correct orientation before we all go flipping them around though.

fairplayinc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Convertible
Welp, for those of us with 2019's the other setting to change is in the PCM and Ford had to do it for me. $60 well spent! I am now converted to Active!
Sponsored