Sponsored

The new 7.3 V8 fits in the Mustang......

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
According to Mike Levine (Ford Product Communications Manager).....

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...ng-could-get-a-7-3-liter-v-8-heavy-duty-heart

Now, we know Ford execs are tight-lipped about future product (remember the trouble Jim Owens got into for "Venom kills demons"??).....so why would Mike Levine say this?

Now, the idea of a big block Mustang should excite me. BUT....this 7.3 has been built for heavy duty hauling in mind. No doubt it'll be heavy as its an iron block, and low tech with pushrods and no sign of DI. HP isn't likely to be much more than the 460hp of the Coyote, although I'm sure it'll have MUCH more torque.

However, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but the anticipated hybrid Mustang might just be more appealing, at least if it really does have the V8 coupled to battery power (the new Aviator hybrid s 450hp & 600 lb/ft). Sure, that'll be heavy too, but if the weight of the batteries is more toward the middle of the car, rather than in front of the front axle, at least it shouldn't impact handling as much.

Perhaps and aluminium block version of the 7.3 would be a better bet......but would Ford really produce one for such low volumes, even if it was shared with the Raptor? I doubt it.
Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I agree and doubt it too.

SVTSNAKE355

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
hothands
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT500
that motor would be great for a BOSS 429,RAPTOR,a 4 door car,and a 32v for the next GT500,and a new lightning.:like:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It won't go in the Mustang, not even for a SE.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
It won't go in the Mustang, not even for a SE.
That was always my assumption, even when rumors started about a potential big block engine a year or so ago. I just wonder why Mike Levine would stoke those fires? Seems to fly in the face of the usual corporate "we don't discuss future product" remit.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Never say never. The camaro is sporting a 6 liter. It would definitely be a way to one up the competition in a special model like a destroked version for a Boss 429. They would probably have to build an all aluminum version. Supposedly there is a higher performance version already built, possibly for the Raptor. It also has bosses in the head for DI so Ford is not done with this engine by far. The question is how much would a limited edition low volume car affect their café numbers.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Café? You mean Cars & Coffee? Well, with a heavier front end, probably more bottom torque...my calculations are showing a death toll in the 1000s.
Funny, but you know what I mean.

Boss Bandit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT (Lightning Blue), 1998 Camaro SS
I can see it becoming an optional motor for the Raptor eventually just because the packaging legwork will already be done for the F Series, but it'd be an odd fit for what the Mustang is now. I'd love to see a Boss 429 to send off the S550 as the real competitor for the Demon (since a heavy big block won't be of much use on a road course), but I find it unlikely, and frankly not worth the packaging headaches Ford would have to deal with for such a niche vehicle that won't see much, if anything, trickle down to the "lesser" Mustang line like we see with the Shelbys and Boss 302.

You can accomplish most of what big blocks traditionally accomplished via forced induction in terms of go-fast applications, which is what Ford has been focusing on, and will continue to do so if the Ford GT, Gen 2 Raptor, and GT500 are any indication, as well as all of their ST EcoBoost lineup. This 7.3 was designed for towing, and I don't see them doing much else with it beyond that, aside from just to have an interesting engine choice for the Raptor (hopefully, since the engine note of the 3.5 just doesn't match the rest of that truck's personality).

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
According to Mike Levine (Ford Product Communications Manager).....

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...ng-could-get-a-7-3-liter-v-8-heavy-duty-heart

Now, we know Ford execs are tight-lipped about future product (remember the trouble Jim Owens got into for "Venom kills demons"??).....so why would Mike Levine say this?

Now, the idea of a big block Mustang should excite me. BUT....this 7.3 has been built for heavy duty hauling in mind. No doubt it'll be heavy as its an iron block, and low tech with pushrods and no sign of DI. HP isn't likely to be much more than the 460hp of the Coyote, although I'm sure it'll have MUCH more torque.

However, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but the anticipated hybrid Mustang might just be more appealing, at least if it really does have the V8 coupled to battery power (the new Aviator hybrid s 450hp & 600 lb/ft). Sure, that'll be heavy too, but if the weight of the batteries is more toward the middle of the car, rather than in front of the front axle, at least it shouldn't impact handling as much.

