Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
First off, here's what we're working on: S550 As-Built Library

s550-as-built-library.gif

What is as-built?

As-Built refers to configurable elements of the modules in your S550. These are typically (but not always) limited to production features that found their way into a Ford in one of the many models and markets in which they're sold. Given that Ford has a tendency to go to the "parts bin" as often as possible, even modules which are unique to the Mustang usually share software with other models, and that software is configured using as-built data.

One example of this would be tire size. Your car knows which tires it came with, but there are many optional factory tire sizes and the car must be calibrated to each. Tire size is defined in the same line/location of as-built on the S550 as on the current generation F150, for example.

Ford currently provides entire as-built files containing all of the factory settings for a given vehicle if you provide the VIN.

You can learn a whole lot more about as-built by going here.

Why do we need this library?

A few reasons. When people are swapping in optional equipment that their car didn't come with from the factory, say Sync 3, a digital gauge cluster, or an automatic transmission - they need to play with the as-built to make things work properly. It's often most helpful to have the as-built file for a car configured as close to your car (but with your swaps) as possible.

Also, if you're trying to figure out how to unlock a feature, it's hugely helpful to have a variety of as-built files you can use to compare differently configured S550's and discern what a given line in the as-built is responsible for.

Lastly, we don't know how long Ford will maintain the availability of as-built files. These cars are relatively new, still under warranty. But ten years from now? Who can say. We might wake up tomorrow and discover that Ford has cut off public access to the as-built website. Having this data available could make a difference for someone trying to get their project car functioning properly as time goes on.

How can I contribute?

I'm glad you asked! What we need are as-built files and PDF window stickers for cars with a set of factory options that don't already exist in the library. If we already have a 2017 GT Premium 401A with Auto trans, Nav, and no other options, we don't really need another example. But if we're missing that same car with Adaptive Cruise, we need to add it to the library!

We need the window sticker so we can confirm that the corresponding as-built file is for a car with the options that whoever submitted it claimed it had. Mistakes do happen, and we could get trolled with bad info.

Unfortunately Ford has locked down their window sticker site to a certain extent, and it appears that only unsold (or recently sold) cars are available. This also means that we have a pretty limited window to get some 17 model year cars in the library before the window stickers aren't generally available to the public.

I have a process for finding VINs and window stickers. It may not be the best, but it does work. If you figure out a better way, let us all know.

Step one: Go to AutoTrader and do an advanced search. Set the distance from your ZIP to any distance, and make sure you check the "New" condition box. Then choose whatever options you're looking for and do a search.

Step two: On each listing, you should be able to see a VIN. The listings are a terrible source for info. The people who work at dealerships and are responsible for internet listings are overwhelmingly bad at their jobs. But don't despair! We can take that VIN and add it to the end of this URL: http://www.windowsticker.forddirect.com/windowsticker.pdf?vin= to get a window sticker, like this:

ford-window-sticker-site-example.gif

After you've pulled up the window sticker, save it to your machine. By default, it's saved as "windowsticker.pdf" and I always replace "windowsticker" with the VIN.

Step three: go to Ford's as-built website. The first time you visit this link, it asks you to select a country and language. Then, unhelpfully, it redirects you to the home page rather than the as-built page. So you'll need to close the tab/window and click on this link a second time: https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt Once you have the page that's asking you for a VIN, paste it and click submit. After a while you'll get a page with as-built info on it and a button that says "Download File." The downloaded file will be named in the format "VIN.ab" - no need to change the filename.

Step four: Now it's time to add a record to the library. Go here and click the "Add Record" link near the top of the page. You'll need to input the VIN, choose the .ab and .pdf files you saved, and select all of the options that car has. That will be added to the public library and now other people will be able to access it.

It seems like we need a drop down selector or checkbox for XYZ

I've tried to limit the selections available to options which affect as-built. Paint options, appearance packages, and certain special editions like the California Special do not have any effect on as-built which I can discern. Wheel sizes do have an effect on as-built, but we've already mapped that part of the S550 genome.

