Sponsored

2018 Active Exhaust Install Guide

gatormark91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 401A Velocity Blue
These just came in today! Picked them up with the harnes for, get this... $100 SHIPPED!! As soon as I buy a laptop for Forscan, they’ll go on the car!

Quick question regarding Forscan... I saw on the Forscan thread that they use either Bluetooth or WiFi connected OBDII connectors. Does anyone here know if the hardwired OBDII-HDMI from my SCT X4 or if an OBDII-USB would work the same?
9390A265-988A-4A2C-9709-D56B1B2F3042.jpeg
Um, did they hack them off right at the forward side of the mufflers?
Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Pro tip: you can buy a Microsoft Surface from Best Buy, use it, and then return it. That's what I did to change my settings.

(The idea was actually suggested to me by the Best Buy employee when I explained why I needed the Surface.)
Not a bad idea! I'll have to look into this

Um, did they hack them off right at the forward side of the mufflers?
Yep, cut them off about an inch from the factory weld to weld on straight pipes. Nothing I can't fix with a little bit of welding myself. I'll take that little bit of extra work for the insane amount of money I saved

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Got my mufflers welded on today, and they line up perfectly on the car! Also downloaded Forscan and got all the licensing last night, so now I just have to wait for my OBD plug to come in and program it! Question for you guys, were the mufflers in track mode by default before you programmed the car?
115DA81C-6B84-4088-B91A-863F45B88F40.jpeg
8BB2B2C7-39D0-4E0A-9E78-F287E2A66A3E.jpeg
CC6BFE4D-B427-4B5D-9752-4AFA8E1B8321.jpeg

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Yes they are in track mode by default.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
So, got everything hooked up and programmed the following lines in FORScan:
720-04-01 x4xx xxxx xxxx
720-10-01 Exxx xxxx

But the valves are still in track mode, and my cluster is telling me "exhaust mode selection unavailable", although the menu option is available in the cluster. I know the valves worked before I put them on my car... does it seem like I did anything wrong? and what should I do to try and fix it? I tried unplugging the main harness and plugging it back in, but haven't unplugged the plugs to the motors yet as they're kind of a pain in the ass to get to

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Update: Also tried replacing both fuses and taking the battery out for about 10 minutes to reset everything. At first when I turned on the car, I didn't get the message. But as soon as I tried to switch exhaust modes, it reverted back to "normal" (keep in mind, the butterfly valves are still fully open) and gave me the message again. Also of note, it still lets me change drive modes (I read in another thread that for some people, when the active exhaust stops, it'll keep them in normal mode) but doesn't change the exhaust at all

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Is the wiring new or used? Guys were having issues when they did exhaust work and pinched the wiring, causing a short.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I saw that... wiring is used, but all wires appear in tact and not crimped or cut. I can check it closer when I try unplugging the harnesses from the mufflers. I guess at that point I can also try to use a multimeter on it to see if it's getting any current.

Speaking of which, I'd rather not drop the mufflers to unplug it, but I can't quite see how it's unplugged (squeeze and pull or lift and pull). Would it just be simpler to drop the mufflers?

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Well, can't believe this happened... haven't touched the exhaust system at all since my last post. Well, I came out to head to work this morning, turned on the car, and it was dead silent! I couldn't believe it, so (to my neighbor's dismay) I gave it a switch to track mode, and voila! It got loud! It was then that I realized the "exhaust mode selection not available" message was no longer displayed

Don't ask me what happened, boys, because I have no idea. All i know is that the car gods must've visited me in my sleep, because now my active exhaust works like a dream! Thanks to everyone in this thread for all the help!

2015VAStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach1 HP , 21 f250 , 97 4runner, 22 Streetglide
Does anyone have a part # for the wiring from the actuators to the plugs in the harness. I bought my 18 used(548 miles on it) and someone removed the active exhaust for corsa sport. I have the mufflers now with actuators in tack but the wiring plug I'd missing from the car.
Screenshot_20190213-105808~2.png

Sponsored

KewlWinter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EcoBoost Premium+ Ruby Red
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone have a part # for the wiring from the actuators to the plugs in the harness. I bought my 18 used(548 miles on it) and someone removed the active exhaust for corsa sport. I have the mufflers now with actuators in tack but the wiring plug I'd missing from the car.
Screenshot_20190213-105808~2.png
Jumpers
JR3Z-14A411-J Wire Assembly - Jumper (1)
JR3Z-14A411-H Wire Assembly - Jumper (2)

2015VAStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
It just blows my mind someone buys an avtive car and takes it off.
When I start the car I get a message (active exhaust not avaliable) . I hope when I get the jumpers it all works smoothly.
I know none active corsa is 600 bucks cheaper but your doing away with a 900 option on the car. Come on man!!!

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Well, can't believe this happened... haven't touched the exhaust system at all since my last post. Well, I came out to head to work this morning, turned on the car, and it was dead silent! I couldn't believe it, so (to my neighbor's dismay) I gave it a switch to track mode, and voila! It got loud! It was then that I realized the "exhaust mode selection not available" message was no longer displayed

Don't ask me what happened, boys, because I have no idea. All i know is that the car gods must've visited me in my sleep, because now my active exhaust works like a dream! Thanks to everyone in this thread for all the help!
And just like that, it stops working again. Went out and took a video of the active exhaust in action, then turned the car off. Went out to the car about 20 minutes later, turned it on, and "exhaust mode selection not available". All I can think is that it HAS to be the wiring... maybe there's a crimp somewhere that, when the exhaust shifts a certain way paired with expansion from rising temperatures, it "closes the circuit". Guess I'll be ordering some new wiring and seeing if that helps

2015VAStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
And just like that, it stops working again. Went out and took a video of the active exhaust in action, then turned the car off. Went out to the car about 20 minutes later, turned it on, and "exhaust mode selection not available". All I can think is that it HAS to be the wiring... maybe there's a crimp somewhere that, when the exhaust shifts a certain way paired with expansion from rising temperatures, it "closes the circuit". Guess I'll be ordering some new wiring and seeing if that helps
The part numbers for jumper wires are above. I called my local dealer. $25 for one and $22 the other . Not to bad. I ordered mine and will be here in a week.
Sponsored