Sponsored

The new 7.3 V8 fits in the Mustang......

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
I'm an old school mechanic myself, recently restored a '66 Stingray 427 big block coupe including a total rebuild of the engine. It has a carburetor which it should have. Love the smell! On a modern car I think I'd prefer fuel injection. You will see more than a few Mustangs get this engine swap
Sponsored

JCFoster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Vert, 3.15, A6, Magnetic
I wished they’d perfect the motors they have now than worry about the next one.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
With all the issues and noises that the 3rd gen 5.0 is having lately, I’d be in for an ohv V8 with a simpler, quieter design. Even downsizing the new engine to a 6 liter and fitting it in a Mustang would be a welcome change.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Plenty of engine designs out there with aluminum and iron versions - modular Ford, GM LS, even old fashioned Chevy big blocks. I am sure that the design would have to be strengthened but the architecture is there.
Yes, it can be designed-in if an engine is meant for modularity and many purposes, but it will not be optimal for either (coolant passages, wall thickness, structural ribbing have to change in the head and block). This engine is for trucks. Ford is moving away from V8s in everything else, and even in the F150 it's fairly low take rate compared to the turbo 6s.

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
Does chevy and dodge have a problem getting thru emissions. And designing a pushrod motor would make a bit cheaper motor to produce. As a potential future GT owner, I would certainly be in line for this motor if they don't produce a mustang with a twin turbo v6. I would prefer the big block though. But like FATGUY says, the GT in comparison to a lot of performance and regular cars is pretty close to gutless down low unless driving with the pedal to the floor with the high gear ratios and high revving nature of the coyote. Its disappointing when my wifes SUV is quicker and more fun driving around town. When she drove the GT on a test drive she said "well at least I don't need to worry about spinning out like I was so worried about" This lack of torque is really the only one reason I don't own one yet. I have yet to drive an A10 yet though. Spring time is soon here.

Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You can always put truck cams and intake/tune on your Mustang

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Never say never. The camaro is sporting a 6 liter. It would definitely be a way to one up the competition in a special model like a destroked version for a Boss 429. They would probably have to build an all aluminum version. Supposedly there is a higher performance version already built, possibly for the Raptor. It also has bosses in the head for DI so Ford is not done with this engine by far. The question is how much would a limited edition low volume car affect their café numbers.
camaro is dead on the vine Ford isn't worried about it's last gasps and this 7.3 ain't going into the Mustang. Does everyone remember the 351 v10 ford teased us with now that would have been bad ass.

Last edited:

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
You can always put truck cams and intake/tune on your Mustang
I would seriously consider the truck manifold from what I've seen. I would love to have a super charger on my 05 like I see you have on your 05 or on a new GT too. Actually I feel it might be too much power then. I have a good feeling that a couple bolt ons and a good tune will have me content with the torque. My bolt on Lito tuned 05 GT has me content with the torque enough. My problem was I couldn't bring myself 2 years ago to buy a $30000+ GT and throw the warranty out the window to get the performance I was looking for. Soon I might plan to pick up a sub $25000 GT and not be afraid to modify. I just think a nice big block would give all the power needed and no tuning needed to have fun with a warranty.

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't seen any dyno comparisons between the stock manifold and the truck manifold, but if low range torque gains are substantial I would consider doing it on my '15. Reason is, I don't really rev the engine that high very often. My '05 is the one I beat on, the '15 is just a car that we can get caught in the rain and weekend transportation. The '05 Whipple stroker motor really lays the power down bottom to 7500 with the stage 2 cams.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I haven't seen any dyno comparisons between the stock manifold and the truck manifold, but if low range torque gains are substantial I would consider doing it on my '15. Reason is, I don't really rev the engine that high very often. My '05 is the one I beat on, the '15 is just a car that we can get caught in the rain and weekend transportation. The '05 Whipple stroker motor really lays the power down bottom to 7500 with the stage 2 cams.
It's pretty significant. Big increase in the 2.5-4k range (duh, towing). Power starts falling hard at 6k though.

The 18 GT manifold on the other hand makes it feel like it revs super fast, and because of that, the high revs feel more accessible than the stock 15 manifold. I DD mine and zero regrets on it. No losses below 3k, big gains above 4k.

Sponsored

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd be more into the truck manifold as I rarely rev past 6k. I mean, maybe once a month I rev to 7k. Mostly just normal driving for the most part with my '15

17Magnetic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 premium mustang gt black accent package
It would be cool to see this engine offered as a crate engine and stick it in a restomod mustang or f150

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
According to Mike Levine (Ford Product Communications Manager).....

https://www.motorauthority.com/news...ng-could-get-a-7-3-liter-v-8-heavy-duty-heart

Now, we know Ford execs are tight-lipped about future product (remember the trouble Jim Owens got into for "Venom kills demons"??).....so why would Mike Levine say this?

Now, the idea of a big block Mustang should excite me. BUT....this 7.3 has been built for heavy duty hauling in mind. No doubt it'll be heavy as its an iron block, and low tech with pushrods and no sign of DI. HP isn't likely to be much more than the 460hp of the Coyote, although I'm sure it'll have MUCH more torque.

However, and I can't believe I'm saying this, but the anticipated hybrid Mustang might just be more appealing, at least if it really does have the V8 coupled to battery power (the new Aviator hybrid s 450hp & 600 lb/ft). Sure, that'll be heavy too, but if the weight of the batteries is more toward the middle of the car, rather than in front of the front axle, at least it shouldn't impact handling as much.

Perhaps and aluminium block version of the 7.3 would be a better bet......but would Ford really produce one for such low volumes, even if it was shared with the Raptor? I doubt it.
I've heard that the motor weighs around 500lbs.
There are a few people on another forum that's awesome at being Super Sleuths.
Take it for what it is........

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
Why carborators in 2019? Because I can!!!!!
Meanwhile, most hot rodders that I know, including my father-in-law, who daily drives a 1968 C-10 pickup, are swapping their carbs for computer controlled EFI, because it's easier to tune, gives better results, and just works. No more adjusting jetting, no more choke, no more flooding.

JR
Sponsored