Some options, like Shaker Pro and BLIS, are tied to higher-level packages, so it would be redundant to have them listed.

So if it's something that you genuinely think affects as-built, let me know and we can decide on whether or not it needs to be added.

What if your website goes offline, or you get weird and disappear?

I worry about this too (especially the getting weird part) and I can provide a CSV of the database as well as a zip file containing all of the .ab and .pdf files to anyone who wishes to keep a backup safe.
Sponsored

MakStang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cellentis.uk
First Name
Makis
Vehicle(s)
A 2017 miraculous little beast
Nice work [MENTION=25607]Spart[/MENTION]. I will upload my as built data soon.

Seatown Stang

HereWeGo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
is there a trick to the Window Sticker site? I have been trying to pull stickers for a while and anything thatch not a new car doesn't pull up anymore.

OP
OP
Spart

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
is there a trick to the Window Sticker site? I have been trying to pull stickers for a while and anything thatch not a new car doesn't pull up anymore.
No trick, that's just how it is now as I mentioned. Maybe somebody on the inside can help with that.

Unfortunately Ford has locked down their window sticker site to a certain extent, and it appears that only unsold (or recently sold) cars are available. This also means that we have a pretty limited window to get some 17 model year cars in the library before the window stickers aren't generally available to the public.

Falk03

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Falk
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Convertible
What do you think about adding a column for the market? US, EU or China?
IMHO all the other fall into one of these categories.

Cheers
Falk

Sponsored

BDMACH1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
This should be stickied!

How about expanding the library to other year S550's?!?

OP
OP
Spart

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
What do you think about adding a column for the market? US, EU or China?
IMHO all the other fall into one of these categories.

Cheers
Falk
That was one of the fields I setup for input but it got left off the grid display by mistake, fixed.

How about expanding the library to other year S550's?!?
It's open to 2015-2018 currently, 2017's are just what I was focused on when I amassed the collection of files that I have. I leave it to you guys to add more years and variety! See the "How can I contribute?" section.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium w/PP
Put up my 2016 GT Premium PP, there was another but mine had Nav and RSS unlike the other. I had saved my window sticker when I bought the car, so I put a copy up.

I hope other's support this, might be interesting/useful.

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
Added my GT350 info...thanks!

OP
OP
Spart

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Thanks for the submissions guys. Just a quick update to the submission rules - please add the VIN to the filename of your window sticker. Down the road it will help if the files aren't saved as WindowSticker.pdf and WindowSticker(1).pdf and so on.

I'll probably try to update the site to enforce this, actually.

Sponsored

NHMustang

Live Free and Drive
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hmmmm - It says it cannot upload my PDF for my window sticker :confused:

OP
OP
Spart

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
1FATP8FF1F5372872.pdf
Trying to think of what the problem could be... I just found a GT350R and added that, so no issue there. Is there a specific error message that's being displayed?

Are you positive you didn't switch the .ab and .pdf files around when selecting them?

There's a file upload size limit of 2000kb. All of the window sticker files I've come across that came from Ford's website are around 1800kb. Is your pdf file from there or did you get it some other way? I may need to raise the limit to allow for people scanning their own stickers.

If the answer to both of those is no, I'll PM you my email so you can send me the files and I can troubleshoot it further.

NHMustang

Live Free and Drive
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Trying to think of what the problem could be... I just found a GT350R and added that, so no issue there. Is there a specific error message that's being displayed?

Are you positive you didn't switch the .ab and .pdf files around when selecting them?

There's a file upload size limit of 2000kb. All of the window sticker files I've come across that came from Ford's website are around 1800kb. Is your pdf file from there or did you get it some other way? I may need to raise the limit to allow for people scanning their own stickers.

If the answer to both of those is no, I'll PM you my email so you can send me the files and I can troubleshoot it further.

Ahhhhh - I have a scanned copy. I used to have the original ford pdf but I overwrote it a while back and now the site wont display the window sticker.

3375KB! there's the problem!
Sponsored