Perhaps and aluminium block version of the 7.3 would be a better bet......but would Ford really produce one for such low volumes, even if it was shared with the Raptor? I doubt it.

This is a dream come true to a guy like me and I hate to say his to my V6 partners but if it’s possible I actually could go for this. I still think old fashioned is the way to go. I thought the GT500 was going big block as there was a 7 litre motor on a skid greeting me every day at Multimatic.

I don’t know what I’m so happy about cause that motor had Ford racing cast parts on it. But whatever.

V8s Forever!!!!!

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
That was always my assumption, even when rumors started about a potential big block engine a year or so ago. I just wonder why Mike Levine would stoke those fires? Seems to fly in the face of the usual corporate "we don't discuss future product" remit.
Because it's better than the 'no comment' schtick. There is no reason they'd put that engine in the Mustang. It's a HD truck engine, designed to be a truck engine (thus iron block, long stroke) for where CAFE doesn't matter. The investment required to make it suited to a car makes zero sense when they have a badass, powerful (and efficient) Coyote inching very near 100 hp/L.

Anyone thinking this will go in a production car from Ford isn't thinking about it logically.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Keep the motor simple in design with pushrods and it would probably be the same size or smaller and weight the same as a 5.0 coyote. Heck I saw an LS7 put into a BRZ.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Because it's better than the 'no comment' schtick. There is no reason they'd put that engine in the Mustang. It's a HD truck engine, designed to be a truck engine (thus iron block, long stroke) for where CAFE doesn't matter. The investment required to make it suited to a car makes zero sense when they have a badass, powerful (and efficient) Coyote inching very near 100 hp/L.

Anyone thinking this will go in a production car from Ford isn't thinking about it logically.

It ain’t logical. A Vioer isn’t logical but it’s demsie was that old farts like me wanted an old fashioned hot rod and got this gutless wonder instead.

We want to peal out at low revs... just like in the old days. Stick a fucking carborator on it for all I care. And I’m serious!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It ain’t logical. A Vioer isn’t logical but it’s demsie was that old farts like me wanted an old fashioned hot rod and got this gutless wonder instead.

We want to peal out at low revs... just like in the old days. Stick a fucking carborator on it for all I care. And I’m serious!
And there aren't enough of you that would actually buy one to justify the price it would need to command to get enough margin to pay for CAFE fines and the investment to make it work as a car engine.

The Coyote is a fantastic engine and outclasses pretty much anything made from the time you're referring to. You want to peel out with no revs? Get a GT and put 4.09 gears in it.

Calling it gutless is one of the most ignorant things I've seen on this forum. Push the pedal down FFS.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I can see it becoming an optional motor for the Raptor eventually just because the packaging legwork will already be done for the F Series, but it'd be an odd fit for what the Mustang is now. I'd love to see a Boss 429 to send off the S550 as the real competitor for the Demon (since a heavy big block won't be of much use on a road course), but I find it unlikely, and frankly not worth the packaging headaches Ford would have to deal with for such a niche vehicle that won't see much, if anything, trickle down to the "lesser" Mustang line like we see with the Shelbys and Boss 302.

You can accomplish most of what big blocks traditionally accomplished via forced induction in terms of go-fast applications, which is what Ford has been focusing on, and will continue to do so if the Ford GT, Gen 2 Raptor, and GT500 are any indication, as well as all of their ST EcoBoost lineup. This 7.3 was designed for towing, and I don't see them doing much else with it beyond that, aside from just to have an interesting engine choice for the Raptor (hopefully, since the engine note of the 3.5 just doesn't match the rest of that truck's personality).
What do you think the new Gt500 engine weighs with the supercharger? The whole car is now over 4000 lbs. i honestly doubt there is much weight difference between the 7.3 and the supercharged 5.2. The idea may never happen but I don’t think weight has much to do with it. Probably wouldn’t be a big deal to come up with an aluminum block for it.
Sponsored